PDA

View Full Version : The Black Company series by Glen Cook

Davian93
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Has anyone read this? Opinions on it?

I just bought it but haven't really started it yet so please try to avoid spoilers.

Basel Gill
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
All I can say is this. I found it really hard to stay interested in. I finished book one and stopped and haven't picked it back up. Another friend (who recommended it to me) has really good/diverse taste in books and loved it. He thinks I am a moron because I didn't dig it. So...you might like it and you might not. ;)
Helpful? :D

Sei'taer
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I had the same problem. I read the first book and just wasn't interested in going any farther (not even sure if there is an "any farther").

Just bought book one of The Codex Alera. I'll see how that goes.

Basel Gill
01-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Codex Alera is really cool, but you must give it past book 1. It gets much broader in scope.

Weird Harold
01-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Has anyone read this? Opinions on it?

I just bought it but haven't really started it yet so please try to avoid spoilers.
I've read a couple of Black Company novels and encountered a few short stories in various anthologies. I found the characters likeable but never got a grasp on the overall series. For me they're just OK reads and not particularly memorable.

I class them as "low priority for a limited budget." IOW, I don't dislike them, but don't like them enough to spend money on them.