PDA

View Full Version : Narasimha: Divine Rage

New Futurist Man
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Did RJ set out to allot characters the titles of real world gods/goddesses/heroes because he intended his WoT characters to be an analogue of them and mimic some of their formative events as recorded in mythology?

The Mat/Odin similarity turned out to be more than merely the wearing of a wide-brimmed hat and the carrying of a magical spear. And theres quite a few other instances of cross-over.

So if the answer's "Yes," is it possible Narishma is destined to assume some of the qualities of his namesake Narasimha, avatar of Vishnu. Who, according to the Rig Veda, was "like some wild beast, dread, prowling, mountain-roaming" (RV.I 154.2a).

Egwene's foretelling dream does suggest that Callandor is going to come into Narishma's possession at some point. Probably when the Asha'man and Aes Sedai unite against the Seanchan.

Prayer to Narasimha: "O Angry and brave Maha-Vishnu, your heat and fire permeate everywhere. O Lord Narasimha, you are everywhere. You are the death of death and I surrender to You."

Would be a turn up for the books if brooding, silent Narishma turned into a whirlwind of death and destruction like the namesake who's possibly also provided template for his inner character and destiny...

Weird Harold
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Did RJ set out to allot characters the titles of real world gods/goddesses/heroes ...

Yes.

No.

Sort of.

RJ set out to write a universe that is both our world's past and it's future. Names, characteristics, attributes, etc are all jumbled with some only getting the similar names, and some getting the legend and others getting the whole shooting match.

There are numerous discussions about RJ's sources and inspirations online -- not few of them right here.

Edynol
04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Wasn't it Narishma holding Callandor durring the cleansing of Saidin? I think that vision already came true.

jana
04-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Wasn't it Narishma holding Callandor durring the cleansing of Saidin? I think that vision already came true.

Yes it was

Terez
04-23-2011, 03:31 AM
Assuming that the brightly-shining object was actually Callandor, and that the dark young man was actually Narishma.