PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors and Allusion - The Golden Crane

ScoundrelTheToy
01-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Mirrors and Allusion - The Golden Crane

Suddenly fires bloomed below, six eveloping dead Trollocs in front of Malevin and Aisling, seven in front of Sandomere and Ayako, and she squinted against the blinding glare. It was like trying to look at thirteen noonday suns blazing in a cloudless sky. They were linked. She could tell from the way the flows of saidar moved, stiffly, as though they were being forced into place rather than guided. Or rather, the men were trying to force them. That never worked with the female half ot the Power. It was pure Fire, and the blazes were ferocious, fiercer than she would have expected from Fire alone. But of course they would be using saidin as well, and who could say what they were adding from that murderous chaos? The little she could recall of being linked with Rand left her with no desire ever again to go near that.

In just a few minutes the fires vanished, leaving only low heaps of grayish ash lying on seared earth that looked hard and cracked. That could not do the soil much good.

"You can't find this very entertaining, Lan. What are you thinking?"

"Idle thoughts," he said, his arm hard as stone beneath her hand. New fires flared outside.

"Share them with me." She managed to put a hint of question in that. He seemed amused by the nature of their vows, yet he absolutely refused to floow the smallest instruction when they were alone. Request, he granted instantly - well, most of the time - but the man would quietly leave his boots muddy till the mud flaked off if she told him not to track in mud.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An allusion is a figure of speech that makes a reference to, or representation of, a place, event, literary work, myth, or work of art, either directly or by implication. M. bxtches allusion as "a brief reference, explicit or indirect, to a person, place or event, or to another literary work or passage".[1] It is left to the reader or hearer to make the connection (Fowler); where the connection is detailed in depth by the author, it is preferable to call it "a reference".

In a freer informal definition, allusion is a passing or casual reference, an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication.

This is only an exermpt of the full piece - grab your book and listen to the story again. It goes on further than what I've outlined and could start earlier as well. That isn't my purpose to interpert, but to illustrate and point out allusion at it's finest. Let it be seen. A Nynaeve (Harriet) and Land (Robert Jordan) scene. More than one scene, yet not.

I would most certainly be interested in other scenes that are allusion that you find in re-reads - KoD is your best bet. Maybe it's just me that was clouded and didn't see that the story quoted mirrors "And it shall be rent in fire and blood, and sisters shall walk it's grounds". Circles, linked of seven male alongside six females assaulting the Black Tower and more. Have others noticed additional scenes that they can't recall being put on show? Or were put on show and I missed? I would most certainly be interested in others finding more of this and sharing it.

You are an amazing author Robert Jordan and the depth only grows with each telling.

subwoofer
01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Not much to say other than the Golden Crane in KoD is my favoritest chapter. I get chills and start bawling every time I read it.

The Immortal One
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Circles, linked of seven male alongside six females assaulting the Black Tower

Where did you get that from?