PDA

View Full Version : LA Quake

Crispin's Crispian
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Major quake shakes downtown Los Angeles (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2935724120080729)

Please check in if you live down there.... :eek:

Terez
07-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Isn't Snow the only one in LA? Snow might work in downtown LA. :(

Brita
07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Yikes! It sounds like the buildings held and there was no major damage- so hopefully Snow is OK!

Scary though- with general agreement that a major earthquake is inevitable for that region....

Davian93
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
It was only in the 5's on the Richter scale...not to trivialize things...it could have been ALOT worse.

John Snow
07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
all is well, but I certainly felt it. I work in Pasadena, but I was home for lunch in Altadena. Ground rolling feeling, rumbling, rattling, wind chimes chiming, cats freaking - me too, for that matter. My wife called from downtown - she was on the phone with someone from Costa Mesa, and both of them felt it pretty well. The center was in Diamond Bar, a half hour drive or so east of here. We're kind of crossing our fingers, because there is some chance of a second, bigger temblor, but there've been a batch of small aftershocks, so probably not. No damage in this area, and no structural damage even in Diamond Bar. When I came back into my office one of my desk drawers was open, and that's it.

Oh, and my daughter's ambulance company pages aren't serious - just of the "is everyone ok?" sort of thing. And they're centered around Santa Fe Springs, which is close to the center of the quake. Thanks for the concern - looks like we're ok.

Brita
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
~~~big sigh of relief~~~

Since you are confirmed OK: HOW EXCITING! I kinda wish I could experience an earthquake...

Gilshalos Sedai
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't. Somebody tell the earth to be still while I'm visiting Cali this weekend, please.

Terez
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Since you are confirmed OK: HOW EXCITING! I kinda wish I could experience an earthquake...
And people wonder why I decided to stay in Gulfport for Hurricane Katrina. :D

Good to hear you're okay, Snow.

John Snow
07-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Yes, well, if you know for sure it isn't going to get any worse, I guess it's exciting. It's the wondering about how much more it will shake that raises the adrenaline.......

tworiverswoman
07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
BRITA! Haven't you ever heard the phrase "be careful what you wish for?"

I'm glad everyone is ok, Professor. Quakes are unnerving at best. When they first begin, all you can think is "MAN, that's a big truck going by..."

A few seconds later, it's "A big, LOUD truck..."

It doesn't take long for the penney to drop and you start saying things like, "*F***C*K*!!!!*"

I would say something about the foolishness of people living in the center of an area that EVERYONE knows is going to drop off into the Pacific Ocean, but then I look east at my live volcanoes and shut up.;)

Birgitte
07-29-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm glad everyone's okay and I'm with you, Brita. It'd be neat. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where they happened, but I wouldn't mind if it happened while I was visiting.

It doesn't take long for the penney to drop and you start saying things like, "*F***C*K*!!!!*"

And Tru has weird swear words.

Terez
07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I would say something about the foolishness of people living in the center of an area that EVERYONE knows is going to drop off into the Pacific Ocean, but then I look east at my live volcanoes and shut up.;)
Your volcanoes are harmless. They spew all the time, so there's no significant pressure built up in them, and it's basaltic lava so it moves slow enough that you can get out of the way of it pretty easy. :D

JSUCamel
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
As terrifying as it must have been, this video's pretty funny. Look at her face!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/07/29/vo.quake.judge.judy.cnn (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/07/29/vo.quake.judge.judy.cnn)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
LOL, I think I'd be more worried about how secure those heavy-looking lights might be.

Zaela Sedai
07-30-2008, 08:29 AM
her reaction was so delayed... LOL

Gilshalos Sedai
07-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Well, I think it was more a matter of that when it didn't stop right away, then it was time to be concerned. You could tell she was waiting for it to stop, but when it didn't that's when she reacted.

Crispin's Crispian
07-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I coulda sworn we had more people in LA. Where's JWB?

I talked to a co-worker of mine last night who lives in LA. She was on one side of Chino Hills and her husband was on the other, apparently they both thought it was pretty big. She said her "built-in" office furniture started moving around the room, which freaked her out.

I'm glad you're OK, Professor.

Davian93
07-30-2008, 09:19 AM
We had an earthquake in the 4s in Vermont a few months back but I didn't feel anything as it was too far underground or something. It was a big deal around here as we almost never get quakes...though there are a couple of very minor faults in the region.

Brita
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
And people wonder why I decided to stay in Gulfport for Hurricane Katrina. :D

I most certainly would have stayed! I am a bit of a storm junkie. We don't get much here- but we do get some significant thunder storms, and of course blizzards. When I see a Severe Weather Warning for our area, it's like Christmas in July! (or Christmas in December if it's a blizzard)

I admit I have become a touch more cautious as I get older- but I will still be the one standing outside in the rain to watch the lightning and thunder roll by.

Crispin's Crispian
07-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I most certainly would have stayed! I am a bit of a storm junkie. We don't get much here- but we do get some significant thunder storms, and of course blizzards. When I see a Severe Weather Warning for our area, it's like Christmas in July! (or Christmas in December if it's a blizzard)

I admit I have become a touch more cautious as I get older- but I will still be the one standing outside in the rain to watch the lightning and thunder roll by.

Funny. My FIL says he's giving it one more chance. If there's another major storm he's going to leave the GC for good.

And I know for certain he wouldn't stay again. He's mentioned a few times that the storm itself wasn't the worst part, it was the weeks afterward with little or no food, power, gas, fresh water, shelter, etc. Of course, if he'd stayed in his house like he had originally planned to do, he'd be dead.

jason wolfbrother
07-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm further north SDog :) Smack dab in the middle of the Central Valley ;) I heard about the quake this morning on the news but it didn't make it this far north. Glad to hear you are OK Professor :)

Cary Sedai
07-30-2008, 01:18 PM

Me, too! :D I grew up on a farm in Indiana, and we would watch tornadoes from the back yard, out across the fields. If they got too close we went down into the cellar...but we were allowed to watch if they stayed far off. My moms boyfriend was a paramedic and sometiems we'd drive toward the tornadoes. Just in case he was needed. Now, of course Indiana is FLAT, at least where I'm from. So, we could see them miles and miles off.

Terez
07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Funny. My FIL says he's giving it one more chance. If there's another major storm he's going to leave the GC for good.

And I know for certain he wouldn't stay again. He's mentioned a few times that the storm itself wasn't the worst part, it was the weeks afterward with little or no food, power, gas, fresh water, shelter, etc. Of course, if he'd stayed in his house like he had originally planned to do, he'd be dead.
He might have swam out, but yeah, you're probably right. I know several people that swam out and made it, though. One of my mom's friends stayed on the beach because her mother (who is about 80) didn't want to leave, and she ended up having to swim out carrying her mother. It's amazing they both made it.

Yes, the worst part for most of us was the weeks after. I will stay next time, but I will make sure I have a full tank of gas so I can hightail it out of there the next day to somewhere that has power. :)

Crispin's Crispian
07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
He might have swam out, but yeah, you're probably right. I know several people that swam out and made it, though. One of my mom's friends stayed on the beach because her mother (who is about 80) didn't want to leave, and she ended up having to swim out carrying her mother. It's amazing they both made it.

One of my FIL's friends swam out, and made national headlines (Brian Molliere (sp)). I think his mom was also trapped at her house but died during the storm. He might have been swimming out to find her, I don't remember.

Keith did have to swim to the highway from Bayou La Croix, though, so I guess it wasn't out of the picture.

Terez
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, but swimming through storm surge in a hurricane is no joke. The waves are high, the undertow is wretched, there's dangerous stuff flying around in the air, and dangerous stuff moving through the water itself at crazy speeds. I didn't know anyone who died trying to swim out, but I've heard tons of people did, and it's easy to see why.

Which is why I did NOT stay at my mom's house during the storm.

Crispin's Crispian
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, but swimming through storm surge in a hurricane is no joke. The waves are high, the undertow is wretched, there's dangerous stuff flying around in the air, and dangerous stuff moving through the water itself at crazy speeds. I didn't know anyone who died trying to swim out, but I've heard tons of people did, and it's easy to see why.

That's very true. Or, I think it would be, not having experienced it.

Terez
07-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, obviously I haven't experienced it either, and I don't plan to. That's going a little bit far. I enjoyed being here during the storm, because crazy freaks of nature like that are fascinating to observe, and because of the danger element of course. But I wouldn't have actually wanted to be in any real danger of dying. I knew there was a fair chance we would get a tornado where I was staying, but tornadoes don't usually touch down for long when they're a part of a hurricane, so it was a pretty small risk.