PDA

View Full Version : Is there too much left to do?

Envelope
01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Since aMoL will be the final installment in the WoT series it seems that Sanderson has left a massive amount of plots to be tied up. Granted, a hell of a lot has happened in the last 3 books but unless the final book is in excess of 1500 pages I can't see how he'll cover everything (to my satisfaction at least :D)

We've got:

- A major battle in Caemlyn near the portal stones.

- After this, Mat will have to mobilise the Red Band and march towards the blight.

- A potential battle in Tar Valon with the Seanchan.

- A truce of some description has to be made with the Seanchan.

- The truth about damane will have to be revealed.

- Perrin has to deal with Slayer.. even though they've already spent a significant chunk of ToM duking it out.

- Mat has to smooth things over with Tuon and gain acceptance from the Seanchan.

- Taim has to be dealt with. There's also an inevitable battle in the Black Tower.

- Logain's curious absence has to be explained.

- Demandred has to reveal himself and show us what cunning plans he's put into place or already orchestrated.

- The Tinkers have to do... whatever it is tinkers do.. :confused:

- The Ogier will have to be reintroduced & play some part.

- Rand and Aviendha have to git it awn before the last battle.

- Rand and Min have to figure out how to seal the bore.

- Rand and the White Tower will have to reach agreement.

- Lanfear will no doubt have a part to play and therefore be another subplot.

- Fain will once again have a more prominent role, not sure how this wildcard will play out but it will need several chapters dedicated to develop this plot.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head but all this is before we even begin T'G properly. It seems that this is more than has happened in the last three books combined, books in which a lot occurred. I really hope the series doesn't end with Rand winning / dying and that there's a decent aftermath & closeure by the end.

Enigma
01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
There are a lot of things left to happen but all the set up has been done. In the last few books the prologues have given us a fast forward version of events going on in secondary plot lines.

Think of it this way. We know that the borderlands have been invaded and the attack in the last prologue was just a hint but it gives the reader the idea of what is happening all over the borderlands. That did not even take a full chapter.

Rand gathering everyone together at the one time may also help for multiple things to happen at the same time.

I could be wrong here but I dont think the last book is going to be a bit like 'The World at War' for the Second World War. There will be fighting but one can get the idea of armies in a fight for their lives without having to have chapter after chapter describing it.

It should be one hell of a ride however and I for one can't wait, though I will probably be terribly depressed when I finally finishe the last paragraph of the Wheel of Time forever

Juan
01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah you're missing some stuff but whatever, we're not trying to recreate an outline here. Or at least I'm not haha... But yeah a lot went on in the last 2 books... the pace in TGS for me was fast and yet enough detail. TOM was great except for the ToG scene in Moraine's rescue which to me felt a bit rushed. As you pointed out it seems like there's a lot more that has to happen in AMOL than in the two previous books combined... Honestly I'm very worried that the book will not be enough to cover everything well... I know they're not going to split it into two books. But unless everything's rushed, BS will need to write a large book. And supposedly he plans on it being smaller than TGS. I'm pretty sure I saw an interview on youtube where he said TGS was going to be the largest of the last three books... So yeah I'm really worried.

@Enigma
I will probably be terribly depressed when I finally finishe the last paragraph of the Wheel of Time forever

I will be too. I know it. That's why I really want the Outrigger novels. After all, there are notes for them and all that. After the Outriggers, I'll be satisfied.

thorneater
01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
reread the piece out of the prophesies of the dragon.
"the broken wolf,the one who dead has known, shall fall and be consumed by the towers of midnight."

that's slayer and moridin there(asuming slayer is the equivalent of what a goldeneyes is to wolves, to darkhounds...(darkhounds= broken wolfs)

jana
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
no

thorneater
01-11-2011, 02:30 AM
yea sor, forgot about isam/luc...

anyhow, Death is still in there(Moridin) and as far as we know Perrin hasn't met him...

So yea maybe it's Ituralde

Terez
01-11-2011, 02:39 AM
No one will care if Ituralde dies, though. Not like that. Broken Wolf = Rand.

The Immortal One
01-11-2011, 04:11 AM
- A major battle in Caemlyn near the portal stones.

- After this, Mat will have to mobilise the Red Band and march towards the blight.

Waygate, not Portal Stone (unless, is there a Portal Stone near Caemlyn?). And these two will likely play into one plot. The battle, with the Band and all the other mercenary companies from around Caemlyn will be gathered, and dealt with by Talmanes

Mat simply takes charge, and leads them through a gateway to wherever he needs them to be. Or perhaps he arrives in time to swing the battle back in favour of the Light.

A few chapters.

- A potential battle in Tar Valon with the Seanchan.

- A truce of some description has to be made with the Seanchan.

- Rand and the White Tower will have to reach agreement.

- Mat has to smooth things over with Tuon and gain acceptance from the Seanchan.

These four could come together to be another few chapters.

- Perrin has to deal with Slayer.. even though they've already spent a significant chunk of ToM duking it out.

- Taim has to be dealt with. There's also an inevitable battle in the Black Tower.

- Logain's curious absence has to be explained.

Due to the Dreamspike these three could come together to be a few chapters, perhaps including:

- Demandred has to reveal himself and show us what cunning plans he's put into place or already orchestrated.

- The Ogier will have to be reintroduced & play some part.

- Rand and Aviendha have to git it awn before the last battle.

These three could be just a few words, barely even a chapter each.

Like an Aes Sedai saying in a report to Egwene "The Ogier seem to have come out of seclusion - we have reports that they were seen..." perhaps this could even be joined into Lan's plot, saving him.

As for the other two, perhaps Rand and Min will figure out how to seal the Bore from Rand's PoV where he is reminiscing about last night. :D

- Lanfear will no doubt have a part to play and therefore be another subplot.

- Fain will once again have a more prominent role, not sure how this wildcard will play out but it will need several chapters dedicated to develop this plot.

These two are likely to be a few chapters each.

- The truth about damane will have to be revealed.

- The Tinkers have to do... whatever it is tinkers do.. :confused:

I don't know, but we don't really need much information on these either.

The first could be involved in the Battle at the White Tower section, but other than to get rid of the slavery and damane problem it's unnecessary. Just because their culture is reprehensible for it doesn't mean it has to change. Perhaps this was meant to be a major part of the planned outrigger novel starring Mat and Tuon.

The tinkers? My guess is as good as yours. If they do play a part it's likely to be as a part of another plot than them making their own plot.

So what is that? How many is 'a few'? Three?

3... 6... 9... 10... 13... 16...

All this might be in as little as 20 chapters. How many chapters in ToM and TGS? 60? 80?

There should be more than enough time to get to all the plots - more than two or three times what I allocated above - with extra room for surprises and 10 ro 20 more chapters for the Big Finish.

Zombie Sammael
01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
When you look at all the things that "need" to happen in a disconnected way like that, then it will seem there's too much left to happen. However, many of the things on your list may take less time than you think when you think about things causing and being related to other things. The Last Battle, for instance, could start near Caemlyn but then lead to a harrowing of the shadow deep into the Blight. I also disagree that Fain will require anything more than suddenly and unexpectedly (to Rand etc) appearing at some vital moment, so when you imagine that what you've laid out in that list is pretty much the entire plot of the book, that's really not all that much. I feel that many questions regarding the Seanchan and how they will relate to Randland proper may be left unanswered, though something will have to be resolved with regards to the fate of the Aiel.

alleluia_cone
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
If ToM proved anything, it showed that the Jordan was very willing to gloss over plot developments that were seemingly more important than their unsatisfactory conclusions proved them to be. It wouldn't surprise me if the Seanchan reconciliation is hashed out in one chapter as opposed to the Caemlyn reconciliation which was hashed out in 78 chapters (slight over-exaggeration). So to answer the question posed in this thread, if time is an issue, short cuts will be taken.

sheikh chilli
01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
last battle in 3 chapters confirmed

Juan
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I think many of you are forgetting the original post. Which is also the more important, yet harder to answer and more opinionated question.

Many of you are saying that everything can/will be covered in the last book. Yeah I would assume so, Brandon kinda has no choice.

The better question is: Will it be covered well?

Sure, short cuts can be taken as alleluia said. But how will that affect the book? For the better or worse? Personally, I'm sure the book will finish and cover everything. I'm just curious to see if it will cover it well and in enough detail. I'm not asking for the unnecessary details like in RJ's later books (excluding KOD). This needs to be a fast moving book in my opinion. I'm asking for TGS type of pace. I've only read TOM once so far, but the rescue scene sticks out because it felt so damn rushed and as if not enough detail/attention was given to it.

Remember we need to find out many things, plot lines, etc. and then find out how everyone ends up.

Sure you can say.

Logain attacks the Black Towers and defeats everyone and becomes the new M'Hael.

Rand dies but revives again.

Elayne's babies are born.

Fain dies attempting to attack Mat.

Moiraine helps Rand by doing ___.

You get the point. So... that wasn't very satisfactory, was it? I doubt most of us will want the book to go like that. Obviously, that was a bit exaggerated, but the point stands that I for one am worried that not enough detail will go into the story and plots of AMOL.. That's the better question to address I think. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Envelope
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Yep Juan that was my point when posting this question in the first place.
Obviously i'm not worried that Sanderson will leave out anything, just concerned that since there's so much left to cover that it might not be paced well as you say or perhaps that there won't be sufficient tying up and concluding at the end.
On this last point, I'm not asking for a Scouring of the Shire like Tolkien did just that we know how characters will continue or how the Tarmon Gai'don will affect the nations thereafter.

While i really loved ToM I thought that perhaps Sanderson could've covered some stuff that will be covered in AMoL. I mean, Perrin and Galad's respective armies run into each other at the beginning of the book.. then you've got the back and forth over several chapters... then you've got the Morgase revelation... then you've got the proposed trial... then you've got a delayed trial because of the bubble of evil and weapons attacking their owners (what was the point of that anyway?).. then you've got the trial... then the battle with trollocs. You've also got PErrin mastering the wolf, T'Riod and fighting Slayer several times in between all of this. Not much covered in terms of content I would say, but it took up near half the book.

In conclusion: I hate Perrin

subwoofer
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Seal the DO up... the rest is window dressing for another Age. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Maybe there will be a "and they lived happily ever after" or some drek. Meh. I just want this to end on a high note, epic battle scenes and if a few things are left out there, well, Brandon can wrap that up while our heroes ride back to the Shire.

Res_Ipsa
01-14-2011, 10:39 PM
No way there is 'too much' to do as in there can never be too many books to my way of thinking. If this means much of this is answered in the encyclopedia or outriggers, whatever. Reading Mistborn I am confident BS can handle the large time gaps that AMoL may require without us losing out.