PDA

View Full Version : 2 new theories after re-read

niteshadow29
04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
So as I finish up my re-read I have noticed 2 things that have me curious if I am interpreting it right or not. I was hoping for some insight from some of the more informed readers here.

First one is that I believe Lan is Ta'avern. There are numerous times during New Spring that it mentions him being the luckiest person in the borderland as well as associating incidents to Lan's presence. (IE. The fall from a balcony without any injury as well as his own fall down the stairs.) Also throughout the series his presence alone seems to inspire and draw in people. Just a theory though.

The second one is concerning the Eye of the World. This is the only place I see a mention of the white cord that is linked to Rand. Originally I thought this was a link to the Eye of the World but on my re-read I think it has a different meaning now.

I believe that it is a link to the Pattern and the One Power. After the battle Rand notes that the cord is significantly smaller but not completely gone. However when Morraine mentions the Eye of the World she says that the pool is completely gone.

My theory on this is that Rand has had the link to the One Power the entire series but it wasn't until his Dragonmount epiphany that he realized how to properly use it. The battles in EoTW and ToM are the only two times in the series that I can find where he makes a direct connection to the planet and uses his powers on such a grand scale.I think it is this link that will come into play during TG and may be a significant reason for no POV's during ToM.

Weird Harold
04-26-2011, 09:58 AM
First one is that I believe Lan is Ta'avern. There are numerous times during New Spring ...

Lan might have been ta'veren in New Spring, but he is no longer ta'veren if he was. IIRC, RJ said that only the Three Amigos are Ta'veren in the time frame of the mainline series.

This is the only place I see a mention of the white cord that is linked to Rand. Originally I thought this was a link to the Eye of the World but on my re-read I think it has a different meaning now.

Your first impression was correct; the golden cord was RAnd's connection to the pure Saidin in the EotW. Ba'alzamon's black cord was a connection to either Tainted Saidin or the True Power -- or at least Rand's visualization of the connections.

There are a lot of little things in tEotW that aren't consistent with the following novels; in part that's because tEotW was the equivalent of a pilot episode, which might have had to stand on its own if the whole series wasn't picked up.

Many of those inconsistencies are deliberate; the result of Rand's (and others') lack of understanding about things he (they) understands better and sees differently in later situations.

Zombie Sammael
04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
There are a lot of little things in tEotW that aren't consistent with the following novels; in part that's because tEotW was the equivalent of a pilot episode, which might have had to stand on its own if the whole series wasn't picked up.

Many of those inconsistencies are deliberate; the result of Rand's (and others') lack of understanding about things he (they) understands better and sees differently in later situations.

There are a lot of little things in TGH that aren't consistent with the rest of the series as well, such as RJ's move to downplay Hurin's special powers.

niteshadow29
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I do understand the inconsistencies in the descriptions but as far as the cords are concerned it stays consistent throughout the books when describing the dark cord that links the Forsaken to the DO. In fact this leads me to another theory concerning the cords. I believe the sword Rand creates is created using the power from his cord and not Saidin. Several times through the series the Forsaken are baffled at how he is able to cut their link with the DO. Any time the sword is described I do not see any description of the weaves. Even when he is in the presence of other's who should be able to see them.

The white cord that Rand links to is described as being smaller but not gone even after the battle at Tarwin's Gap which drains the Eye of the World. Of course the book doesn't say that is how and when the source is emptied but there is no significant use of the power following that.

I believe that the cord is a link to the One Power and is sort of like a reserve that builds up over time. The reason I lean towards this is during ToM Rand insinuates that the power he uses at the battle of Maradon was limited in usage and that he may have used too much already. I do not have the book with me right now so I am not sure of the exact reference for that conversation.

Weird Harold
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
I do understand the inconsistencies in the descriptions but as far as the cords are concerned it stays consistent throughout the books when describing the dark cord that links the Forsaken to the DO.

No, the description does NOT stay the same; Ba'alzamon's cord is described as thick and pulsing, like a heartbeat at tEotW/Tarwin's Gap. Every other example of the "black cords" describes "fine black steel wires."

The white cord that Rand links to is described as being smaller but not gone even after the battle at Tarwin's Gap which drains the Eye of the World.

The final stages of Rand's detour to Tarwin's Gap to face Ba'alzamon is a classic "astral projection's silver cord" link from an out-of-body spirit and the physical body -- the link Rand had to follow to get back to the real world from T'A'R or whereever the battle at Tarwin's Gap took place.

There is no other description of anything resembling a "silver cord," so I guess technicly every description of Rand's "Silver Cord" is consistent.

niteshadow29
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm confused now. Are you saying it's possible that he still has the link to the silver cord and that it just has not been mentioned again? Or that it is not possible and he lost it after the Tarwin Gap/Ba'alzamon event?

Weird Harold
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm confused now. Are you saying it's possible that he still has the link to the silver cord and that it just has not been mentioned again? Or that it is not possible and he lost it after the Tarwin Gap/Ba'alzamon event?

I'm simply saying that it has never been mentioned or described again.

An 'umbilical' stretching from a channeler's navel into some indefineable distance, whether black, gold white or silver, is simply not an image/metaphor that RJ reused.

niteshadow29
05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I noticed today while reading through interview quotes something that BS said. It makes me feel as if I may be onto something with the cord theory.

Interesting. In EotW, Rand uses Light & Power. Is it significant that he uses Light & Power again in ToM?

Brandon

Yes.