PDA

View Full Version : Will Morridin pull an Ingtar?

The Unreasoner
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
The examples of the interconnectedness of Rand and Morridin are numerous and have been listed elsewhere. I will focus on one

On Dragonmount in TAR Rand wears a Myrdraalesque coat in the colors of the Nae'blis, and is being consumed by fatalism and despair in both worlds. But at the last moment he is filled with hope strong enough to overwhelm the negative thoughts, and it is reflected in both worlds.

Morridin feels anger at Semmirhage, is reluctant to order Rand's death, and has problems with his hand. Since I do not believe we have seen Morridin post Dragonmount, is it possible he feels some of this fatalism-conquering hope as well?

I do not think that this contradicts the Rand taking Morridin's body theory, and it will give Demandred an interesting storyline when he questions the Nae'blis's intentions. Not to mention tying in quite nicely with some of my other theories in the back of my mind.

I understand this isn't particularly likely, and I predict some people hating on it, but I have seen factions made for less and would start one of my own if I knew how.

Lapine Imperator
06-02-2011, 01:33 AM
If Rand can go over some turnings of the Wheel, why not Morridin I guess? Rand is pretty strong with the messianic themes right now, maybe some redemption for Morri.

sandoz12
06-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah maybe Moridin will flip his logic around and instead of being convinced that its a matter of time before the Dark One triumphs, that the Dragon Reborn could in fact triumph defeating the Dark One permanently rather than in just one age.

He would have to be sure though that Rand will be defeating the Dark One for all time. If it's only a victory for this age then he has no point in switching sides.

I don't really think it's likely to happen but I've certainly seen worse theories and it could well be possible.

The Unreasoner
06-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Hell, greater than zero works for me. Although I do think this will be the final victory for the light.

sandoz12
06-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Hell, greater than zero works for me. Although I do think this will be the final victory for the light.
Greater than zero might work for you but for Moridin I think P > 0.95 would be required. Otherwise he will just watch possibly end up on the sidelines and pick a winner at the end. If it at all looks like Rand will win in this age but the victory will not be eternal he will simply stick with the Dark One knowing that it's only a matter of time before the Dark One triumphs in one age.

Really I think Moridin's position is the most logical.

The Unreasoner
06-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Haha. I am a mathematician. I will save statistics for others. But with Mat's luck, .001 is good odds. And I do at least hope Morridin will have a change of heart, and I am at least moderately confident that this will be the final victory of the light. This seems to be a moderately plausible way for this to happen.

sandoz12
06-02-2011, 02:59 AM
Haha. I am a mathematician. I will save statistics for others. But with Mat's luck, .001 is good odds. And I do at least hope Morridin will have a change of heart, and I am at least moderately confident that this will be the final victory of the light. This seems to be a moderately plausible way for this to happen.

And I am a keen statistician whose maths is far more limited:)

Remember though with Mat's luck that there is something in him 'having the Dark One's own luck'.

I too hope Moridin will have a change of heart but wouldn't count on it.

I am not so certain that this will be a final victory for the light. I think it may well just be that the light triumphs for this age, Rand does what is required and reseals the bore (he will think properly) but really there will come another turning of the wheel needing yet another Dragon to save the world. I may be wrong but that is actually what I would prefer as to me one of the series themes is that there are no final ends or first beginnings but there are specific beginnings and specific endings.

I just think it would leave the series on a nicer note to know that there will be another turning of the wheel and it will happen again sometime in the future. Rand will have done his job if he can re-seal the bore without breaking the world this time so the world can continue to progress without being sent back in time.