PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you try...

Sei'taer
07-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Cuil (http://www.cuil.com/) today?

I couldn't get it to work very often because the servers were overloaded. The few times I did get it to work I didn't think it was all that good. I did find some articles about it and it is talking up how it doesn't save your searches like google does...something I could care less about. I didn't like the way the page came back after the search either, and also, I can type a sentence into google and get a return on it (thats called something but I can't remember the term), but that didn't seem to work with this. I also didn't like the way it sorted the found items...seemed hard to scan, and also there was no way to search for images or news alone...you get them all jumbled together with everything else. I tried several simple searches, mostly I tried TL and some news sites (http://www.cuil.com/search?q=wheel%20of%20time&sl=long), (heres one I did get to open) but only got one to come up. I'll prolly stick with google for the time being, unless something goes really bad with it. ANyone else try it and have any luck?

Terez
07-28-2008, 03:41 PM
If it ain't broke...

Cary Sedai
07-28-2008, 03:44 PM
My boss got all excited about it and told me to try it. I didn't think it was that special. I got the overloaded message a few times too, then stopped fooling with it.

JSUCamel
07-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I think Cuil has a lot of potential, but those kinds of businesses have a chicken-and-egg problem. In order to compete with Google, you have to return searches faster and rank them more relevantly than Google does. The problem is that Google has something on the order of 30-300 Petabytes worth of data (a Petabyte is a thousand Terabytes which is a thousand gigabytes.. most computers these days come with hard drives in the 200-500 Gigabyte range).

According to an article I read, Cuil has only indexed about 120 million websites.. maybe that's billion. But regardless, that's not enough in terms of the entire content of the web (which is billions, if not trillions, of websites in size).

The other thing is that Google has infrastructure around the world -- every major city has a Google center. Cuil probably has a handful of data centers to draw from.

If Cuil can draw enough traffic away from Yahoo and MSN Search and Altavista and all of those other searches, then it bulk up in size and power and eventually challenge Google. Setting out to compete with Google as a goal is a bad idea. Take out the small guys, build up and THEN challenge Google. And I think the Cuil guys know that.

Give it time. It will get better.