PDA

View Full Version : Under Heaven (GGK) Reread

Davian93
02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
So, I just finished a reread of Under Heaven by GGK. I really liked it the first time around. This time around, I thought it was fantastic. I'd put it up there with GGK's very best work. Probably tied with Sailing to Sarantium & Lions of Al-Rassan and all three just below Tigana.

Thoughts?

Ishara
02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
It's funny - I'll have to do a re-read as well. I liked it - a lot - but didn't think it was one of his best. I have to admit to liking Last Light of the Sun a LOT better after a first and second re-read than I did upon the first read, so maybe it'll be like that.

Part of it was that you don't really feel an emotional connection to Tai. You do with his sister, but her story is secondary (almost tertiary). You're not meant to get inside his head, it's part of the style that GGK is emulating, and the time period and culture that he's writing about - but it made for a more removed read by me.

I think I'll jump into Ysabel again - that book I loved.

Davian93
02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I liked it more the 2nd time around by far. I haven't reread Last Light of the Sun yet but I'll get around to it eventually...probably after Lions as I haven't reread that one yet either and I loved that one the first time.

Ishara
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Lions for me is always in a perpetual tie for first with me. It was just so sweeping and epic, and personal that I love it with every fibre of my being. Re-read it!! I want to know who you prefer - Ammar or Rodrigo?

Davian93
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Lions for me is always in a perpetual tie for first with me. It was just so sweeping and epic, and personal that I love it with every fibre of my being. Re-read it!! I want to know who you prefer - Ammar or Rodrigo?

Rodrigo by a slim margin. I was quite upset at the ending (in a good way) because of that.

Ishara
02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah...me too. Ammar's grown on me every time I've read the book (which is lots), I love him a little more, but the same goes for Rodrigo, so he stays in the lead.

But I love how you can trace Diego's gift back to Shaksi from The Sarantine Mosaic...just another cool layer to GGK.

Davian93
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah...me too. Ammar's grown on me every time I've read the book (which is lots), I love him a little more, but the same goes for Rodrigo, so he stays in the lead.

But I love how you can trace Diego's gift back to Shaksi from The Sarantine Mosaic...just another cool layer to GGK.

I knew Rodrigo was doomed the second I realized that he had sons to carry on and Ammar didn't. At that point, it was simply a matter of "hoping" I was incorrect.

Ishara
02-15-2011, 08:54 AM
You know, it's funny. I *never* looked at it that way. But, I still would have been heartbroken if Ammar had died, as Jehane didn't deserve to be alone...

I'm re-reading Ysabel right now. Loving it just as much as i did the last time I read it (and the time before that).

Read the Fionavar Tapestry Dav!!