PDA

View Full Version : Black Magician Trilogy

ChubbyAiel
02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Has anyone read Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy? I've just finished reading it and I thought it was pretty good.

It had relatively few major characters and although there was some travel, most of the action took place in a single city. This made the world seem rather small but I don't think the series suffered for that at all - after the sprawling world of the WoT and its many minor characters, which at times have got a bit out of hand, it was quite a positive thing.

I'm also a big fan of the way that each volume in the trilogy was a distinct book, with its own arc that combine with the others to form the story of the trilogy as a whole. So many fantasy series seem to be arbitrarily divided up into their volumes based on how much the author has written or by a desire to simply have similar sized books (it seems to me).

It was also quite interesting to see a gay character, which is not something you see much of in fantasy series.

So what does anyone else think?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-08-2011, 06:57 AM
I thought we already had a thread about this... but apparently not here, it's probably in the archives somewhere :)

I've read it and I liked it. I liked Age of the Five more, you could definitely tell that the publisher had been convinced to allow Canavan to have more volume and experiment in unusual themes.

I also read the prequel to Black Magician and did not like that. Well, not exactly disliked but I was expecting more of the prequel. The plot just seemed much too similar to the original trilogy.

ChubbyAiel
02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Ah - I checked the board to see if it had already been posted but didn't think to check the archives.

I might give this Age of Five a go in that case. I'll probably read the prequel as well if I can borrow it off a friend.