PDA

View Full Version : The Last Ring-bearer

Mort
02-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Someone, back in 1999, wrote a different version of Lord of the Rings (http://www.salon.com/books/laura_miller/2011/02/15/last_ringbearer/index.html). Using the familiar "history is written by the winners" concept, the author explored the writings of LOTR as being a romanticied/propaganda version of what really happened. So he wrote a fairly different account of events from Lord of The Rings from Mordor's viewpoint. :)

Only recently it's been available as a whole in english. It's a free download btw!

I havn't read it yet, but probably will soon enough. Anyone read it? The idea of writing alternative storys intrigue me a lot.

The first link is to a review of the book, it links to the this page (http://ymarkov.livejournal.com/270570.html) where some more info and the download can be done.

Zombie Sammael
05-20-2011, 06:04 PM
It's a shame the author decided to couch this story in Middle Earth. Reading the review it sounds like it would make a fantastic original story; a fledgling technological empire beset by scheming elder races and warlike human neighbours sounds like a great idea for a fantasy series.

sandoz12
05-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I have read this story and it started off great. I loved this passage:
"This, then, was the yeast on which Barad-Dur rose six centuries ago, that amazing city of alchemists and poets, mechanics and astronomers, philosophers and physicians, the heart of the only civilization in Middle Earth to bet on rational knowledge and bravely pitch its barely adolescent technology against ancient magic. The shining tower of the Barad-Dur citadel rose over the plains of Mordor almost as high as Orodruin like a monument to Man –
free Man who had politely but firmly declined the guardianship of the Dwellers on High and started living by his own reason. It was a challenge to the bone-headed aggressive West, which was still picking lice in its log ‘castles’ to the monotonous chanting of scalds extolling the wonders of never-existing Númenor."

But after about a quarter of the way through the book lost its fizz and became quite cumbersome to finish. A real shame as the idea and opening to the story were excellent.

DahLliA
05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
gonna check it out... soon :p

sandoz12
05-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I reckon the same idea would be interesting for the Wheel of Time. A book/series explaining things from the Dark Ones POV and with the Chosen as the good guys.

How I would do it is take the idea that the Wheel provides endless dharma/suffering and only through the absence of the wheel can people achieve freedom from suffering/Nirvana. And so the DO is trying to eliminate suffering and the Chosen are various intellectual powerhouses who have realised this and will help him despite being despised by humanity for doing so. Making their decision all the more honourable and heroic.