PDA

View Full Version : Pre-theory musings

fdsaf3
05-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey everyone,

I am cooking up a theory that I wanted to get some feedback. I don't know if I've posted too many of my own theories on this forum yet, so if it is way off base please be gentle. :)

I will also admit up front that I am not an expert in the books, so if I misunderstood a concept from the books, it was not intentional (Terez).

Ok, on to the pre-theory!

Rand will break the seals to the Dark One's prison in tel aran rhiod by channeling the true power

Here's the gist of my thought process of how this makes sense.

1. We know Rand has a strong talent in dreaming. This is evidenced throughout the series, but I'll pick out scenes for evidence in my official theory summation. To the best of my knowledge, Rand knows how to enter dreams in the flesh. This is vital to my theory as this is how he would get the seals into TAR.

2. We know that the seals are unbreakable in the real world. We also know that TAR operates under different rules. Perrin was able to destroy the dreamspike by throwing it into the lava of a nightmare, so destroying physical objects in TAR is possible. Again, this is a vital piece of the puzzle.

3. The Blight (and I assume Shayol Ghul) are inaccessible through TAR. I am quoting from the RJ interview database:

Blight: you can not enter it from Tel'aran'rhiod because it is apart from NORMAL UNIVERSE and can not be touched. The Blight is not part of the normal universe.

Now, because of this, I am assuming that the seals will be able to be broken. Why? Because the seals connect this world to the Dark One. We know that the Dark One is outside the normal universe, so therefore the seals will be weaker in TAR.

My theory is that Rand will channel the TP (which emanates from the Dark One) and break the seals in TAR. The Dark One will be unable to interact with that action as he cannot directly touch TAR, so Rand can avoid the counterstrike LTT suffered in the Age of Legends.

That's the basics of the theory. I'm wondering if anyone has any constructive feedback to add before I spend any more time writing this up and/or thinking about it. I have finals to study for. :)

Rand al'Fain
05-10-2011, 12:44 AM
I thought that the seals were to the point that he could just use a hammer to break them, if not just throw them on the ground.

Zombie Sammael
05-10-2011, 01:45 AM
I thought that the seals were to the point that he could just use a hammer to break them, if not just throw them on the ground.

One thing I had been wondering is if they're that fragile are they actually still doing anything, or are they actually already "broken" as far as their intended purpose goes and all that's left is a crumbly disc that used to be cuendillar? For example, that one that Moiraine cut a tiny bit off of. Isn't that breaking it? Moiraine didn't seem to think it mattered, either because she was cutting only a tiny piece from the whole or because it was already useless.

However, the seals are physical representations of a metaphysical concept; a patch on a "hole" in the pattern. It's this metaphysical function which counts, not the physical representation. I would have thought that by the time you've got to the point where you can cut bits of a previously indestructible seal it's pretty much useless as far as fulfilling that metaphysical function of sealing is concerned.

WinespringBrother
05-10-2011, 07:57 AM
TAR is a good place for the last battle since trollocs and fades presumably can't go there either. Throw in a dreamspike and that will keep pesky forsaken from gating in also!

Tamyrlin
05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey everyone,

I am cooking up a theory that I wanted to get some feedback. I don't know if I've posted too many of my own theories on this forum yet, so if it is way off base please be gentle. :)

I will also admit up front that I am not an expert in the books, so if I misunderstood a concept from the books, it was not intentional (Terez).

Ok, on to the pre-theory!

Rand will break the seals to the Dark One's prison in tel aran rhiod by channeling the true power

Here's the gist of my thought process of how this makes sense.

1. We know Rand has a strong talent in dreaming. This is evidenced throughout the series, but I'll pick out scenes for evidence in my official theory summation. To the best of my knowledge, Rand knows how to enter dreams in the flesh. This is vital to my theory as this is how he would get the seals into TAR.

[...]

That's the basics of the theory. I'm wondering if anyone has any constructive feedback to add before I spend any more time writing this up and/or thinking about it. I have finals to study for. :)

You will have a difficult time proving Rand has talent as a Dreamer. It's possible that he might have some latent/small talent as a Dreamwalker. However, this doesn't preclude him from entering T'A'R in the flesh, but considering the Talent required by Perrin to do what he did, I'll be surprised if this is the plan with one book remaining. You could push LTT and his supposed knowledge in this area.

Also, I'm not following the line of logic that demonstrates the seals being weaker in TAR.

So yeah: Dreaming, Lack of TAR related Talent and Seals weaker in TAR are the weakest areas I can see.

Good luck!

Weird Harold
05-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Not only that, most of them are already broken -- in both the physical and metaphysical sense. IIRC, only two are still fragile but unbroken