PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished tWoK (Spoilers Obviously)

Davian93
02-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Overall, I'd probably give it an 8 out of 10. It was a solid progression in BS's writing style and ability. His work on WoT has clearly influenced his writing style and world building ability (already a strength for him as shown by Mistborn). The book drags at times and it was a bit hard to get into for the first 100-150 pages as it jumped around a bit in my opinion.

Brandon does seem to really love writing action/battle scenes though he limits to to quick sprints in his books. Much like Mistborn, it seemed as if he started off with 75% of the book getting everyone into position and finished it with a rapid fire sprint with the classic Sanderson "last-stand" battle scene.

Strengths:

1. I absolutely LOVE his magic system...even more so than Mistborn.

2. Kaladin is a great great character who is very well written. Dalinor is too while Shallan is a bit less so IMHO. Shallan did grow a bit as it went on in very predictable ways. Kaladin pissed me off from time to time but did so in a good way.

3. The twist/twists at the end were a bit obvious but still good.

4. Lots of good theorizing possiblities and if I ever decide to get into tSA as much as WoT, I will probably enjoy that aspect of the series. I read over the other threads here and the linked pages and was happily impressed that Tam & Terez haven't lost their respective edges.

Weaknesses:

1. Pacing was an issue at times. It also jumped around a bit from different characters and different time periods. It took a couple of "crap, I need to reread that chapter" moments for me. Not a bad thing overall but I will definitely be rereading the book now with a much better eye for what's going on.

2. Some of the action scenes seems a bit too much. I laughed when Jonai mentioned it as "Mighty Morphin High Fantasy" or something like that...exactly what I was thinking at times. There was a tempest of action scenes in this book...an absolute tempest.

3. There's a 2 year wait till the next one comes out. This annoys me as I hate waiting. Damn those annoying WoT fans for forcing him to finish aMoL.

So, overall, very good book and a solid opening to what should be a very good to great series...as long as he doesn't go with the Mistborn super mega happy ending.

Terez
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
4. Lots of good theorizing possiblities and if I ever decide to get into tSA as much as WoT, I will probably enjoy that aspect of the series. I read over the other threads here and the linked pages and was happily impressed that Tam & Terez haven't lost their respective edges.
lol, I have no idea what you're even talking about.

Artur pendragon
02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Bad at abbreviations here what is tSA?

Davian93
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Bad at abbreviations here what is tSA?

The Stormlight Archives...

lol, I have no idea what you're even talking about.

Your continuing ability to pick up on small details and provide references on stuff. How many times have you read tWoK?

Terez
02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Your continuing ability to pick up on small details and provide references on stuff. How many times have you read tWoK?
Ah. Just once, though I've been back through bits of it while working on the Wiki, which I did for a few weeks (just after the Hunt) before TOM frenzy started to come on.

Basel Gill
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
About 100 pages left to finish this. I really feel like Brandon's writing is blossoming here. MUCH more fleshed out than Mistborn (even though I liked it), love his magic ideas, fully developed subplots, I'm certainly looking forward to the next one!

Res_Ipsa
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Is it just me or with BS do you have to just put his books down after a period of time say a couple hours reading and just go and do something else or think about it. For some reason his style means I like to digest it over a period of time and cannot just sit down and read through it.

yks 6nnetu hing
04-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Is it just me or with BS do you have to just put his books down after a period of time say a couple hours reading and just go and do something else or think about it. For some reason his style means I like to digest it over a period of time and cannot just sit down and read through it.

it's just you.