PDA

View Full Version : Field of Merrilor

GonzoTheGreat
01-03-2011, 05:56 AM
According to the official plans, Rand will meet Egwene on the Field of Merrilor, right before he goes off to Shayol Ghul to break the Seals and fight the DO. Egwene is planning to gather all the rulers of the world and their armies there in order to confront Rand and convince him to ... well, I do not really know what it is that she wants as an alternative, but that's not relevant here either.

I just had a thought:
Suppose that instead of going there, Rand sends a message "sorry, couldn't make it, have gone to the Pit of Doom already, hope you all survive, bye". Then what's Egwene gonna do?

FelixPax
01-03-2011, 07:09 AM
According to the official plans, Rand will meet Egwene on the Field of Merrilor, right before he goes off to Shayol Ghul to break the Seals and fight the DO.

A re-working of past official events again once?

"They were far away, the men of Manetheren, on the Field of Bekkar, called the Field of Blood, when news came that a Trolloc army was moving against their home. Too far to do else but wait to hear of their land's death, for the forces of the Dark One meant to make an end of them. Kill the mighty oak by hacking away its roots. Too far to do else but mourn. But they were the men of the Mountain Home.

The Eye of the World, Chapter 9 "Tellings of the Wheel" -- Rand al'Thor point of view; Moiraine speaking, with Mat, Perrin, Lan, Thom et la listening

Egwene is planning to gather all the rulers of the world and their armies there in order to confront Rand and convince him to ... well, I do not really know what it is that she wants as an alternative, but that's not relevant here either.

Stubborn?
Egwene's just a tad thin skinned about her "authority"...

I just had a thought:
Suppose that instead of going there, Rand sends a message "sorry, couldn't make it, have gone to the Pit of Doom already, hope you all survive, bye". Then what's Egwene gonna do?

Nah... Rand al'Thor should leave a letter to Egwene al'Vere stating... he's gone after Mierin for old time sake. World be damned! ;)

Remember Rand's attitude at Falme with the Horn, and "saving" Egwene al'Vere life? Well, Egwene has an army around herself... so why would Rand stress about Egwene's safety currently? However... his ancient flame is in trouble!

Meanwhile Mat Cauthon is off in never-neverland with Moiraine & Thom....

Juan
01-03-2011, 12:24 PM
That would be pretty funny..

I've been looking around (lazily I'll admit) and haven't figured out where the Fields of Merrilor are. Anyone know?

Terez
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Rand said it was just north of Tar Valon.

GonzoTheGreat
01-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, but he was a bit of an optimist:
It wasn't until Gawyn stood there-smelling the musty scent of old paper and burning candles-that he felt the reality of the impending war. It was coming soon. The Dragon would break the seals of the Dark One's prison. The place he had told Egwene to meet him, the Field of Merrilor, was marked in bright red on the maps. It was north, on the border of Shienar.

Terez
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
They should have just met at the Field of Talidar, then. It's closer.

FelixPax
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
They should have just met at the Field of Talidar, then. It's closer.

Debatable.

Juan
01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
They should've had a tea party in Shayol Ghul. The Shadow would never see it coming. Always the last place you look. Tea party ends and the Light can kick some ass without having to go anywhere.

FelixPax
01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
They should've had a tea party in Shayol Ghul. The Shadow would never see it coming. Always the last place you look. Tea party ends and the Light can kick some ass without having to go anywhere.

Or even better crash a tea party, hosted by the Aelfinn & Eelfinn?
Then threaten to utter the Dark One's real name, if they don't help out. ;)

Terez
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Debatable.
This from the guy who thinks Lanfear=Cyndane is debatable.

FelixPax
01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
This from the guy who thinks Lanfear=Cyndane is debatable.

Not debatable, as Mierin never was Cyndane. :D

Guess Terez didn't notice Mierin's missing "Silver Jewelry" in TofM... nor its symbolism. :p

Oh, I forgot... has Terez altered her "Gawyn Will Kill Rand" theory? Or not?

Sodas
01-04-2011, 12:46 AM
According to the official plans, Rand will meet Egwene on the Field of Merrilor, right before he goes off to Shayol Ghul to break the Seals and fight the DO. Egwene is planning to gather all the rulers of the world and their armies there in order to confront Rand and convince him to ... well, I do not really know what it is that she wants as an alternative, but that's not relevant here either.

I just had a thought:

Rand is powerful, no doubt, but the Borderlander's threat to kill Rand underlined the point that Rand isn't required for the Light to win this Last Battle. The Borderlander's were willing to kill Rand if he wasn't Lewis Therin and take their chance fighting TG without the Dragon Reborn. Some statement of faith that this Last Battle is not to be won purely with Saidin.

My feeling has long been that this TG is to be won by the use of T'A'R. As has been said before, Lanfear's role in creating the Bore seems to lead to it's sealing. More recently, we have now seen an object in TAR effect the Real World (Dreamspike) which unravels the Traveling weave, and also at the same time projects an protective bubble-like shield. I think it's important to note both effects, because it opens a great deal of what if's.

What if you could take a bubble of TAR and use it to reseal the Bore? What if you could you tie it to a physical object and move it around like the Dreamspike was? What if we had someone who could build Ter'angrael(Egwene) or Power Forged weapons (Perrin and Naeld).

So I think, to go back to your question, it's not so surprising Rand is going to actually have to convince the women that he's got a good plan this time around. But I think Egwene and Perrin, Naeld too, are all there before Rand and could possibly reason out how to Seal the Dark One without Rand. But I think that with Rand, it will be a great deal smoother.

GonzoTheGreat
01-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Rand is powerful, no doubt, but the Borderlander's threat to kill Rand underlined the point that Rand isn't required for the Light to win this Last Battle. The Borderlander's were willing to kill Rand if he wasn't Lewis Therin and take their chance fighting TG without the Dragon Reborn. Some statement of faith that this Last Battle is not to be won purely with Saidin.Obviously, it won't be won purely with Saidin. Otherwise any one of the notorious False Dragons could have done it long since.

On the other hand, I doubt your idea that the Borderlanders hoped to win without Rand:
"I see him before you!" Paitar quoted. "Him, the one who lives many lives, the one who gives deaths, the one who raises mountains. He will break what he must break, but first he stands here, before our king. You will bloody him! Measure his restraint. He speaks! How was the fallen slain? Tellindal Tirraso, murdered by his hand, the darkness that came the day after the light. You must ask, and you must know your fate. If he cannot answer . . ."

He trailed off, falling silent.

"What?" Min asked.

"If he cannot answer," Paitar said, "then you will be lost. You will bring his end swiftly, so that the final days may have their storm. So that Light may not be consumed by he who was to have preserved it. I see him. And I weep."Nothing at all in there to even suggest that the Light could be preserved without Rand.

FelixPax
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
My feeling has long been that this TG is to be won by the use of T'A'R. As has been said before, Lanfear's role in creating the Bore seems to lead to it's sealing.

I've thought for a long time, that Mierin/Lanfear was a key for Rand al'Thor, finding an entrance way into Shayol Ghul. Let alone aiding the re-sealing of the Bore, itself.

Selene cut him off. "If he wants to go in, alantin, he needs a door. Such as that one." She pointed to a dark patch a little down the wall. Even with her telling him, Rand was not certain it was a door, but when she strode to it and pulled, it opened.

The Great Hunt, Chapter 27 "The Shadow in the Night" -- Rand al'Thor point of view; with Selene/Lanfear/Mierin, Loial.

Mierin has walked into the Bore previously. She alone among those of the Light, knows how to literally walk into the Bore. Mierin found Rand a door once before. She can do it again.

Padan Fain knows who is coming, to Shayol Ghul, too. (TofM)
He read it on the walls of Fal Dara, in the 'Dark Prophecy'.

alleluia_cone
01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm firmly in the camp that thinks this will play out in a way unseen by Egwene and am pretty much convinced that Lanfear/Cyndane/Mierin (Felix is choking right now) threw the mother of all monkey wrenches into proceedings with the dream encounter. I really wonder what Rand is going to do at this point and where rescuing Lanfear ranks on his priorities. There is also Moiraine to consider. In any case, prior to the dream, Rand made it clear he planned on meeting with Egwene and her posse of sniffers, so if Rand were to pull a disappearing act, the dream would almost have to be the catalyst -- which I don't find entirely convincing. The only way this would have worked was if Rand had become increasingly desperate over the course of ToM about what to do about the Bore, to the point where we would find it believable that dropping everything and rescuing Lanfear seemed a natural reaction in his progression to grasping at straws. The problem is, he wasn't all too bothered last time we saw him about the issue; he was almost acting as if Min would solve the problem for him any day now (which, incidentally, keeps him firmly in the horse race for dumbest character in ToM -- well, if we disqualify Elayne to start with).

FelixPax
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm firmly in the camp that thinks this will play out in a way unseen by Egwene and am pretty much convinced that Lanfear/Cyndane/Mierin (Felix is choking right now) threw the mother of all monkey wrenches into proceedings with the dream encounter.

Extreme love or hate in person's dream, according the Wise Ones can seek out a Dreamer. As Gawyn does to Egwene previously.

Moridin wants to kill Rand, and loaths him. Mierin, I think was misguided in her actions, but truly does love the Dragon. Either or both could have draw in Rand in TofM.

However, Moridin can reach Rand in a way no other can too: the bizarre two-way mental link.

I really wonder what Rand is going to do at this point and where rescuing Lanfear ranks on his priorities. There is also Moiraine to consider.

Sorry, if you took that joke of mine seriously--"World be Damned! Rand goes off after Mierin." ;)
I've heard humor goes down better....

On the less humorous side, I seriously do think Mat Cauthon will "save" Mierin. As he has one more Aes Sedai to "save", to fulfill one of Egwene al'Vere Dreams foretellings.

Res_Ipsa
01-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Depending on the timelines I am almost certain Rand is gathering his and his "allies" forces there to be able to respond to the Shadowspawn's mass invasion that was only blunted in ToM at Maradon. Tar Valon is not some Red Herring throne in to distract us, where else for the Last Battle. If you read the series to be a series of battles some small others larger for the Dragon's heart and soul then what more perfect place for his forces to hold out. It would be feasible for the Seanchan to arrive as well while all hell is breaking loose.

The Immortal One
01-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Nothing at all in there to even suggest that the Light could be preserved without Rand.

I agree with Gonzo about the point of that Foretelling.

If the Borderlanders killed Rand it would have been really bad - the Dark One would have broken free with no Dragon to face him.

But if Rand couldn't answer and they didn't kill him it would have been even worse - the Dark One would have broken free with Rand balancing on the brink of turning to the Dark side.

The problem is, he wasn't all too bothered last time we saw him about the issue; he was almost acting as if Min would solve the problem for him any day now (which, incidentally, keeps him firmly in the horse race for dumbest character in ToM -- well, if we disqualify Elayne to start with).

I don't think he's simply hoping and wishing that Min will supply him with an entire solution any day now.

I distinctly got the impression that he has an almost fully-formed plan and he only needs Min to supply the last piece to the puzzle. Sort of like when the Aelfinn (Eelfinn? anyway, the snakes - I never remember which is which) supplied him with the basic idea for cleansing Saidin, but he had to figure out how to make it into a workable plan.

Besides, hoping to luck and the Pattern might not be too bad a plan for a Ta'veren as strong as Rand - especially with Perrin and, soon, Mat nearby.

morat'corlm
01-05-2011, 02:49 AM
If the Borderlanders killed Rand it would have been really bad - the Dark One would have broken free with no Dragon to face him.

But if Rand couldn't answer and they didn't kill him it would have been even worse - the Dark One would have broken free with Rand balancing on the brink of turning to the Dark side.How would one be worse than the other? If Shai'tan broke free, Dark Rand would be destroyed along with the rest of the Darkfriends and everything else. Or are you just referring to the breaking of the seals as "breaking free"?

We know that there can be partial victories or defeats for Shai'tan. We've also been given a number of indications that the Dragon's presence is probably required for Shai'tan's complete victory and the destruction of the Pattern, absent enormous quantities of balefire. Killing a Dark Rand might result in a future for this world like the one in the mirror world Lanfear took Rand to in TGH, but not necessarily in Shai'tan breaking free/destroying all worlds altogether.

Crispin's Crispian
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
How would one be worse than the other? If Shai'tan broke free, Dark Rand would be destroyed along with the rest of the Darkfriends and everything else. Or are you just referring to the breaking of the seals as "breaking free"?

We know that there can be partial victories or defeats for Shai'tan. We've also been given a number of indications that the Dragon's presence is probably required for Shai'tan's complete victory and the destruction of the Pattern, absent enormous quantities of balefire. Killing a Dark Rand might result in a future for this world like the one in the mirror world Lanfear took Rand to in TGH, but not necessarily in Shai'tan breaking free/destroying all worlds altogether.

This.

Rand is necessary for a complete victory by either side. The Dark One cannot escape without Rand, and also cannot be (relatively) permanently sealed without him.

Sodas
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Obviously, it won't be won purely with Saidin. Otherwise any one of the notorious False Dragons could have done it long since.

Then why suggest Rand leave Egwene and the nations she is gathering behind? Perhaps you should explain what Rand would need to bring with him so that it's not just the same thing as the first strike on SG.

On the other hand, I doubt your idea that the Borderlanders hoped to win without Rand

I think by now, we all realize that the Dragon is not only necessary for the Light to win, but the Dark as well. It's the key piece for both sides to win. The Dark One needs the Dragon and certain circumstances in order to completely destroy the Pattern as is his intention. Rand was at that point in TGS as he came close to completely destroying the Pattern.

You remove Rand, the CK, or his desire to destroy the Pattern, and you remove the ability for the Dark One to finally win.

Now, I'm not saying life without Rand would be great, but I could see Egwene rushing an attempt on resealing the Dark One and tainting Saidar for the next 3000 years. But there are other scenarios, without Rand, where the Light "wins" in that it survives to fight another last battle, but so does the Dark by tainting Saidar.

GonzoTheGreat
01-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Then why suggest Rand leave Egwene and the nations she is gathering behind? Perhaps you should explain what Rand would need to bring with him so that it's not just the same thing as the first strike on SG.I don't know precisely what Rand should do to win, I admit.
But whatever it is, leaving Egwene behind would seem to be a very good first step. :D

subwoofer
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't know precisely what Rand should do to win, I admit.
But whatever it is, leaving Egwene behind would seem to be a very good first step. :D

Yeah, somehow I don't think it is going to be a numbers game. Like in TEotW, the Sheinaran's were vastly outnumbered but Rand's battle in the sky told a different story. Whatever Rand does is not going to be a brute force answer to Sealing the DO back up but more so understanding what the prophecies are telling him to do. Think Min is on the edge of this.

The Angry Druid
01-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Silly idea by the OP.

Rand wants everyone to accept his "terms" for going off to die and save them by beating the DO. He wants Peace, as we've seen through Avi's vision.

He can't get any of that if he leaves before talking to them.

As for Egwene, the OP also seems a bit off there. What she wants is for him to confront the DO w/out breaking the seals first. Pretty reasonable, although incorrect. As has been said in ToM numerous times.

GonzoTheGreat
01-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, why would the DO even bother to show up for the fight, if he's still bound by the Seals?

But Rand may change his approach to how to achieve peace when he meets Aviendha again, so it is not at all guaranteed that he will indeed go to Merrilor. I think that he will, but I could be wrong. In theory, at least.

The Immortal One
01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Rand wants everyone to accept his "terms" for going off to die and save them by beating the DO. He wants Peace, as we've seen through Avi's vision.

He can't get any of that if he leaves before talking to them.

He could always send someone with a message. Though, really, there aren't many people who are trusted by all the different factions.

Terez
01-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, why would the DO even bother to show up for the fight, if he's still bound by the Seals?

But Rand may change his approach to how to achieve peace when he meets Aviendha again, so it is not at all guaranteed that he will indeed go to Merrilor. I think that he will, but I could be wrong. In theory, at least.
He's already there, dork.

GonzoTheGreat
01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
He's already there, dork.There you go again, using facts and all.

Maybe I should be a bit careful about posting theories during my first reread. Then again, I'm sure that someone will be nice enough to point out potential trouble spots in a polite and friendly way.

alleluia_cone
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
He's already there, dork.

He can always leave though. I'm honestly starting to consider this possibility. I think Mierin and Moiraine are going to be the biggest factors in what happens next, with a nice helping of Tuon. If nothing else, if Rand leaves to go to Mierin or because something Moiraine told him or something else happens to screw up the meeting (i.e., the White Tower is attacked), this would prove really frustrating to readers and in a series infamous for causing that feeling in its fans it almost seems likely. It will go down as another instance of poor communication between allies, albeit, on a massive scale. Either way, as things stand now, there are a lot of wild cards on the table right now.

1) Caemyln is under attack.

2) The White Tower is about to be attacked.

3) Moiraine is going to show-up and probably impart a whole lot of consequential information.

4) Rand had this little dream just hours before the supposed meeting with Egwene that likely will prove to be quite distracting.

5) The Black Tower situation is pretty much ready for ignition.

Given all that, I'm wondering whether this meeting will even go down. I mean, the second somebody finds out that Caemlyn is under attack or about the Seanchan raid or if something happens in the Black Tower, won't that put the meeting off?

Terez
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm thinking Rand is going to die pretty early in the book. The news will be coming soon about the Black Tower - probably as soon as Rand wakes up. Perrin was planning on investigating the issue, and I'm wondering why Rand didn't (or maybe he did before he decided to chill in the Mountains of Mist). He should know how now, and he seems to have suspected exactly what was going on - his comment makes it clear that he didn't believe one of the Forsaken was behind Taim (or Taim himself) until he learned of the problem with the gateways.

Anyway, Logain's glory. It's implied that Rand will be dead or appear to be dead at least when that happens. Most of us have assumed that means he's going to deal with Taim, but there is always the possibility that Rand will do it and Logain's glory will come after that some time. It just seems unlikely.

That being said, I'm expecting Rand to hammer out the details with the monarchs before he dies, since that's what happened in the Aviendha vision, but that's not even necessarily true. The real future could well be very different from the one she saw. There are certain things we know will be the same - like, Min had a viewing about the odd babies - but not many.

Anyway, the Seanchan are planning to attack the Tower. I think Rand being so public about his plan was meant to lure the Seanchan to Merrilor instead.

Zombie Sammael
01-15-2011, 09:40 AM
How would one be worse than the other? If Shai'tan broke free, Dark Rand would be destroyed along with the rest of the Darkfriends and everything else. Or are you just referring to the breaking of the seals as "breaking free"?

Why is it assumed that if the DO breaks free he'd just destroy everything? What he's done so far with limited freedom is to corrupt things, not destroy them. Maybe his goal is to corrupt the pattern totally and bend the Wheel to his will rather than total annihilation.

Weird Harold
01-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Why is it assumed that if the DO breaks free he'd just destroy everything? What he's done so far with limited freedom is to corrupt things, not destroy them. Maybe his goal is to corrupt the pattern totally and bend the Wheel to his will rather than total annihilation.
If you were imprisoned, would you be content to take over the prison or would you destroy as much as necessary to escape completely?

The Wheel and Pattern are the DO's Prison -- or at least are the camoflage covering over his prison -- and If what he can accomplish just through the Bore isn't enough to break open his prison but is enough to cause near universal breakdown of the Pattern, how much more damage is it going to take to get out?

Basically, the DO has no reason to "remake the Wheel in his own image" and every reason to destroy enough that the remainder will collapse when he departs to wherever Evil Gods go after the jailbreak.

subwoofer
01-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Ahhh yes- the DO does a jailbreak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6Cgb8nHwk&feature=related). I dunno if he's gonna hit the local Hooters (http://www.hooters.com/home.aspx) or not tho'. Maybe after he breaks the Wheel he remakes the world like Mephisto and there is hell on Randland. Makes folks look back on Winter's Heart with fond memories.:)

Weird Harold
01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Ahhh yes- the DO does a jailbreak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6Cgb8nHwk&feature=related). I dunno if he's gonna hit the local Hooters (http://www.hooters.com/home.aspx) or not tho'. Maybe after he breaks the Wheel he remakes the world like Mephisto and there is hell on Randland. Makes folks look back on Winter's Heart with fond memories.:)
On second thought, since the DO isn't human or anything close to or compatible with humans, it would be more like escaping from a zoo. The only possible interest an escaping rogue elephant would have in Hooters is if the building was blocking his route back to open wilderness.

Zombie Sammael
01-15-2011, 11:06 AM
If you were imprisoned, would you be content to take over the prison or would you destroy as much as necessary to escape completely?

The Wheel and Pattern are the DO's Prison -- or at least are the camoflage covering over his prison -- and If what he can accomplish just through the Bore isn't enough to break open his prison but is enough to cause near universal breakdown of the Pattern, how much more damage is it going to take to get out?

Basically, the DO has no reason to "remake the Wheel in his own image" and every reason to destroy enough that the remainder will collapse when he departs to wherever Evil Gods go after the jailbreak.

Even if that's correct, it certainly doesn't seem to be what the people of Randland believe. The Forsaken and the Darkfriends certainly think he's going to remake, not destroy. The Lightsiders might think he'll just destroy the world and there's certainly a counter-argument that he wouldn't tell his servants he's going to destroy them completely, but I'm still not 100% complete. A DO who wants to enslave everyone and create a world, literally, of darkness seems like a more frightening villain to me than a simple destroyer. In one scenario he's Hitler, and in the other he's Galactus.

ScoundrelTheToy
01-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Anyway, Logain's glory. It's implied that Rand will be dead or appear to be dead at least when that happens. Most of us have assumed that means he's going to deal with Taim, but there is always the possibility that Rand will do it and Logain's glory will come after that some time. It just seems unlikely.

I don't think Logain's glory is going to come through some super battle scene at the Black Tower where he whoops ass. Him being named the first Male Aes Sedai of the Third Age on the other hand, would bring glory to his name throughout the next age for all males. That's where Logain's glory lies I feel.

We've already been given the groundwork of a Logain/Egwene relationship. The best thing Logain can do now is to take those Ash'aman that aren't Taim's men and unite his men with Egwene's Aes Sedai. Somewhere in there they will start wearing the title Aes Sedai. Although I will barf if they swear on the binder (does it work on men?).

Anyways, Logain will either go to Rand or Egwene, unite with Aes Sedai, become one and lead a force of men and woman Aes Sedai on an attack on the Black Tower where it shall be 'rent in fire and blood'.

FOM ---> Moiraine arrival --> profit --> everything starts blowing up. Seanchan arrival, news from BT, Logain showing up possibly. Mat/Tuon/Egwene at White Tower --> news in Caemlyn and every other city being invaded (Demandrad the player!) arrives. Tuon/Egwene alliance thanks to Matrim and the Horn he was originally at the White Tower for! Tuon/Matrim get to work on defending Randland, possibly Traveling to Caemlyn with Elayne etc. It should be a fun ride regardless.

Rand dying in that prophecy does seem most likely though. Only his death could cause men to lose faith it seems. So I think you're right there. No idea why he's referred to as a Broken Wolf though.

GonzoTheGreat
01-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Even if that's correct, it certainly doesn't seem to be what the people of Randland believe. The Forsaken and the Darkfriends certainly think he's going to remake, not destroy. The Lightsiders might think he'll just destroy the world and there's certainly a counter-argument that he wouldn't tell his servants he's going to destroy them completely, but I'm still not 100% complete. A DO who wants to enslave everyone and create a world, literally, of darkness seems like a more frightening villain to me than a simple destroyer. In one scenario he's Hitler, and in the other he's Galactus.Ishamael does seem convinced that the DO is planning to destroy existence. Perhaps he's wrong, but as he is the one that is by far the best placed to know, I would trust him in this. Somewhat, at least.

Weird Harold
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Even if that's correct, it certainly doesn't seem to be what the people of Randland believe. The Forsaken and the Darkfriends certainly think he's going to remake, not destroy.

Ishamael/Moridin probably understands that if the DO is completely free, it means the end of everything -- he agrees that is a desireable end, or at least inevitable and not worth opposing.

Some of the other Forsaken might realize that When the "Father of Lies" promises they will "live to the end of time" it doesn't mean living forever. Lanfear, Greandal and Moghedien all seem to understand the best outcome for them is a partial victory -- they get to rule for an Age or Two and the DO doesn't get to destroy everything.

Still whatever the denizens of the WOT believe the DO will do, on some level, most of them realize that the world as they know it will disappear forever.

Just as Rand's need to clear away the rubble by breaking the last Seals is misunderstood by Egwene and others, the DO will have to clear away the rubble of his prison to rebuild something in the metaphysical space once occupied by the Wheel Of Time.

subwoofer
01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
On second thought, since the DO isn't human or anything close to or compatible with humans, it would be more like escaping from a zoo. The only possible interest an escaping rogue elephant would have in Hooters is if the building was blocking his route back to open wilderness.

... Don't forget the beer battered chicken wings:D