PDA

View Full Version : My own crazy theory (in honor of Felix)

Juan
01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
So I've been thinking, Felix puts out all these pretty insane theories, so I figured I'd take a stab at a pretty crazy one. Why should he get all the fun? I'm not sure if they'll be of the caliber Felix's are... but I'm just messing around obviously.. haha

Tam al'Thor. So he's the one who taught Rand the void and the Oneness. As is well known, this is what led to Rand being able to channel effectively and all that, so I'm here to propose that Tam can learn to channel. Being an experienced user of the void, he's been training how to channel for years, it's just a matter of actually showing him how to reach for the Source.

So Tam is repeatedly referred to as wise, even by people who normally consider men fools, like Nynaeve. Tam is a born leader (which is why I find it odd that he is under Perrin who is not one.. but that's another discussion).

Now we go to the title for the head of the Aes Sedai. The female, Amyrlin, the male, Tamyrlin. Well Tam's full name is Tamlin. (See where I'm going with this)? And he's a male. And he's born to lead. And he's wise. And he can channel.

The abbreviation for Tamyrlin and Tamlin are both Tam. And so Tam will become Tam. <-- see what I did? With the taint removed, Aes Sedai could theoretically now work together (male and female, although they may want the distinction of AS and Ashaman). But in any case Tam will become the head of the male channeler's organization, whether it's called Ashaman, Aes Sedai, or Superducks. And thus he will be Tamyrlin.

Tam Lin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tam (or Tamas) Lin (also called Tamlane, Tamlin, Tomlin, Tam Lien, Tam-a-Line, or Tam Lane) is the hero of a legendary ballad originating from the Scottish Borders. The story revolves around the rescue of Tam Lin by his true love from the Queen of the Fairies. While this ballad is specific to Scotland, the motif of capturing a person by holding him through all forms of transformation is found throughout Europe in folktales.[1]
The story has been adapted into various stories, songs and films.

Aes Sedai clearly consider themselves special, much like fairies do. So Tamlin al'Thor will become Tamyrlin, and marry a renegade female Aes Sedai, which will tie the Ashaman with the Aes Sedai.

Also, Valan Luca will raise an army and form his own country where Murandy used to be. His country will try and develop nuclear arms.

From 13thD
Menagerie. Valan is a town in Iran. Luca is a personal name and a surname.

So clearly, we can see RJ gave us explicit foreshadowing about Valan Luca's future nation and their invasion of the rest of the nations. Under Valan Luca, the nations shall maintain the Dragon's Peace and drive the Seanchan out with nuclear weapons.

GonzoTheGreat
01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Tamyrlin as founder of the Superducks. I like it. How do you propose turning Egwene into a subduck, though?

cindy
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
since you're bringing up crazy theories in a noob friendly condensed format, i'd like to add one.

baalzeman (sp? sorry) means, in hebrew, master/lord of time. i don't know if RJ spoke hebrew, but he uses it a lot in names.

so, to sum up, the dark one is a time lord. i would have to assume he's The Master, because I don't see The Doctor that dark.

The end.

GonzoTheGreat
01-23-2011, 05:00 AM
That one makes sense, as Rand does indeed have a tendency to wander around having adventures accompanied by a pretty Companion. The Dragon Sceptre would the sonic screwdriver, and Bela is the Tardis.

wireguy
01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
You should go for getting some quotes. The trick is that you don't really need to find anything remotely connected with your theory, only a sentence that has the words you need in the order in which they are needed. If the whole sentence doesn't meet your needs just hack out whichever part you need and reference it forward to another unrelated sentence. If you are honoring Felix you really need to just toss caution to the wind and use content to define context.

Juan
01-23-2011, 12:26 PM
@Gonzo
Well clearly, the Seanchan's price for their help in the LB is going to be the leashed queen of the marath'damane. Meaning Egwene. Therefore putting her out of the picture.

Or she may get deposed. But I'll stick with the first option.

@cindy
haha thanks for the add-on! And that's cool about the Hebrew stuff I didn't know that.

@wireguy
Lol you have no idea how long I have laughed reading that. Poor Felix. I hope he reads this post of mine. Last post I saw he put was actually rather reasonable, so he's slacking so I figured I'd help him out. Man I'm still cracking up.. I gotta go get me some quotes.

cindy
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
That one makes sense, as Rand does indeed have a tendency to wander around having adventures accompanied by a pretty Companion. The Dragon Sceptre would the sonic screwdriver, and Bela is the Tardis.

wow. . . you made it make more sense. of course rand is The Doctor.

i think the TARDIS may appear to be gateways and/or the ways (a working TARDIS can disguise itself as anything), but i hadn't really considered bela seriously before. egwene used her avatar as a TARDIS, so there could be something there.

thank you :)

cindy
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
@cindy
haha thanks for the add-on! And that's cool about the Hebrew stuff I didn't know that.

thanks for the opportunity - posting here is a bit intimidating. i enjoyed your tam theory, as well, but i'm not sure it's that crazy.

i'm never sure if RJ actually meant to be using hebrew, or if he's just using biblical sounding names, but baalzeman always made sense to me, even if he's not a Time Lord. the dark one essentially names himself master of [the wheel of] time.

or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Juan
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Ah I see. Well yours has a lot more merit than mine. haha.

And thanks cindy. And it shouldn't be. We're easy-going.... for the most part.. :P

Hope to see you around more often!

Fie
01-24-2011, 04:01 AM
You might be interested in following info for your theory, regarding quotes,proof,ridding words of context etc... ;)

"Tam Lin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tam (or Tamas) Lin (also called Tamlane, Tamlin, Tomlin, Tam Lien, Tam-a-Line, or Tam Lane) is the hero of a legendary ballad originating from the Scottish Borders. The story revolves around the rescue of Tam Lin by his true love from the Queen of the Fairies. While this ballad is specific to Scotland, the motif of capturing a person by holding him through all forms of transformation is found throughout Europe in folktales.[1]
The story has been adapted into various stories, songs and films.

Most variants begin with the warning that Tam Lin collects either a possession or the virginity of any maidens who pass through the forest of Carterhaugh. A young maiden, usually called Janet or Margaret, comes to Carterhaugh and plucks a double rose, whereupon Tam appears and asked why she is in Carterhaugh without his command and has taken what is his. She states that she owns Carterhaugh, because her father has given it to her.
In most variants, she then goes home and discovers that she is pregnant; some variants pick up the story at this point. When an old knight taxes her with it, she announces that she will not declare him her baby's father, that her lover is an elf and that she loves him. She returns to Carterhaugh. In some variants, her brother has told her that a herb growing there will induce an abortion. In all, she picks something, whether the herb or the same roses as when they first met. Tam reappears, enraged, and forbids her to abort.
She asks him whether he was ever human, either after that reappearance, or in some variants, immediately after their first meeting resulted in her seduction. He reveals that he was a mortal man, who, after falling from his horse, was rescued and captured by the Queen of the Fairies. Every seven years, the fairies pay a teind, a tithe to Hell, of one of their people, and Tam fears he will become that tithe on that night (Hallowe'en). He is to ride as part of a company of knights, and Janet will recognise him by the white horse upon which he is riding. He warns her that, when she catches him, the fairies will attempt to make her drop him by turning him into all manner of beasts (see Proteus), but that he will do her no harm, and when he is finally turned into a burning coal she is to throw him into a well, whereupon he will reappear as a naked man and she should hide him. Janet does as she is asked, and wins her knight. The Queen of the Fairies is not best pleased, but acknowledges her claim.
In different variations, Tam Lin is reportedly the grandson of The Laird of Roxburgh, the Laird of Foulis, the Earl of Forbes or the Earl of Murray. His name also varies between versions (Tam Lin being the most common) as Tom Line, Tomlin, Young Tambling, and Tam-a-line."

hm, maybe thereīs also some way of incorporating Thom Merrilin in your theory... :p

FelixPax
01-24-2011, 02:19 PM
i'm never sure if RJ actually meant to be using hebrew, or if he's just using biblical sounding names, but baalzeman always made sense to me, even if he's not a Time Lord. the dark one essentially names himself master of [the wheel of] time.

or maybe it's just a coincidence.

RJ has been know to claim that the Bible influenced him more than any other book, repeatedly in interviews. He attended religious services more than one a week also, according multiple sources.

Considering how many Bibles (http://picasaweb.google.com/jwdenzel/RobertJordanSFuneral#slideshow/5114594100849099330) were in RJ's carriage house office. RJ likely did use Biblical sources and languages.

Nice speculation route, Cindy. :D

fossiln
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Re: Rand = The Doctor

There is that episode in the new series where The Doctor descends into a pit (=the bore), confronts satan (=the dark one), breaks open satan's prison (=breaks the seals), and hurls satan into a black hole (=Rand wins?!);)

Juan
01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks Fie! I incorporated that into my original post.

Also I added another quote and improved my theory. Now it's even more ridiculous than before. I'm getting at bit better at this. :P Now go read my new improved original post/theory!

Fie
01-25-2011, 02:05 AM
Nice. Keep working on it, if it becomes long, illogic, unintelligible, complicated, out-of-context, random-quoted etc. enough you could even make it into a faction .and if you could somehow put a bunch of squirrels in, too, Iīm sure to join.:) And if it proves to be incorrect, you could say, yes, but if there had been a Tam prequel / yes, but if RJ himself had finished the lot / yes, but anyway, Tam should be/ yes, but regarding Asmodeanīs murder /...
Ah, I knew I read something related !Think it was on this board. In the beginning it seems as Tam was to be the main character instead of Rand, so Tam--->Tamyrlin quite obvious.

Juan
01-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Hahahaha. I think I'm getting pretty close right? I mean, Felix is probably crying himself to sleep now because of this new crazy competition.

And of course I gotta add the squirrels in there somehow. To make a faction you need to be a premium member though! And I don't have the money to do that... But if I did, I'd definitely turn this into a faction.

And of course. Tam=Tam. Perfect match.

Fie
01-25-2011, 02:34 AM
To make a faction you need to be a premium member though!

Oh, do you. ---> off to investigate.

I see, didnīt really notice the different membership forms when I joined, I guess I was focused on WoT info and the discussions...Seems like you have to be "Elder" as well to make a faction, so not anytime soon, well, the wheel weaves as the wheel wills...

WinespringBrother
01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
In the early drafts of WOT, Tam was the Dragon Reborn. That would explain the similarity between Tamlin and Tamyrlin.

GonzoTheGreat
01-25-2011, 11:57 AM
In the early drafts of WOT, Tam was the Dragon Reborn.Would've saved us from having Egwene around, I guess. Which might not have been all that bad, come to think of it.

cindy
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Re: Rand = The Doctor

There is that episode in the new series where The Doctor descends into a pit (=the bore), confronts satan (=the dark one), breaks open satan's prison (=breaks the seals), and hurls satan into a black hole (=Rand wins?!);)

i hope the end is more like the end of the universe arc where david tennant's Doctor confronts john simms' Master. with the very fun and evil soundtrack. it's got a great beat, and you can dance, and destroy time and space, to it.

i hate to think of the dark one as the empty shell in the satan pit. but i guess there's a decent chance he will be.

Juan
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh yes, Cindy, when time and space are destroyed, we should dance. :P

Madgod
01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Oh yes, Cindy, when time and space are destroyed, we should dance. :P

Of course we should, dancing is fun. Especially if you are using it as the euphemism in Doctor Who . . .
And I must congratulate cindy for coming up with such an amusing theory.

Juan
03-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Ok, so I just came up with another ridiculous idea.

So before I tell you that, let me tell how.. So I was looking around TL on my iPhone while at the DMV to pay for parking tickets. Btw, an hour of waiting only to be told that my tickets (after two weeks since I got it or so) aren't in the system because the cop wrote it up wrong. Very efficient... --sarcasm of course--

Anyway. So while there, I thought of Lan and Lanfear. Clearly, RJ wrote their names this way because it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that they will fall in love with each other.

Watch, I'll try and copy Felix's writing style:

Lan and Lanfear. What is Lanfear afraid (fearful) of? A lack of power. She was powerful as a channeler, but now, she's lost such power and much influence in the Shadow. Who can give her power and influence? A king. Lan is a King.

Who did Lanfear love? Not Lews Therin, but his position. What was his position? The Dragon. Lan Mandragoran. Can it be any more obvious? Lanfear is going to stalk Lan, much like Moiraine did when they first met. Then Lanfear and Lan will fall in love and Lan will be crowned King, which will allow Lanfear to be with the real Dragon and have influence and power as Queen and wife to a King.

Clearly, it's meant to be.

Rand al'Fain
03-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I lol'd.

looqas
03-04-2011, 03:37 AM
In the early drafts of WOT, Tam was the Dragon Reborn. That would explain the similarity between Tamlin and Tamyrlin.

Nice tidbit to know. I knew that the earlier versions had an older guy to be the DR (and RJ dumped the idea because the process was stuck), but didn't know it was supposed to be Tam!

Oh, and the crazy theory you have there going Juan is actually plausible. Good homage to Felix and a good start. I have to spread some love to Felix. I almost always enjoy reading his theories because they are wacky, entertaining, "coherent" and totally so far out there!

nameless
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Wasn't that story about Tam Lin and the Sidhe one of the reasons people thought Tam and Leane would end up getting hitched?

FelixPax
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Ok, so I just came up with another ridiculous idea.

ROLF, highly amusing! I enjoyed it! ;)
(Oh, how about Mierin AND Nynaeve stalk Lan in a Mirror World together!)

Of course now, who's the spit dog to help turn the "Pattern"? Nynaeve! Who's go to give her a sudden insight, how to turn the "Wheel of Time" with her hopes? Mi-Mog! Err...Mierin & Moghedien!

Nynaeve's ever amazing rotating Wicker Wheel handle... even Valan Luca in a dashing daring crimson red cape can't top it! Or maybe he can....

In a corner the spit dog was lying at its ease. Glaring at it, Nynaeve mopped sweat from her forehead with her hand and leaned her back into doing the work he should have done. I’d not have put it past them to shove me in his wicker wheel instead of letting me turn this Light-forsaken handle! Aes Sedai! Burn them all!

The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 29 "A Trap to Spring" -- Nynaeve point of view

Edit: High Speculation Below:

We're still missing a story moment a kin to Darth Vader's to "Luke I'm your father...." in WoT.

But who could be that possibly in WoT terms really? Perhaps a split personality villain who's truly family blood of a future Hero and King?

Mat saves Mierin (some how), and then she really looks in his eye ... then says "Mat, I'm your soul mother. You were born to Rhea who was my 'soul split clone' you a few hundreds years ago in Kandor. Your father was Rand al'Thor soul, who at the time was known as Caar One-Handed. Your my little baby Aemon al Caar al Thorin reborn again."

Mat's bloody shocked...'how do you know this? You were in the Bore for what 3,000 plus years right?' Mierin smiles and a crescent of two moons shines light down from the night's sky...then she says, "You can learn many things in a Mirror World... and the Eelfinn confirmed it."

Juan
03-05-2011, 03:38 AM
I knew you'd appreciate it, buddy. :P

And I'm glad the rest of you liked it as well. :)

Jonai
03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
The Felix Effect - A Theoryland institution. Latino, banjo playing, wot theorizing maestro. Truly a renn. man Juan.

Juan
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Hahahaa I do what I can, Jonai.