PDA

View Full Version : SLC Sam Wellerís Signing

Tamyrlin
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
SLC Sam Weller’s Signing
1/12/11

The evening started off with me getting my Death Gate Cycle books signed by Tracy Hickman, a very cool moment. I asked him to write something Zifnab thought about Haplo and Alfred that we the readers were never privy to. For Haplo he signed, “I believe we have met before” and for Alfred, “Have you ever been to Paris?” If you haven’t read the Death Gate Cycle, these are completely meaningless. If you have read the Death Gate Cycle…these are almost completely meaningless.

Anyway, shortly thereafter Brandon arrived and immediately asked if I had questions. He has seen my tweet about asking for questions earlier in the day. I replied that I had not received more than one or two, surprisingly, so I went to look them up. In the process of looking up questions I asked the following:

Matt: I know you won’t answer me definitively on the Lanfear/Verin questions I have until after AMoL. So how about this, did Lanfear know of Verin?

Brandon: Yes, Lanfear knew of Verin.

(One step closer...)

After this first question I got myself out of the way as fans were arriving to have their books signed. I went back behind the signing desk to listen to what was going on as I asked for more questions over Twitter. Ten or fifteen minutes later Brandon took a break and answered the following three questions:

Southpaw2014: Can we figure out who Demandred is disguised as based on evidence?

Brandon: There are clues.

Mnm_010: Will we have any Logain scenes/POV?

Brandon: RAFO

Darth_Andrea: Does Bale Domon still have his treasures that he had hidden on his ship "The Spray"?

Brandon: MAFO.

PrncRny: How far past Shayol Ghul and the Last Battle will we see written in AMoL?

Brandon: RAFO.

There were some short chats here and there between signings, but I didn’t record anything. Some dealt briefly with the question of the changes Rand seems to have gone through as witnessed in TofM. Then, I noticed a few questions submitted on Twitter and asked those:
WoTLuckers: Was LTT one with the land like Rand is?

Brandon: “The Dragon is one with the land...so the answer is yes.”

He went on to say that it says the Dragon, not the Dragon Reborn, making the point that it most definitely applied to LTT.

Matt: (I riffed off a second related question from WotLuckers which was: Did he have the same extra abilities?) Instead I asked: Considering what you mentioned regarding LTT’s ability to sense the lack of inhabitants within miles of the spot he was at in the Prologue, is this ability something that comes from being the Dragon, being Ta’veren, or a Talent?

Brandon: (paraphrased) It’s not a Talent, but I won’t say whether it is a factor of being the Dragon or something about being Ta’veren.

(Luckers, I asked this question because the way Brandon answered the first it seemed apparent to me that the Dragon is LTT is Rand, as far as “one with the land” and abilities. My interest then became that specific ability he noted in LTT during the re-read.)

WoTLuckers: Seanchan woman go through annual testing till 24, Fortuona is 21/22. Is she still tested?

Brandon: "As Empress I don't know. I get the impression she could do as she pleased."

Brandon and I got into a conversation about Chapter 9 of TEoTW. We started discussing what happens there and the GOI (Gap of Infinity) as a function of finding dreams, which brought up the next two questions:

Matt: Can someone that enters T’A’R physically, use the GOI? More specifically, if Egwene entered T’A’R in her physical body, could she access the GOI?

Matt: Is Lanfear a Dreamer?

Brandon: "I lend a lot of credence to the theory that at least one of the Forsaken is or was a Dreamer."

I did my best to just get him to tell us straight up that one IS, actually that more than one is a Dreamer. But he persisted in using the above language.

And that was all folks.

Terez
01-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Good work, boss. Wrong forum though. :p

Juan
01-13-2011, 12:09 AM
What's MAFO?

Tamyrlin
01-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Typically, Brandon answers a question this way when he isn't set against answering it, but wants to do some research or have it researched before he answers it. Often, he will ask Maria or for Maria to look it up, so instead of saying RAFO, he made up MAFO.

Terez
01-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Maria And Find Out

Cor Shan
01-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I feel like a newb for forgetting what MAFO means.

Terez
01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Just because you joined forever ago doesn't mean you're not a noob. ;)

Cor Shan
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
hahhaha true. I'm pretty sure I didn't visit here for ~4 years...

Terez
01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, you disappeared some time when I was a noob, which was at least 5 years ago.

Juan
01-13-2011, 01:23 AM
oooh. Theoryland Reunion Class of 06? haha

Terez
01-13-2011, 01:25 AM
lol, most of us have join dates from 12/05 or 1/06 because that's when we first moved here from Yuku. I joined in 10/04 on the main page, and 6/05 on the message boards.

Juan
01-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Don't worry. TL class of 10 is going to kick 06's butt... or whatever year you consider yourself in. :P

And I figured that Yuku was responsible for that change and all that. Now go to bed Terez. Bed time for you... haha

FelixPax
01-14-2011, 01:26 AM
SLC Sam Weller’s Signing
1/12/11

Darth_Andrea: Does Bale Domon still have his treasures that he had hidden on his ship "The Spray"?

I had thought this might have been answer within TofM book, back in November. Sigh.

Lord Turak gained possession of the Dark One Seal, from Bayle Domon ship via Egeanin and a Sul'dam-Damane.

I've assumed the mysterious Seeker of Lord Turak's (Mor?) had gained possession of that damning Darkfriend letter hidden in Domon's ship.

PrncRny: How far past Shayol Ghul and the Last Battle will we see written in AMoL?

Brandon: RAFO.

Wonder if RJ went all Mark Twain on us? Or perhaps some variation of Gaul, Artur in a dream scene at the conclusion of, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Connecticut_Yankee_in_King_Arthur's_Court)".

WoTLuckers: Seanchan woman go through annual testing till 24, Fortuona is 21/22. Is she still tested?

Brandon: "As Empress I don't know. I get the impression she could do as she pleased."

Curious how Brandon ponders his way around the whole complex situation of the Seekers role in doling out justice, within the Seanchan system.

Let alone the other High Blood individuals possibility seeking the top job, under the influence of information, plots gained from other Seekers, Listeners etc.

Who's to judge an Empress, if she's truly a damane instead? Who has enough power to question an Empress? A coup d etat supported High Bloods, Seekers, with a large section of the military. Why them? As they can replace an Empress, Deathwatch Guard, and create the legal grounds for their own cause via the Seekers' justice.

Thing is General Galgan is more a kin to Strom Thurmond, while Fortuona is more a kin to Harry S Truman. Galgan is no dummy.