PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-hair-brained theory

maacaroni
01-25-2011, 06:36 AM
In the last book, the Perrin dreamspike played a significant role in resolving plotlines and the demise of Mesaana.

I put forward it will cause another serendipitous (ta'veren) plot twist.

The Seanchan have learnt to travel and as of ToM, Fortuona plans to attack Tar Valon.

When this happens, they revise their plans and instead will muster in a large field to the north of the city. The fields of Merrilor.

This will allow Randy to make his peace and possibly bow to the crystal throne.

Thoughts?

morat'corlm
01-25-2011, 07:35 AM
If I'm reading you right, you're saying that the dreamspike in Tar Valon will prevent the Seanchan assault. But this is not possible; Perrin destroyed the dreamspike in a nightmare: As Slayer advanced on him, Perrin gritted his teeth and hurled the ter'angreal into the river of lava.
"No!" Slayer screamed, reality returning around him.
The nightmare burst, its last vestiges vanishing. Perrin was left kneeling on the cold tiled floor of a small hallway. A short distance to his right, a melted lump of metal lay on the
ground. Perrin smiled. Like Slayer, the ter'angreal was here from the real world. And like a person, it could be broken and destroyed here. Above them, the violet dome had vanished.
Perhaps the Black Tower dreamspike could be repurposed, if it turns out that plotline was resolved before Merrilor, but I don't see what reason they'd have to move it to Tar Valon.

Besides, the Seanchan need to make it to the Tower basement to recover the Horn of Valere.

Ieyasu
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
If I'm reading you right, you're saying that the dreamspike in Tar Valon will prevent the Seanchan assault. But this is not possible; Perrin destroyed the dreamspike in a nightmare:
Perhaps the Black Tower dreamspike could be repurposed, if it turns out that plotline was resolved before Merrilor, but I don't see what reason they'd have to move it to Tar Valon.

Besides, the Seanchan need to make it to the Tower basement to recover the Horn of Valere.

That is not what he is saying at all.

He is saying that the Perrin Dreamspike chain reactioned events that led to the fall of Messana. This happened because Perrin is Ta'veren.

He is saying that a similar chain reaction of events involving Ta'veren will land the Seanchan at Rand's meeting.

One Armed Gimp
01-26-2011, 01:34 PM
In the last book, the Perrin dreamspike played a significant role in resolving plotlines and the demise of Mesaana.

I put forward it will cause another serendipitous (ta'veren) plot twist.

I also think the OP is referring to the "Perrin dreamspike" there.

Juan
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Yep. The way it was written it was definitely referring to the dreamspike.

@morat'corlm
As to your post: I believe Perrin was going to investigate that Black Tower dreamspike, so we may see some more action in that area.

Davian93
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Somewhat of a side note...I wonder if a Dream Spike can be finetuned to a specific distance. IE: Could it be modified so it only blocks off traveling inside the Tower or will it cover the entire city regardless. Could they develop stronger or weaker Dream Spikes for such purposes. I mean, blocking off an entire city would be highly inconvenient but you could easily see where a Spike that only blocks off the Stone (but not Tear) or the White Tower (but not the rest of Tar Valon) would be quite handy.

Cor Shan
01-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Maybe that's what Moridin's key is for?
Probably not.