PDA

View Full Version : So, thoughts on Post-Tarmon Gaidon?

Rand al'Fain
05-14-2011, 01:31 AM
As in, how the world will be shaped and all?

Figured I'd try and start things up with it being so dead lately.

Weird Harold
05-14-2011, 02:21 AM

Depends. How Long after T'G?

Immediately after T'G, 99.999% of the world's population isn't going to notice any change at all.

Over the next year to ten years, the lingering battles will die out, the borders will be redrawn and the crops will thrive.

After about a century, Loial will finally finish his history of the Dragon Reborn and scholars will try to pin down exactly when and what T''G consisted of and announce a new calendar.

Nicola's foretelling probably says it best: "The great battle done, but the world not done with battles.

Rand al'Fain
05-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Depends. How Long after T'G?

Immediately after T'G, 99.999% of the world's population isn't going to notice any change at all.

Over the next year to ten years, the lingering battles will die out, the borders will be redrawn and the crops will thrive.

After about a century, Loial will finally finish his history of the Dragon Reborn and scholars will try to pin down exactly when and what T''G consisted of and announce a new calendar.

Nicola's foretelling probably says it best: "The great battle done, but the world not done with battles.
I meant within the next few years or so. Like what happens with the Aiel, the channelers, the Two Rivers, the taveren, etc... That kind of thing. Just for kicks to get some life back in this forum.

Lightning
05-14-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't think there will be any new borders drawn. I think of the post TG world in categories of areas and people pretty much as they are now. My assumptions are based on a world where the Dragon is either dead or leads a very retired/reclusive life (the discussion isn't about him. I am assuming that if he lives he'll take himself out of the political picture).

The Aiel: those who want to continue being warriors return to the three fold land and live as before, although they will have some changes in the chief/ WO selection. And those who think that they have paid their dept and performed the duty that the waste prepared them for will find a place to live and carve out a new way to follow ji e toh. Possibly they'll end up in some mountains or plains that are not part of any country or something.

The borderlands: will pretty much be the same except the blight is going to retreat and there won't really be any more trollocs, so they'll end up getting fat and happy and the areas that used to be forts and stuff will get surrounded by farmlands and stuff. The only exception is Malkier which will need time to heal and recover. But Nynaeve's dream of the future (accepted test) is entirely possible.

Seanchan: well this is a tough one. It really depends on how they come into play at the last battle and how they cope with the whole damane issue. For the sake of this discussion I will assume that somehow they learned to cope and make nice with every one. In which case they are still a powerful and organized people. They will hold on to the lands hey have conquered. Tuon will probably want to gain strength and go back and retake the seanchan before completing the job in the westlands. She realizes that she can't fight every one without the backing of the motherland.

The other countries: Andor, Tear, Caihrien, Arad Domon etc. will pretty much chug along as before except they will have less darkfriends and more chubby happy common people.

Children of the light: will probably relocate to Mayen and under Galad's influence and their experience at the last battle get back to their roots and not be such hypocritical withch hunters.

Weird Harold
05-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't think there will be any new borders drawn. ...

The other countries: Andor, Tear, Caihrien, Arad Domon etc. will pretty much chug along as before ...

Andor and Cairhein are already being merged under Elayne's rule; The Seanchan are homogenizing half the continent into a single polity.

There may not be any 'new' borders drawn, but there is ample evidence that some will be erased, which amounts tot he same thing.

Zombie Sammael
05-15-2011, 07:03 AM
With regard to Borders, given what was said about the Blight not being part of this world one has to think that's an effect of the Dark One's presence, and will disappear once the Dark One is killed or "permanently" sealed once again. Therefore you should bear in mind that it's entirely possible there will be a continent-sized area opening up for exploration. It may be rather chilly, but that hasn't stopped people in the rest of the world.

We also already have one big clue in the quote that comes from "Greater Aravalon", which seems to me to be a pretty obvious conjunction of Arafel and Tar Valon, perhaps implying that a large nation will arise there.

Aviendha's prophecy also implies a large Seanchan conquest, but that vision is unlikely to come to pass.

Marie Curie 7
05-16-2011, 01:31 PM
We also already have one big clue in the quote that comes from "Greater Aravalon", which seems to me to be a pretty obvious conjunction of Arafel and Tar Valon, perhaps implying that a large nation will arise there.

The region referred to is actually "Great Arvalon", not "Greater Aravalon", so it's more like "Tar Valon" just lost its "T". This seems to be suggestive of a naming progression from "Tar Valon" --> "Arvalon" --> "Avalon" in order to link the happenings in the Third Age with the present day Arthurian legends. That doesn't mean there won't be some redrawing of borders involved in the evolution of the name, of course, just that I think the primary reason RJ used "Arvalon" was to point towards the Arthurian stuff.

Davian93
05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
The region referred to is actually "Great Arvalon", not "Greater Aravalon", so it's more like "Tar Valon" just lost its "T". This seems to be suggestive of a naming progression from "Tar Valon" --> "Arvalon" --> "Avalon" in order to link the happenings in the Third Age with the present day Arthurian legends. That doesn't mean there won't be some redrawing of borders involved in the evolution of the name, of course, just that I think the primary reason RJ used "Arvalon" was to point towards the Arthurian stuff.

I agree that this explanation makes more sense than the other offered.

Crispin's Crispian
05-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Are you sure? I'm at work, and don't have LoC in front of me, but I'm almost 100% certain that it was "Greater Aravalon."

WoT FAQ (ftp://linuxmafia.com/jordan/WHFAQ/4_prophecy/4.07_4th-age.html) and Encyclopaedia WoT (http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/) agree with me, but I normally bow to your quote fu.

ETA: Damn...that's confusing. The e-book says "Arvalon."

http://books.google.com/books/reader?id=owkKhVCq6f0C&dq=%22lord%20of%20chaos%22&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&source=gbs_atb&pg=GBS.PA11

Terez
05-16-2011, 05:16 PM
It's Arvalon.

Crispin's Crispian
05-16-2011, 05:16 PM
It's Arvalon.

cross post--see my edit above. I wonder why so many of us thought it was the other way 'round.

Terez
05-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Probably because of Avalon.

Zombie Sammael
05-16-2011, 07:38 PM
My copy of LOC makes it "Aravalon". But it's the UK edition. Which obviously makes it better.

I'm not surprised there's some confusion about this, I've heard some early editions made it just plain "Greater Avalon". Sounds like RJ flip-flopped. If it were meant to be "Aravalon", Arafel being the nation directly to the North of Tar Valon, then my explanation would make sense.

Kimon
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
My copy of LOC makes it "Aravalon". But it's the UK edition. Which obviously makes it better.

I'm not surprised there's some confusion about this, I've heard some early editions made it just plain "Greater Avalon". Sounds like RJ flip-flopped. If it were meant to be "Aravalon", Arafel being the nation directly to the North of Tar Valon, then my explanation would make sense.

How many variations of this did they go through? My edition, a domestic (US) paperback, has it as "Great Aravalon".

looqas
05-17-2011, 03:51 AM
I think White Tower will merge with Black Tower through marriages and we are going to see first channeler + channeler kids. And we see the first re-institutionalizing of Hall of Servants. It's either the Oath Rod or HoS kind of thing to keep the channelers from becoming too powerful for their own good.

FelixPax
05-20-2011, 07:20 AM

Mat Cauthon will play a doubled up "stork".

Cauthon will take the credit & blame for the breaking... al'Thor will be removed from almost all the 'histories', barring Loial's book among others.

How will the world be shaped?

Technically, the world will be "re-imagined" completely by Nynaeve al'Meara among others.

"The Court of the Sun" should not be re-created in what is currently Tar Valon, Caemlyn, Ebon Dar, Cairhien, Tear et la.

Where will the Court of the Sun be located?

Maerone. (Prediction)

Why? Because Maerone is Mat Cauthon's type of town, for one reason. It's a town unbound by loyalties to either Andor, Cairhien, Tear or the Seanchan Empire. Maerone is a place where the Band of Red Hand can call home, be respected, and retain independent of thought.

Additionally, there are prior historical linkages between Mat Cauthon's soul to the broader area surrounding Maerone.