PDA

View Full Version : Monarchies of God

ChubbyAiel
03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Has anyone read The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney? It's quite a short series, rather different from a lot of fantasy being set in a Early Modern setting with gunpowder, arquebuses and cannon, and it has a relatively ill-defined magic system (which isn't a bad thing in the context of the story) and a very heavy nautical theme in the first volume.

Personally I thought it was very good, though it is completely different from the Wheel of Time - even though it has a wide geographical setting and the books, though short, are spread out to cover events that unfold over many years, it doesn't have the epic good vs evil conflict (the battles are basically people vs people, each with their own world view though evil acts are committed more by one side in each conflict) and there is no messianic figure.

If anyone else has read it, I'd like to know what you thought. Apparently one common criticism is that it is basically too grim representing the futility of war and having prominent heroes die pointless, uninspiring deaths, but for some reason that appealed to me. One turn-off for me was struggling through the nautical terminology in the first few chapters but I soon got used to it. Kearney also has a slightly annoying habit of not writing in full sentences at times which had me hopping up and down, but generally it's good stuff.