PDA

View Full Version : The weeping song.

Universum
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure that everyone is as weepy as I am, but I'm sure all of you have, at least at one point, cried when reading WOT. Tell me when!

I'll start.

Obviously I cried when Moiraine "died". I cried so much I couldn't keep on reading, because everything was all blurry, and the pages of the book got wet from the tears.

I cried when Egwene asked Perrin if he would dance with her at Sunday, when they were hiding from the Whitecloaks. Both when it happned, and when Perrin was thinking back to it.

Hopper's final death.

At the end of TGS, when Rand became happy again.

And even though I dislike Egwene, I cried as a baby when she was raised to Amyrlin. Both times.

These are the ones I can think of straight away. I'm sure I've cried much more than this, but for now, this is what sticks.

Also, extra cred to you, if you know where the title is from. ;P

ChubbyAiel
03-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't think I've ever cried because of a book. Films yes, but not books. The closest I've come to crying because of a book was The Stand when the wife of the sherriff asks Nick to bury her in her wedding dress when she knows she's about to die, and The Farseer Trilogy when Patience has her moments of depression but comes good and at the end when... things don't work out ideally for Fitz. I needed a good sit down and a cup of tea after the latter.

Weiramon
03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Some may have wept when hearing the story of a young Andoran Wisdom asking some Malkieri merchant about accompanying her husband on horseback.

But the most important tears were likely shed when the Lord Dragon announced in the Stone that the law applied to High Lords the same as to commoners.

Casabamelon
03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I have cried while reading before, but can't say I've ever done it with WoT.

First time I can remember crying was at the end of Robin Hood. I seem to recall crying in the last Harry Potter book, can't recall when, though.

Elwynn
03-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Wow, lets see. Nearly everything mentioned already.

Rands trip through the columns, the aes sedai talking about ten thousand aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who he is. How they sang to the last one, with him listening and killing them one by one. I cry every time.

For some reason I choke up when rand gets everyone trapped in the portal stone, and mat comes out the other side begging rand to believe him that he would never give him up.

Probably a thousand other things I can't think of, but will hopefully be posted by others and jog my memory.

Crispin's Crispian
03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Easy. When Mesaana makes the little speech about finding a "way to teach them ALL!"

I cried for the loss of my WoT innocence.

Universum
03-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Easy. When Mesaana makes the little speech about finding a "way to teach them ALL!"

I cried for the loss of my WoT innocence.

That's the thing, isn't it? I've always sort of seen WoT as a kind of innocent and "child friendly" series. But I've started to realise that it really isn't. There's death, molesting, violence, insanity, horror.. it's such a dark series, but so bright at the same time.

Crispin's Crispian
03-17-2011, 06:12 PM
That's the thing, isn't it? I've always sort of seen WoT as a kind of innocent and "child friendly" series. But I've started to realise that it really isn't. There's death, molesting, violence, insanity, horror.. it's such a dark series, but so bright at the same time.
LOL...no that's not what I meant at all.

The line was so god-damned corny that I started feeling that maybe WoT was just another sword-and-sorcery fantasy series. Of course it's not, but that didn't do much to stave off my disappointment.

Rand al'Fain
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't think I ever have. I've been infuriated plenty (Elven Bane series), disgusted (Vampire Earth), and down right horrified by actions (Runelords), but never have I cried. Though I did feel a lot of pity and sympathy for Rachel in Animorphs at the end of the series, but that would be the closest.

The Wheel of Time is the above, but in a more subtle manner.

Kimon
03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Never for WoT, but have to admit to a couple of "it's just dusty in here" moments while reading Tigana.

Daekyras
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure that everyone is as weepy as I am, but I'm sure all of you have, at least at one point, cried when reading WOT. Tell me when!
I'll start.
Obviously I cried when Moiraine "died". I cried so much I couldn't keep on reading, because everything was all blurry, and the pages of the book got wet from the tears.
I cried when Egwene asked Perrin if he would dance with her at Sunday, when they were hiding from the Whitecloaks. Both when it happned, and when Perrin was thinking back to it.
Hopper's final death.
At the end of TGS, when Rand became happy again. And even though I dislike Egwene, I cried as a baby when she was raised to Amyrlin. Both times.
These are the ones I can think of straight away. I'm sure I've cried much more than this, but for now, this is what sticks.
Also, extra cred to you, if you know where the title is from. ;P

the weeping song? Nick cave i think...

Universum
03-18-2011, 02:28 AM
the weeping song? Nick cave i think...

That is correct.

Juan
03-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Never WOT. But there are a select few movies. ASoIF and the runelords have gotten me damn close. I think it's because in movies and even a few music videos you can see and hear, whereas in literature you have to imagine what you see and hear, so reading is less impacting than movies and the sort.

I am fairly certain I will cry or at least be very depressed when WOT is completed.

Lightning
03-18-2011, 03:13 AM
I've been known to cry over a book or a movie plenty of times but I can't really recall any weep worthy moments in WoT. For me that is.

I would have to admit to getting teary eyed when I read the memories in Aviendhas second trip in the glass columns. Especially the way she described her husband and how he kept breaking down, and then in the hollow where he barely had the will to go on, and the final straw was how the baby was dead and she couldn't even feel sadness. The things in those memories got to me almost more than anything else in the series.

ChubbyAiel
03-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Some may have wept when hearing the story of a young Andoran Wisdom asking some Malkieri merchant about accompanying her husband on horseback.

Yeah, that was a bit of a throat-tightener. I'd forgotten about that, though I didn't actually weep.

GonzoTheGreat
03-18-2011, 05:48 AM
The line was so god-damned corny that I started feeling that maybe WoT was just another sword-and-sorcery fantasy series.Go watch a couple of episodes of Jersey Shore (or another MTV product of your choice, for that matter), and you'll learn that actual real* world people can indeed outcorny Mesaana easily.

* I do hope they're not actors, at least. The idea that they're using a script writer is rather grating.

Zombie Sammael
03-18-2011, 05:54 AM
I think I cried during the end of TGS (a little bit) but not the rest of the series. There isn't really that much emotional-impacting stuff in the books in that kind of way. I expect the next book will make me cry.

1Powerslave
03-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I recall several people thinking the start of a heroic defense at a Kandori? Arafellin? border outpost from the prologue of tGS or ToM was a teary thing. Didn't do it for me. Fading Words and "The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gaidon" were lump in throat moments though.

Universum
03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
"The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gaidon"

Oh. Totally forgot about that one. Yep, I wept like child.

ChubbyAiel
03-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Go watch a couple of episodes of Jersey Shore (or another MTV product of your choice, for that matter), and you'll learn that actual real* world people can indeed outcorny Mesaana easily.

* I do hope they're not actors, at least. The idea that they're using a script writer is rather grating.

Did you proof-read this, Gonzo? If you had, you would have noticed that you suggested someone watch Jersey Shore. How irresponsible of you.

GonzoTheGreat
03-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Did you proof-read this, Gonzo? If you had, you would have noticed that you suggested someone watch Jersey Shore. How irresponsible of you.I assume we're all adults here, and are quite capable of letting out prejudices handle dealing with Jersey Shore. If mister Dog can't actually think of that solution before watching the program for a while, that's his problem, not mine.

ChubbyAiel
03-18-2011, 08:55 AM
I assume we're all adults here, and are quite capable of letting out prejudices handle dealing with Jersey Shore. If mister Dog can't actually think of that solution before watching the program for a while, that's his problem, not mine.

I was only joshin'. Didn't mean to sound too puritanical. Should have used a winky. ;) There.

Crispin's Crispian
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I was only joshin'. Didn't mean to sound too puritanical. Should have used a winky. ;) There.

It's all good. I don't have cable or satellite, so I can't watch it anyway. ;)

Juan
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
@Chubby
Who is Josh and why are you using his name as a verb?

:P

He's gonna sue you for trademark infringement.

Lightning
03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I recall several people thinking the start of a heroic defense at a Kandori? Arafellin? border outpost from the prologue of tGS or ToM was a teary thing.

Yes definitely. The whole father and son moment really tightened things up in my chest. I'm always touched by the kind of moments where people choose to make a stand and fight in the face of near certain death and defeat.

Juan
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
@Powerslave
Yeah. That's the closest I got in WOT. Those moments always tear at my heartstrings.

The Unreasoner
03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Eyes watered a bit in:
Hopper's final death and its aftermath, the miners in Aiel future refusing to trade food for fear of the Ravens, Ingtar's last stand, and "The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gaidon" by the jewel merchant.

Only time I really cried was actually in joy, when Perrin and the wolves are dream-partying after Rand has his epiphany. "Let it begin!", easily my favorite line of the series.

David Selig
03-18-2011, 07:58 PM
The closest I've come to crying while reading WoT is probably Ingtar's death. "The last embrace of the mother welcomes you home" line gets me every time.

Rand trying to resurrect the little girl in the Stone after the Trolloc attack is quite moving too.

Madgod
03-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Closest I've come to crying is Verin's death in TGS. Given the fact that this and one scene in Malazan's Memory of Ice are the only two scenes that really made me have any emotional reaction, that says something for the writing quality there. (Not that the other scenes aren't written well though)

IvySedai
03-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I never cried reading WOT. True, I´ve got all chilled, amazed, spark eyed and felt all sort of emotions in those memorable moments. But what made me close to crying weren´t the major characters moments. My throat actually tights when RJ writes about children and their suffering in the story. Like a mom and their children in Carhien (Mat helped them), or that child and family at the hands of Myrdraal, or that child who saw Fain molesting his mother. Specially those children in Carhien, I always though those were real RJ memories from Vietnam.

Spasmodean
03-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I have testicles ergo; I don't cry.

But the scene with the Malkieri merchant and Nynaeve definitely made my throat tight with emotion.

greebo
03-21-2011, 02:57 AM
I think almost all of the scenes mentioned got me, though some more than others. I absolutely have to add the part when Perrin meets his young cousin at the battle of the Two Rivers and realizes he isn't the last of his family. I actually found several moments of his story in that book pretty moving, but that one sticks out for me.

ChubbyAiel
03-21-2011, 06:53 AM

Not sure that's a healthy attitude to have, Spasmodean. Come on. Let it out. We're all here for you. :D

GonzoTheGreat
03-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Not sure that's a healthy attitude to have, Spasmodean.Not here, at least. I'm quite sure volunteers can be found to 'help', so that crying does become an acceptable option for Spasmodean. Having a sister who is a veterinary surgeon teaches one to be careful with what one says.

Daekyras
03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
I have never cried while reading WoT.

I think I shed a tear over WoT when RJ passed though.

As for tears while reading fantasy, I think the only time was while reading "the Sapphire Rose" by David Eddings.

For any of you who have read it, or those who will, I defy you to say you didn't well up when the "Kurik" scene followed by Talens response and then again when he meets Aslade. Every Damn Time it gets to me...

Casabamelon
03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I remember finding out RJ had passed. I just sat, dumbfounded for a while. Couldn't believe it.

I had forgotten about Avi's future trip through the rings. I actually felt sick reading that section.

Mort
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Crying? Tears? What are these things you are talking about?

Seriously though, I can't recall I've shed water over WoT. Some scenes were very gripping though - usually in a positive way, and some scenes that for all intents and purposes should have been emotional didn't move me a bit.

Not a lot of moments in WoT that are really cry worthy, or the scene isn't written in a way that it would be to me.

The only moment I can remember getting misty eyed about is to a scene from Robin Hobb's story about Fitz. I don't want to spoil it for someone who hasn't read it yet.

Those two series (Farseer and Tawny man) by Hobb are probably the most depressing, sad, anguishing, mournful, heartwarming, joyful I've ever read. I highly recommend it.

ChubbyAiel
03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Those two series (Farseer and Tawny man) by Hobb are probably the most depressing, sad, anguishing, mournful, heartwarming, joyful I've ever read. I highly recommend it.

I agree with you completely. Probably my favourite books. Maybe that's a contention admission on a WoT site.

dominominic
04-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Closest I've come to crying is Verin's death in TGS. Given the fact that this and one scene in Malazan's Memory of Ice are the only two scenes that really made me have any emotional reaction, that says something for the writing quality there. (Not that the other scenes aren't written well though)

Which scene in Memories of Ice?

Madgod
04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Which scene in Memories of Ice?

Well, in Memories of Ices it would be Whiskeyjack's death scene. Since I was thinking books at the time, I also forgot about the final episode of the second series of Torchwood, when Owen and Tosh both die. I guess I'm a soft touch for scenes like that.

GonzoTheGreat
04-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Did you also cry whenNarg died, or are you prejudiced against those of the "wrong" species?

LewsTherin10
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
The battle in the Two Rivers is pretty emotional, but I'd have to say that I got pretty misty-eyed when Rand returned to Tear and faced Tam and they hugged.

Weiramon
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
The battle in the Two Rivers is pretty emotional, but I'd have to say that I got pretty misty-eyed when Rand returned to Tear and faced Tam and they hugged.

Aye, there was much to cry about when the Lord Dragon returned to Tear that time.

Lupusdeusest
04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I got a little teary when I recognised Almen...

maacaroni
04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
He would never get his leg sorted, old WJ, would he?

As for Torchwood, I could never get around the fact that the fate of the world is in the hands of a camp American man who does showtunes. In Cardiff.

"Iechyd da, girlfriend! *clicks fingers like African American woman*"

SauceyBlueConfetti
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Cried at the aforementioned scenes with Nynaeve.

Other books:
Fionovar I won't spoil for those unitiated, but a scene with Diarmuid makes me frickin' SOB every single time I read it.

Time Travelers Wife made me cry at the end

Casabamelon
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
"Iechyd da, girlfriend! *clicks fingers like African American woman*"

Was than an "Oh snap!"?