PDA

View Full Version : Wise Man's Fear March 1!!!!

Basel Gill
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Long awaited sequel to The Name of the Wind. A must read for me and thought you might want to know if you haven't heard.

Daekyras
02-08-2011, 04:40 AM
i like the sound of this basel.

I enjoyed the first book. A cut above the usual "fantasy" being peddled these days(i'm looking at you, brent weeks!)

kvothe is a great character.

Basel Gill
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Kvothe is a really intriguing character. I was really disappointed in having to wait so long for next book.

I'm surprised though, I liked Night Angel trilogy. Haven't read any other Weeks' stuff.

Daekyras
02-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Kvothe is a really intriguing character. I was really disappointed in having to wait so long for next book.

I'm surprised though, I liked Night Angel trilogy. Haven't read any other Weeks' stuff.

Maybe it's just me but I found Weeks work to be incredibly...derivative? I hope that's the right word.

It felt devoid of any real ideas and was too much like other works I had read before. Having said that, I might not be a fan of this "modern Fantasy". I really don't like Joe Abercrombie either and both he and Weeks seem like poster boys for it...

Basel Gill
02-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Maybe it's just me but I found Weeks work to be incredibly...derivative? I hope that's the right word.

It felt devoid of any real ideas and was too much like other works I had read before. Having said that, I might not be a fan of this "modern Fantasy". I really don't like Joe Abercrombie either and both he and Weeks seem like poster boys for it...

I will have to admit a limited experience with other authors. I have a horrible tendency to find something I like and stick to it exclusively. I find myself watching re-runs rather than new TV shows. When I first read LotR, I re-read it 20 times before I ever read anything else, etc. So...I guess what I am saying is that I had never read anything similar so I maybe it just seemed different to me?

WinespringBrother
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
An excerpt from the book was posted today:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/excerpt-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss

WinespringBrother
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
New excerpt (video, reading by PR):

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/02/video-excerpt-from-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss

WinespringBrother
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Up to pg 256. So far, this book is WAY better than TNOTW. Makes it seem like an appetizer!

TeeJay
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
read it twice now. better than the first.

gief moar Kvothe!

and is it just me, or is Bast getting creepier and scarier?

nameless
03-21-2011, 06:34 PM
So do people think this one's worth picking up? I liked Name of the Wind in general, but thought it was pretty slow and that some of the subplots could have been combined or compressed to leave more room for the main story.

nameless
03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Wow, Wise Man's Fear is way better than the first one... I'm really interested to see where this story's headed from here.