PDA

View Full Version : Are Faolain and Theodrin Black?

kasper11
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I am reading TDR again, and something struck me...

When Verin and the wondergirls get to Tar Valon, Verin speaks to a guard and then Sheriam meets them. So, you have Verin, Black Ajah, being greeted by Sheriam, another Black Ajah. Was this coincidence, or intentional?

Sheriam brings with her three Accepted, only two of which are named....Faolain and Theodrin. From then on, Faolain and Theodrin are pretty much linked. They both go to Salidar together, and they both go to the Black Tower. They both swear fealty to Egwene.

When Egwene first meets Faolain, she immediately thinks "Red". So why did Faolain end up in Salidar? Did she follow her friend? Or, did she and Theodrin both follow Sheriam? Why did these two swear fealty to Egwene, coincidentally right after the Dark loses its spy in Halima?

Granted, there isn't a whole lot of evidence, but there is an awful lot of coincidence.

Terez
01-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Min had a viewing of Faolain that suggests she will have a pleasant future, which goes along with Faolain's comments about something she is working on that is on a level with the supergirls' discoveries.

Kimon
01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I am reading TDR again, and something struck me...

When Verin and the wondergirls get to Tar Valon, Verin speaks to a guard and then Sheriam meets them. So, you have Verin, Black Ajah, being greeted by Sheriam, another Black Ajah. Was this coincidence, or intentional?

Sheriam brings with her three Accepted, only two of which are named....Faolain and Theodrin. From then on, Faolain and Theodrin are pretty much linked. They both go to Salidar together, and they both go to the Black Tower. They both swear fealty to Egwene.

When Egwene first meets Faolain, she immediately thinks "Red". So why did Faolain end up in Salidar? Did she follow her friend? Or, did she and Theodrin both follow Sheriam? Why did these two swear fealty to Egwene, coincidentally right after the Dark loses its spy in Halima?

Granted, there isn't a whole lot of evidence, but there is an awful lot of coincidence.

Keep in mind that Sheriam was Mistress of the Novices, so her presence in the Tar Valon scene shouldn't be construed as out of the ordinary, considering that Egwene and the others were technically runaways. The other problem is that the Black Ajah seems to have typically recruited new members from amongst full sisters, not by recruiting Accepted. There are exceptions, or at least one, Liandrin, but if one or both are Black, then it seems more likely that they would have been recruited after their raising in Salidar. The fact that Verin doesn't mention them, presumably theirs would have been names that should have drawn Egwene's attention, would seem to corroborate that. So, nothing really to firmly indicate that either are Black, at least besides Faolain's acerbic personality, and clearly that cannot be taken as conclusive, nor even necessarily indicative evidence. They are both part of the delegation to the Black Tower, but it would seem that their delegation (Salidar's), based on what we have seen of Myrelle, is outside the gates, and there is nothing yet to indicate that Taim has started converting them, as he did with Tarna.

The Immortal One
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
So why did Faolain end up in Salidar? Did she follow her friend? Or, did she and Theodrin both follow Sheriam?

They were both Accepted. I don't think they had much say in whether they wanted to go to Salidar or not.

I got the impression that the Aes Sedai who left snatched up as many novices and Accepted as they could on their way out.

Terez
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
They were both Accepted. I don't think they had much say in whether they wanted to go to Salidar or not.

I got the impression that the Aes Sedai who left snatched up as many novices and Accepted as they could on their way out.
Faolain sort of implies that she came of her own choice, but there's some rather amazing illogic involved.

Juan
01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
I always sort of figured whenever an AS saw a novice or accepted, they kinda took them along. Whether it was for the WT or the rebels. The few that weren't really caught/seen were the ones who made a choice it seems like to me.

Side note. When I saw this thread it just randomly made me think of Bodewhin Cauthon. You know, Mat's sister? Whatever happened to her? I mean she was mentioned last if I recall correctly in KOD.. and was with the rebels. Now I'm sure she's back in the Tower.. But wasn't she super strong and had a lot of potential in the OP? Why haven't we heard of her that much? She's the sister to one of the coolest characters in the book and has a lot of promise. I kinda wished to see her do a bit more.

Terez
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Egwene has distanced herself from the Two Rivers girls in order to avoid her position being undermined by an acquaintance with her girlhood friends. It's an interesting parallel to Rand's distancing himself from the Two Rivers men that Taim recruited. Rand's reason was a bit more altruistic, but the consequences have proven to be far more dangerous.

Anyway, we haven't heard from Bode since Egwene decided it was foolish to risk a novice for a job Egwene could do better. Which of course led to Egwene being captured by Elaida rather than Bode.

Juan
01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
hahaha right.. silly Egwene. Also, Perrin himself isn't that close to his own Two Rivers men.

But I would've thought Bodewhin would even if not get a POV chapter from her, at least be more in the scenes even if as a kind of background figure. I really want everyone from the Two Rivers to see how Mat, Rand, and Perrin have come along. And Nynaeve with her millions of successes and her ASness. And I suppose Egwene too even though she's.. eh. I also want to see Bodewhin talk with Rand again.. and with Mat.

Terez
01-21-2011, 12:17 AM
hahaha right.. silly Egwene. Also, Perrin himself isn't that close to his own Two Rivers men.
He was closer to them than Faile liked, one example being Gwil and Hal (who were training to be Perrin's serving men).

The Immortal One
01-22-2011, 04:50 AM
I don't know though. He was trying to be friends with everone - including servants - back in the Two Rivers, but since they've left the only real interaction Perrin's had with anyone other than the top people (his lieutenants?) has been when he does an inspection.

Yes, they seem to love him - when they're not gossiping about that night he spent in Berelain's tent - but he doesn't seem to actually interact with many.

Enigma
01-22-2011, 12:10 PM
There was some mention of Perrin trying to mend things when they were waiting to attack the Shaido, mainly to try and keep busy but that he could see that it was upsetting the craftsmen as they thought he did not trust their work so he had to stop.

He was checking wagons at one stage but as the army around him has grown it stands to reason that he has less time on his hands to mingle with the Two Rivers men and he cannot affort to be seen to favouring them as it would alienate the newer recruits.

Juan
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah... Although granted Perrin is closer to the Two Rivers people than Mat, Rand, Nynaeve, Egwene. But still I wouldn't quite consider that close. At least not anymore.. He doesn't seem to really have time to mingle with them. Then again, I suppose he could be doing it offscreen.. although that would be pretty lame haha.

Squocka
01-25-2011, 12:14 AM
They cant be Black as you only become BA about 5 years after being raised but they could be targets for possible blacks that they keep and eye out for or possibld darkfriends before entering the tower but i think that Verin would have picked up on them in the Black circles chatter if they were.