PDA

View Full Version : Wise or Weird?

Brita
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Lottery Secret (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/07/29/bc-lottery-winner-secret-dushop.html)

I don't know- a little time of reflection seems wise, but a whole year? And all he came up with in that year is a vacation plan and then going back to work? Surely he planned a little more than that...

Zaela Sedai
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Thats pretty cool!

Cary Sedai
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Can I pick both? I mean he's right, it is pretty big. Just rushing off and collecting millions could go right to your head. But a whole year!? I wonder what sign he is....

Brita
07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I wonder what sign he is....

Ah, the classic pick-up line. Are you looking to scoop him up Cary? He isn't married and now has over 3 million dollars to his name... :p

Crispin's Crispian
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Ah, the classic pick-up line. Are you looking to scoop him up Cary? He isn't married and now has over 3 million dollars to his name... :p
Yeah, but it will take him at least a year just to decide whether to propose.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd tell Bryan, obviously, but I certainly wouldn't keep working. And I'm not sure about the extended family.

ShadowbaneX
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
if I won the lottery I'd throw a party for TL. I might even invite some people. :D

Davian93
07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
if I won the lottery I'd throw a party for TL. I might even invite some people. :D

I wouldn't tell a soul other than my fiance...And I'd wait so I could set up a way to claim the money without splashing my name everywhere....too many crazies show up when they hear you've won the lottery...it can get scary, I hear.

Brita
07-29-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm really fun SBX! Invite me! Invite me!

ShadowbaneX
07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I said if I won...I still need to do that first.

Ishara
07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Something similar to this happened in the last couple of years in Ontario. A guy won, didn't cash in, divorced his wife (and left his kids), quit his job and then claimed the prize two days before it expired. Bastardo.

Brita
07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
SBX Said: I said if I won...I still need to do that first.

Bah! It's time we had an Ontario TL get together anyway. I'll be in Toronto Sep 12....:D

Davian93
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Something similar to this happened in the last couple of years in Ontario. A guy won, didn't cash in, divorced his wife (and left his kids), quit his job and then claimed the prize two days before it expired. Bastardo.

Odds are she'd still get half the money as it would be based on the time the ticket was bought/came up a winner. Nice try though.

Ivhon
07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
When I win (I buy 1 ticket when the jackpot is $120mil +) I will be doing the following:

51% goes to the establishment and endowment of a charitable foundation in my name. I will manage it (with help, of course) and that will be my new job.

$1 mil each to our siblings (3) $900k of which is to be held in trust until their 35th birthday. $100k each to be paid immediately (have a starving artist sister-in-law, that would help).

$500k to each of our parents (3) so they can live comfortably for the rest of their golden years.

The rest... well. It seems like it is a HELL of a good time to be buying real estate right now or in a few months from now (cosidering someone won Megamillions last week while I was driving my father-in-law to the stupid Alamo...).

And I will claim those winnings lump-sum immediately. Not risking a fire or a flood destroying the winning ticket.

ShadowbaneX
07-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Bah! It's time we had an Ontario TL get together anyway. I'll be in Toronto Sep 12....:D
that's nice, but I avoid Toronto like the plague. If you're ever in Ottawa look me up. Given some time, I might be able to make Kingston...

Brita
07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
And Ishara has to come too!

I'm never in Kinston or Ottawa :( - work takes me to Toronto once a month. If I catch the late flight home I have about 5 hours of free time after my meeting. Don't know if I can get to Kingston, visit and back in 5 hours.

Ishara
07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
To and from K-town in 5 hours? Ha. Nope. Not possible.

But TO I could TOTALLY do! The 12th is a Friday, so let's do dinner?

Brita
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I have to look into changing my flight (right now I have it booked for an early afternoon return)- I might not be able to without a significant fee.

If I can't change it for Sept- what about Oct 10? I haven't booked my flights yet for that date, and I'll be sure to book a late flight.

And that will give SBX lots of time to seriously consider joining us (his adversity to Toronto be damned!) and anyone else that's close by.

Cary Sedai
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Nope, I got me a sweetie. Found him right here at TL! :D

I just wondered his sign, 'cause not only am I book geek, I'm an astrology geek, and, actually, I'm pretty geeky about all my interests... :p

Ishara
07-30-2008, 07:20 AM
I hate not being in the loop. I suffer from missingoutitis.

October 10 is fine for me as well, aside from the fact that it's the Friday of the Thanksgiving Long Weekend. You're cool with that?

Davian93
07-30-2008, 07:30 AM
October 10 is fine for me as well, aside from the fact that it's the Friday of the Thanksgiving Long Weekend. You're cool with that?

Thanksgiving is in November Silly! ;)

Canadians can't get anything right....Jeesh!

Ishara
07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Nah. :p See, we celebrate our Thanksgiving (of the harvest) around the actual time of harvest. Silly Americans celebrating in the winter...

Brita
07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
LOL @ Dav and Ishara! Ya- I am OK with it being Thanksgiving Weekend, I'll be there anyway.

I'll start a thread in TL News & Stuff- so we can make plans there when the time gets closer.

Woohoo! It will be so much fun!

Davian93
07-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Nah. :p See, we celebrate our Thanksgiving (of the harvest) around the actual time of harvest. Silly Americans celebrating in the winter...

~scratches head~

What in the world does thanksgiving have to do with the Harvest? Thanksgiving is about stealing corn (which the injuns call Maize) from the Indians...or was it deer? Anyway the Wampanoag brought something to a dinner in Mass and were then brutally slaughtered a few years later and/or given smallpox for their trouble...thus a tradition is born. ;)

tanaww
07-30-2008, 09:27 AM
~scratches head~

What in the world does thanksgiving have to do with the Harvest? Thanksgiving is about stealing corn (which the injuns call Maize) from the Indians...or was it deer? Anyway the Wampanoag brought something to a dinner in Mass and were then brutally slaughtered a few years later and/or given smallpox for their trouble...thus a tradition is born. ;)

Davian, I'd beg to differ but I don't beg. Thanksgiving is about watching football and eating too much. That's the entire history of the holiday. Someone created all that other fiction to make it appear legitimate. And it's in November so we can all be thankful that NASCAR season is over. Canadia doesn't have football so they had to come up with something else. Having their thanksgiving earlier is just an attempt to get ahead of us. All this will end when I am President and Canadia is invaded.

Zaela Sedai
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
mama, you're mean

jason wolfbrother
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
LOL and here I thought it was about giving thanks for surviving in the New World. guess it just goes to show what a private edumacashan can do for ya ;) lol

JSUCamel
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I second the Canadia invasion. They suck at all things except toilet making.

Brita
07-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I second the Canadia invasion. They suck at all things except toilet making.

What the deuce! Camel- are you looking for a spanking? 'Cause you deserve one right now...

Cary Sedai
07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
What the deuce! Camel- are you looking for a spanking? 'Cause you deserve one right now...

Camel's always looking for a spanking! ;) :p

Gilshalos Sedai
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Brita, use the conventions board.

Davian93
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM
are you looking for a spanking? 'Cause you deserve one right now...

Are spankings on the menu for today?

This could get interesting.

Brita
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Brita, use the conventions board.

For spanking? OK...but that's a little deviant don't you think?

Actually- I must not have access to the board- I looked for it but it's not on my list- unless I'm missing something...

Gilshalos Sedai
07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Hmm, you're right, it IS gone. Wierd.

Ishara
07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Dude, we do too have football! It's just different in ways I don't quite understand...downs, field size, time...stuff.

My step-dad's a CFL referree, so I know the league exists...it's just crappy. ;)

tanaww
07-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Dude, last I checked, I wasn't a dude.

CFL = Comedic Football League ;)

(I love you, Tal)