PDA

View Full Version : Ter'angreal and their true purposes

Edynol
05-15-2011, 09:24 AM
We all know that the AS of the WT aren't sure of the true purpose of most ter'angreal. I'm hoping that in AMoL we will get to see some of their true uses discovered, maybe Rand will know. But what do think some of the ter'angreal were really made for? Here are some of my own ideas.

The one that makes Warder cloaks - I'm thinking it could be used to make power wrought weapons or armor, but when the Three oaths came to be, the knowledge was eventually forgotten and lost.

The oath rod - I think it can be used to counter the 13x13 transformation. As was pointed out by Eggy, the sitters in the tower during the split used it to make people do what they wanted, which was pretty much the same as compulsion, except that it didn't change the victim's mind like the weave, but basically physically made them do what was commanded.

And from what we know of the 13x13 transformation, it is basically the same thing, like the DO's own form of compulsion, not really changing their minds, but binding them to serve the DO despite what they want. So what if the oath rod, if used in a linked circle, can undo the 13x13 by countering the dark weaves?

The one Aviendha says requires a song to activate - I think it could be used so humans can tree-sing like the ogier and I think will serve to help the Tinkers find the Song and reuniting the Aiel with the Tuatha'an, bringing the Aiel back to the Leaf and preventing the future Avi saw.

If yall have any other ideas about what other ter'angreal might do, please share them. :)

Enigma
05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
We all know that the AS of the WT aren't sure of the true purpose of most ter'angreal. I'm hoping that in AMoL we will get to see some of their true uses discovered, maybe Rand will know. But what do think some of the ter'angreal were really made for? Here are some of my own ideas.

The one that makes Warder cloaks - I'm thinking it could be used to make power wrought weapons or armor, but when the Three oaths came to be, the knowledge was eventually forgotten and lost.

On the other hand it might simply have been made to make camoflage that the Aes Sedai now just use for Warder cloaks when they could use to make full sets of clothing.

The oath rod - I think it can be used to counter the 13x13 transformation. As was pointed out by Eggy, the sitters in the tower during the split used it to make people do what they wanted, which was pretty much the same as compulsion, except that it didn't change the victim's mind like the weave, but basically physically made them do what was commanded.

And from what we know of the 13x13 transformation, it is basically the same thing, like the DO's own form of compulsion, not really changing their minds, but binding them to serve the DO despite what they want. So what if the oath rod, if used in a linked circle, can undo the 13x13 by countering the dark weaves?

RJ dealt with this during various Q & A and he said that the twisting does effect the mind as the more selfish traits come to the forefront while more altuistic characteristics get suppressed.

The oath rod was originally a binder, one of many used to bind channeling criminals in the AoL against repete offences. Semirhage was offered the choice of binding on such an oath rod against inflicting unnecessary pain or to be severed before she ran to the DO.

A bound channeler who has been turned by a dark circle would be forced to follow what ever oaths were sworn but it would not bring them back to the light. Under the oaths they would still be pretty unpleasant.

The one Aviendha says requires a song to activate - I think it could be used so humans can tree-sing like the ogier and I think will serve to help the Tinkers find the Song and reuniting the Aiel with the Tuatha'an, bringing the Aiel back to the Leaf and preventing the future Avi saw.

There was some speculation that this was a talisman of growing that the male AS gave to the oiger during the breaking to grow the Ways in payment for sheltering them in the Stedding.

Weird Harold
05-15-2011, 01:48 PM

:confused:
Why would you expect a power-loom to be convertable to a forge?

One of the Forsaken made a comment about the ter'angreal that makes Fancloth, but I haven't been able to turn it up on just a quick search. The proper name was "extruder" or something similar, implying that it makes synthetic fabrics and only fabrics -- Essentially a power loom or plastic press.

Marie Curie 7
05-15-2011, 02:40 PM
One of the Forsaken made a comment about the ter'angreal that makes Fancloth, but I haven't been able to turn it up on just a quick search. The proper name was "extruder" or something similar, implying that it makes synthetic fabrics and only fabrics -- Essentially a power loom or plastic press.

We know that fancloth was made during the Age of Legends for fashion garments, just like streith, per the BWB:

TITLE: BWB
CHAPTER: 3 - The Age of Legends

While many fabrics primarily contained natural fibers, some fabrics like streith and fancloth were entirely artificial. Streith was a shimmering material, usually white, that changed color and opacity to match the mood of the wearer. Fancloth created a camouflage effect, able to duplicate its surroundings so faithfully as to make the wearer seem invisible. Both were used in high-fashion garments. These fabrics exist today, but are quite rare, and fancloth, at least, is used for far more practical applications.

Later, during the War of Power, fancloth was first employed for use in camouflage garments for battle.

Weird Harold
05-15-2011, 08:56 PM
We know that fancloth was made during the Age of Legends for fashion garments, just like streith, per the BWB:

Yeah, I found that reference to both, but the one I couldn't find was an implication that they could be made by the same ter'angreal -- an implication that the one in the WT basement could be reset to make something 'fashionable' other than fancloth.

But for the purpose of this thread, mostly an implication that the ter'angreal that makes fancloth only makes synthetic fabrics and isn't a general purpose Star Trek style "replicator" that can make virtually anything that will fit through the delivery port.

Marie Curie 7
05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I found that reference to both, but the one I couldn't find was an implication that they could be made by the same ter'angreal -- an implication that the one in the WT basement could be reset to make something 'fashionable' other than fancloth.

But for the purpose of this thread, mostly an implication that the ter'angreal that makes fancloth only makes synthetic fabrics and isn't a general purpose Star Trek style "replicator" that can make virtually anything that will fit through the delivery port.

Well, my point was that since we know that fancloth was made in the Age of Legends, the ter'angreal that does it is indeed being used for its original purpose (in contrast to the OP), albeit only to make Warder cloaks rather than high fashion garments.

And the notion that fancloth is made by a ter'angreal in the White Tower is from the BWB (or at least, that's the only place that I find it mentioned):

TITLE: BWB
CHAPTER: 3 - The Age of Legends

Fancloaks, made of fancloth, are one of the finest examples of modern practicality deriving from ancient fashion. Designed to cover the wearer from head to foot, these cloaks create an almost perfect camouflage. Because of the difficulty in obtaining fancloth today, it is exclusively reserved for use by the warders of the Aes Sedai. It is believed to be manufactured in the White Tower by use of a ter'angreal.

nameless
05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
I think either tGR or tDR has mention of this ter'angreal during the Supergirls' introduction to the White Tower. Either Anaiya or Siuan or one of the other "teacher" figures is lecturing them about ter'angreal and mentions that no one's ever been able to make that one do anything other than manufacture Warder cloaks.

Davian93
05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Why would you expect a power-loom to be convertable to a forge?

"Here's you problem, sir...the damn thing's set on 'camouflage' again instead of 'sword'. All good now!"

Weird Harold
05-17-2011, 02:44 AM
Well, my point was that since we know that fancloth was made in the Age of Legends, the ter'angreal that does it is indeed being used for its original purpose (in contrast to the OP), albeit only to make Warder cloaks rather than high fashion garments.

I wasn't looking at that particular perspective. I was looking at the absurdity of expecting something salvaged from some high fashion clothiers to perform like it had been salvaged from a foundry.

Athough I suppose having a Gucci Sword might have been an AOL status symbol.