PDA

View Full Version : AMoL Prologue- what are you hoping for?

neurotopia
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Personally I'm hoping BS goes with a first person account of the strike at SG, so we can see exactly what happened there and maybe get some hints/distractions/false leads/other fun stuff for the rest of the book.

Barring that, a past/present conversation comparison between the 100 companions and Latra Posae's Posse/Rand's and Egwene's crews would be particularly kewl for turnings of the Wheel.

Thoughts?

Rand al'Fain
06-09-2011, 06:49 PM
A prologue about our heroes after TG, like Mat and Tuon going to Seandar to conquer those lands, Perrin and Faile (I actually like this relationship) possibly becoming the rulers of Saldea AND the Two Rivers, Eggy being forced to share ruler of all channelers with Logain, Rand kicking it back and relaxing in the Two Rivers with Min and Aviendha, and all their kids, Galad and Berelain getting hitched, Elayne FINALLY wising up about traps, and Moiraine and Thom travelling the lands or settling down in Andor somewhere.

sandoz12
06-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Showing people 1,000 years into the future drilling into the seal that Rand and co made. That would be just perfect to me:)

Plus the opening turned on its head 'There are no endings, but this was a ending."

looqas
06-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Are we talking about the prologue or epilogue here?

For prologue I don't want to read anything end-resulty or future stuff.

For prologue I'd like Mat to get his Horn from the White Tower, but I can't see that happening realistically since the battle of Caemlyn takes place before that.

Something happening with the Black Tower would be juicy.

sandoz12
06-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Are we talking about the prologue or epilogue here?

For prologue I don't want to read anything end-resulty or future stuff.

For prologue I'd like Mat to get his Horn from the White Tower, but I can't see that happening realistically since the battle of Caemlyn takes place before that.

Something happening with the Black Tower would be juicy.

I got confused by this seeing everyone else's comment and so my comment was about what I want to see in the epilogue, sorry.

For the prologue I too would like to see something about the Black Tower - maybe see someone being turned to the shadow.

Daekyras
06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
What i would like?

Lan's ride into battle at tarwins gap including a classic cliffhanger-to be resolved at the end of the fields of merrilor conclusion in the main book.

What i expect?

Not much action but more of the red veiled Aiel and a large portion involving Demandred-possibly even THE reveal. Unless the prologue is released early- THE reveal will be held back.

Moridin plotting in the background.

And, strangely enough, a scene involving travelling folk.

greatwolf
06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Certainly hope to see more, much more of the aol either in the prologue or elsewhere. It would be neat to see one of the remaining four forsaken actually live up to the top dog billing. Perhaps forsaken vs forsaken?

Rand al'Fain
06-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I meant mine as an epilogue.

For prologue, maybe Rand saving Lanfear? Just re-reading The Great Hunt, came to the part of the Dark Prophecy there, and it looks like Rand may save Lanfear.

Crispin's Crispian
06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
And, strangely enough, a scene involving travelling folk.
Do you mean the Tuatha'an? If so, I agree. The prologues and epilogues are often places where we get first-hand POVs of non-main societies/groups. In fact, I'd not be surprised to see POVs about the Jendai Prophecy from the Atha'an Miere, anything from the Tuatha'an, lots from the Ogier, etc.

I certainly don't expect any future flashback type views, but I guess that would be...interesting.

Davian93
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
I think the best epilogue would be a scene where Rand is shaken awake by Tam early on the morning of Winternight back in the Two Rivers where upon he realizes it was all just a dream. He goes to Emond's Field with Tam and their cart of brandy and cider and he marries Egwene living happily ever after having never left home.

Zombie Sammael
06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I think the best epilogue would be a scene where Rand is shaken awake by Tam early on the morning of Winternight back in the Two Rivers where upon he realizes it was all just a dream. He goes to Emond's Field with Tam and their cart of brandy and cider and he marries Egwene living happily ever after having never left home.

If by "best" you mean "worst possible ending to anything ever, outdoing Dark Tower by a long stretch" then I fully and heartily agree with you.

ShadowbaneX
06-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Only if it ends with a "I win again, Lews Therin."

Davian93
06-10-2011, 05:39 PM

Now that would actually be pretty cool.

Sarevok
06-10-2011, 05:45 PM

I have to agree with both Zombie and Dav here:
It would be totally awesome and horrible all at once, somehow. :o

Crispin's Crispian
06-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Oh I don't know. I think that could be topped if Rand went down into the Bore and found either:

(a) Moridin behind a curtain talking into a microphone that turns text into all CAPS, or

(b) ALIENS!!!!!

Rand al'Fain
06-10-2011, 07:43 PM
He wins because Rand has to marry Eggy instead of Gawyn. Poor guy.:(

Davian93
06-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh I don't know. I think that could be topped if Rand went down into the Bore and found either:

(a) Moridin behind a curtain talking into a microphone that turns text into all CAPS, or

(b) ALIENS!!!!!

Ahem, interdimensional beings...

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Kingdom-of-the-Crystal-Skulls-Top-Tenz.png

sandoz12
06-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I hope it doesn't end with some Lord of the Rings style ending where Rand and his harem will sail off to an island where they have everlasting life. That would just make me feel extremely sick.

GonzoTheGreat
06-11-2011, 04:38 AM
He wins because Rand has to marry Eggy instead of Gawyn. Poor guy.:(I'm not sure Rand would prefer having to marry Gawyn.

Zombie Sammael
06-11-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm not sure Rand would prefer having to marry Gawyn.

Why not? Gawyn is a blademaster. They could work the swords before, ahem, working the swords.

Davian93
06-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Why not? Gawyn is a blademaster. They could work the swords before, ahem, working the swords.

Mat might get jealous...afterall, he and Rand shared that extra special night in the hay pile on the road to Caemlyn where Rand got to see Mat's "Ruby Tipped Dagger"

GonzoTheGreat
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Mat might get jealous...afterall, he and Rand shared that extra special night in the hay pile on the road to Caemlyn where Rand got to see Mat's "Ruby Tipped Dagger"But that hasn't really happened in this "it was all a dream" scenario.

Zombie Sammael
06-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Mat might get jealous...afterall, he and Rand shared that extra special night in the hay pile on the road to Caemlyn where Rand got to see Mat's "Ruby Tipped Dagger"

I believe said Dagger was described as Ruby hilted, and that a single penetration from it would "kill" the pentratee. That may be "die" in the sense of Elizabethan poetry...

Davian93
06-11-2011, 04:47 PM
But that hasn't really happened in this "it was all a dream" scenario.

Yeah but why else do you think Rand, Perrin and Mat ran away to the Sand Hills "to explore". I think we all know that "Found a Snow Eagle Feather" is Two Rivers slang for gay orgy.

Zombie Sammael
06-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah but why else do you think Rand, Perrin and Mat ran away to the Sand Hills "to explore". I think we all know that "Found a Snow Eagle Feather" is Two Rivers slang for gay orgy.

It's not finding the Snow Eagle Feather, it's what you do with it once you've found it...

druidfire
06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
The one thing I am hopeing/expecting to see the the prologue is a Taim POV on whats happening in the Black Tower.

jana
06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
We'll probably get a PoV from Hunil Lodlur who is a half trolloc half eelfinn hermit in the northwestern corner of the blight, and it will take up 1/4 of the chapter. He'll be contemplating joining the Light because his life is unfulfilling. After that we'll never hear from him again, because that's the way of dreams. I mean WoT-Prologues.

I might have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I actually like WoT Prologues. But before the book comes out everyone is always expecting these great PoVs from their favorite characters that reveal all their secrets, and it's rarely ever that. Well, I suppose there was Graendal.

Now for my unrealistic wants: I want the entire Prologue to be Thom, Mat, and Moiraine chillin' out maxin' and relaxin' by the river.

FelixPax
06-12-2011, 04:48 PM
It's not finding the Snow Eagle Feather, it's what you do with it once you've found it...

Call the bird to return! ;)

sandoz12
06-13-2011, 02:06 AM
The one thing I am hopeing/expecting to see the the prologue is a Taim POV on whats happening in the Black Tower.

Same - for me it ideally would be showing him turning people to the shadow and maybe even taking orders from Demandred/Moridin. That would be cool.

missbee
06-13-2011, 04:52 AM
I'd like to see the original five from Two Rivers meeting up before they go off and save the world. Even if nothing momentous happens.
Oh, and perhaps Moiraine could turn up to chivvy them along.
Definitely the Tinkers, they must have some purpose in the book after all. At the very least I want to know what that message on the burnt out wagon was about
Maybe a quick PoV from Alanna, showing her in some dire situation.
And someone killing Danelle at the White Tower so her soul can be transmigrated.
Fortuona being introduced to the Wolf King by the Prince of Ravens while the Dragon stands by
Naeff arriving at the Black Tower,
Lan at the Gap...

I'll stop now...

GonzoTheGreat
06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Maybe Olver is Narg reborn.

Davian93
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Same - for me it ideally would be showing him turning people to the shadow and maybe even taking orders from Demandred/Moridin. That would be cool.

No, its when we find out that Moridin, Demandred and Taim are all the same person and always have been.

Mormandataim!!!

Terez
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
He's too...

...wait...

Daekyras
06-13-2011, 09:44 AM

No, Narg Smart.

Rand al'Fain
06-13-2011, 12:22 PM
No, Narg Smart.
And better looking.:p

Frenzy
06-25-2011, 03:01 PM
We'll probably get a PoV from Hunil Lodlur who is a half trolloc half eelfinn hermit in the northwestern corner of the blight, and it will take up 1/4 of the chapter. He'll be contemplating joining the Light because his life is unfulfilling. After that we'll never hear from him again, because that's the way of dreams. I mean WoT-Prologues.
This.

Now for my unrealistic wants: I want the entire Prologue to be Thom, Mat, and Moiraine chillin' out maxin' and relaxin' by the river.
not this.

Frenzy
06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
My expectations for aMoL are in the toilet. i've devoted over 20 years of my life reading these books, so all i'm hoping for is that it doesn't suck.

FelixPax
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM

How about a PoV from one vegetarian named Linuh Ruldol? Who is a half Trolloc, a quarter Domani, a quarter Giant; a city dweller originally from a polar ice cap!?! :eek: Who sick of Moridin ruining his people's lives?

He's willing to rebel if one of the Chosen will support his rebellion against Moridin and the Dark One. He misses Mierin's touch.... ;)

jana
06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
How about a PoV from one vegetarian named Linuh Ruldol? Who is a half Trolloc, a quarter Domani, a quarter Giant; a city dweller originally from a polar ice cap!?! :eek: Who sick of Moridin ruining his people's lives?

He's willing to rebel if one of the Chosen will support his rebellion against Moridin and the Dark One. He misses Mierin's touch.... ;)

I actually sort of liked one of your posts. You've ruined everything.

FelixPax
06-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I actually sort of liked one of your posts. You've ruined everything.

Ah, thanks...

Comedy relief with Linuh Ruldol.
He's a walking, talking clash of oppositions.
Bloody independent too.

Sei'taer
06-28-2011, 11:42 PM
My expectations for aMoL are in the toilet. i've devoted over 20 years of my life reading these books, so all i'm hoping for is that it doesn't suck.

This.

Toss the dice
06-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Another cool option for the epilogue, something similar to this:

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Fourth Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Misty Mountains. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Born below the ever cloud-capped peaks that gave the mountains their name, the wind blew east, out across vast hills of sand. Down it flailed into the nearby valley, into the thick forest called the Westwood, and beat at two men walking with a cart and horse down a small dirt path. For all that spring should have come a good month since, the wind carried an icy chill as if it would rather bear snow.

Gusts plastered Luke O'Neill's cloak to his back, whipped the earth-colored wool around his legs, then streamed it out behind him. He wished his coat were heavier, or that he had worn an extra shirt. Half the time when he tried to tug the cloak back around him it caught on the quiver swinging at his hip. Trying to hold the cloak one-handed did not do much good anyway; he had his bow in the other, an arrow nocked and ready to draw.

Sei'taer
06-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Another cool option for the epilogue, something similar to this:

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Fourth Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Misty Mountains. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Born below the ever cloud-capped peaks that gave the mountains their name, the wind blew east, out across vast hills of sand. Down it flailed into the nearby valley, into the thick forest called the Westwood, and beat at two men walking with a cart and horse down a small dirt path. For all that spring should have come a good month since, the wind carried an icy chill as if it would rather bear snow.

Gusts plastered Luke O'Neill's cloak to his back, whipped the earth-colored wool
around his legs, then streamed it out behind him. He wished his coat were heavier, or that he had worn an extra shirt. Half the time when he tried to tug the cloak back
around him it caught on the quiver swinging at his hip. Trying to hold the cloak one-handed did not do much good anyway; he had his bow in the other, an arrow
nocked and ready to draw.

I've been saying for years now that WoT would end like the Gunslinger series. I've always hoped it wouldn't be true. So this epilogue would Royally piss me off.

Toss the dice
06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I've been saying for years now that WoT would end like the Gunslinger series. I've always hoped it wouldn't be true. So this epilogue would Royally piss me off.

Never read Gunslinger.

I think it would be cool to have a similar passage to the first few paragraphs of chapter 1 of TEotW. Change the names of the places and the person and the descriptions of course, but leave all the rest the same. Would fit well with the Wheel of Time wheel concept. Maybe as a second epilogue though, rather than the epilogue itself. Almost like a preview of sorts, albeit one that will go unfulfilled.

Would sure beat Rand waking up and it was all a dream. :)

Sei'taer
06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Never read Gunslinger.

I think it would be cool to have a similar passage to the first few paragraphs of chapter 1 of TEotW. Change the names of the places and the person and the descriptions of course, but leave all the rest the same. Would fit well with the Wheel of Time wheel concept. Maybe as a second epilogue though, rather than the epilogue itself. Almost like a preview of sorts, albeit one that will go unfulfilled.

Would sure beat Rand waking up and it was all a dream. :)

It's actually the Dark Tower series by Steven King. I won't tell you how it ends, but it's exactly like you described above. I read 7 books over a long period of time (from 1985 or '86 until 2005 or so) and they were great, until the end.

the_collective
06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I won't tell you how it ends

Don't look now, but I believe you've done exactly that...

Terez
06-29-2011, 05:10 PM
I read through Wizard and Glass, and by the time he got around to writing the final three I had forgotten everything, and couldn't reread them to save my life. Couldn't get past The Gunslinger again - fuck that book was boring. And then with all this talk about the ending I decided not to bother.

PS - That sort of ending would make more sense with WoT, though. It's not as if he's saying the series shouldn't be resolved like we all expect it to be. Just that it would be cool to tack on at the end (as an epilogue) a glimpse of the next Turning of the Wheel, just to drive home the point of how it works.

Toss the dice
06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I read through Wizard and Glass, and by the time he got around to writing the final three I had forgotten everything, and couldn't reread them to save my life. Couldn't get past The Gunslinger again - fuck that book was boring. And then with all this talk about the ending I decided not to bother.

PS - That sort of ending would make more sense with WoT, though. It's not as if he's saying the series shouldn't be resolved like we all expect it to be. Just that it would be cool to tack on at the end (as an epilogue) a glimpse of the next Turning of the Wheel, just to drive home the point of how it works.

Exactly. The passage would have nothing to do with the current story, it would merely be a cool addon at the very end. IMO it would be fitting to have it on the last page following the epilogue, with a clear divider between. Unsure what the best name for that page would be though. It would need some sort of heading, rather than just a body of text. And I don't think titling it as the epilogue would look right. Maybe a simple graphic of the Wheel on top. Titling is as a prologue would be pretty cool, but that passage is very traditionally the beginning of chapter 1.

FelixPax
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

That would be a nice change from how two other similar works have done it:

Dallas (TV) -- Bobby's Shower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvinAPPfyAQ), Dream scene (huge USA tv ratings)
Mark Twain -- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (http://books.google.com/books?id=d2haAAAAMAAJ&dq=A%20Connecticut%20Yankee%20in%20King%20Arthur's %20Court&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false). (one of Twain's lesser known works)

I get the feel readers will learn how the Wheel operates, before the Epilogue's first page. Why?

Lan needs to be saved before that, imho.

From Illusion to Reality, at the speed of thought--dream.

Why do I want to see how WoT is after the Last Battle?

I'm very curious about Mat Cauthon's domestic living arrangement & situation.
Will Rand live out the rest of his days on an island near the equator? In a Stedding like place?
I'd like to see aspects of how can a world be shaped by a dream.

Mat's future domestic situation, reminds me, of aspects of Rahvin's prior situation in Caemlyn ironically enough--a man spread thin, with so many women.

Toss the dice
06-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Somewhere in AMoL I want to see an Ewin Finngar & company sighting. Preferably outside the Two Rivers (as in they didn't come back), but I'll take any kind of reveal.

sandoz12
06-30-2011, 03:57 AM

Yeah that's what I would like either as the epilogue or a type of postscript. As I mentioned it would be a nice ending if people were trying to undo the shield (or whatever Rand used) that holds the Dark One to release the latent energy inside not realising what they are doing.

That would just be beautiful to me. The other thing I would love (but just can't see happening) is for the last line to be "I win again, Lews Therin." Just think it would be really cool for a series that has lacked sufficient light-side deaths to throw everyone's expectations aside and have a bad guys winning ending.

FelixPax
06-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Somewhere in AMoL I want to see an Ewin Finngar & company sighting. Preferably outside the Two Rivers (as in they didn't come back), but I'll take any kind of reveal.

All I know is Ewin Finngar told Mat Cauthon & Rand, he was going to keep that silver penny. A silver penny with a bonding attached to it, by Moiraine.

“Do you think I should keep mine, too?” Anguished indecision painted Ewin’s face.

“Not unless you want to,” Mat said.

“I think she gave it to you to spend,” Rand said.

Ewin looked at his coin, then shook his head and stuffed the silver penny into his pocket. “I’ll keep it,” he said mournfully.

The Eye of the World, Chapter 2 "Strangers" -- Rand al'Thor point of view; with Ewin Finngar, Mat Cauthon, Perrin in Two Rivers

“Why south?” she asked Moiraine. “I heard you say one of the boys is across the river. And how do you know?”

“I gave each of the boys a token. It created a bond of sorts between them and me. So long as they are alive and have those coins in their possession, I will be able to find them.”

Nynaeve’s eyes turned in the direction the Warder had gone, and Moiraine shook her head. “Not like that. It only allows me to discover if they still live, and find them should we become separated. Prudent, do you not think, under the circumstances?”

The Eye of the World, Chapter 21 "Listen to the Wind" -- Nynaeve point of view; with Moiraine & Lan.

Ewin and the other young men left Two Rivers, some time before Moiraine met Lanfear on the docks of Cairhien.

Question is where would Moiraine want them to go? And why?

Zombie Sammael
06-30-2011, 10:51 AM
That would just be beautiful to me. The other thing I would love (but just can't see happening) is for the last line to be "I win again, Lews Therin." Just think it would be really cool for a series that has lacked sufficient light-side deaths to throw everyone's expectations aside and have a bad guys winning ending.

I don't think that should be the ending, but if there was an "I win again, Lews Therin" ending, just before Rand realises that since the actual world has been destroyed, the world of dreams is all that exists and the power of belief now makes him just as powerful as the Dark One, if not more, or something like that, would be cool.

jana
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
All I know is Ewin Finngar told Mat Cauthon & Rand, he was going to keep that silver penny. A silver penny with a bonding attached to it, by Moiraine.

There was actually an editing error regarding Ewin in Towers of Midnight. I confirmed it with my cat.

"I must find Ewin," Moiraine said. "He will need my help."

"I can see there are many tales I need to be told. But for now, we will need to seek out Ewin."

Toss the dice
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM

Everything you said about Ewin is moot Felix. Ewin's silvery penny didn't have a bonding attached to it. Moiraine didn't cup her hands over his when she pressed it into his hand. Moiraine already knew who she was looking for, she had already asked questions -- and Ewin wasn't it. He wasn't it by years.

You can't honestly tell me you believe the crap you write.

Sertii
07-02-2011, 06:19 AM
i hope that the prologue won't be about another random insignificant farmer we'll never see again, looking to the sky and saying something similar to "the LB is coming". There are just too many plot threads to be resolved for 50+ pages of book space to be wasted like that

Toss the dice
07-05-2011, 08:09 AM
i hope that the prologue won't be about another random insignificant farmer we'll never see again, looking to the sky and saying something similar to "the LB is coming". There are just too many plot threads to be resolved for 50+ pages of book space to be wasted like that

There are so many plot threads and individual issues that would SEEMINGLY either have to be resolved or very much should be resolved it is ridiculous. IMO the only chance in hell that a decent number of them are resolved (one way or another) is if AMoL had the format of an encyclopedia, with every passage devoted to resolving one or more plot threads.

Obviously, a good many things are not going to be resolved, and I am positive that there will be a good number of IMPORTANT things that get zero attention. In order to fulfill a decent amount of them, AMoL would have to be trash. Fulfilling many of the more minor plot threads as well seems to be flat impossible.

Since I first read TGS (the same week it came out), I've been disgusted at the book. Other than the very end, the whole book was a complete waste. Quite literally, it forced Sanderson to write the "last three books" in two. Because of this, the issue rolled into ToM, which IMO ended where TGS should have.

Now there is no way in hell that AMoL can be both a quality book and wrap up even a decent number of plot threads. There's a list somewhere on this forum, and it's goddamn frightening. The sheer amount of un-resolved plot threads that anyone would consider "important" is just crazy. The more minor ones aren't even an option.

Zombie Sammael
07-05-2011, 08:25 AM
There are so many plot threads and individual issues that would SEEMINGLY either have to be resolved or very much should be resolved it is ridiculous. IMO the only chance in hell that a decent number of them are resolved (one way or another) is if AMoL had the format of an encyclopedia, with every passage devoted to resolving one or more plot threads.

Obviously, a good many things are not going to be resolved, and I am positive that there will be a good number of IMPORTANT things that get zero attention. In order to fulfill a decent amount of them, AMoL would have to be trash. Fulfilling many of the more minor plot threads as well seems to be flat impossible.

Since I first read TGS (the same week it came out), I've been disgusted at the book. Other than the very end, the whole book was a complete waste. Quite literally, it forced Sanderson to write the "last three books" in two. Because of this, the issue rolled into ToM, which IMO ended where TGS should have.

Now there is no way in hell that AMoL can be both a quality book and wrap up even a decent number of plot threads. There's a list somewhere on this forum, and it's goddamn frightening. The sheer amount of un-resolved plot threads that anyone would consider "important" is just crazy. The more minor ones aren't even an option.

When you look at the list of unresolved plot threads each in isolation in a format such as a list, you will have that impression. However, hopefully TOM demonstrated that a number of the unresolved threads will actually tie together and resolve one another. I do think most of the plot threads will be resolved in this manner. I am only really worried about the Black Tower, which BS seems to be struggling to place.

I would hope that roughly one third of the book would be Black Tower and other details that need to be resolved, one third would be the Last Battle and other battles, and one third will be, essentially, epilogue.

jana
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
When you look at the list of unresolved plot threads each in isolation in a format such as a list, you will have that impression.

I agree. It kind of drives me crazy when I see those lists. I.E. - Tam needs to reunite with Rand! Rand needs to tell him about Min. Rand needs to put his right foot forward. He needs to put his left foot forward. How will this ever happen in one book?

Then the lists have every single prophecy we've ever heard about, even the ones that have most likely been fulfilled. And most of the prophecies themselves don't actually take that much build up. (Rand needs to go blind and become a beggar).

All of that being said, I'd prefer more books because I don't want it to ever end.

Zombie Sammael
07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
All of that being said, I'd prefer more books because I don't want it to ever end.

Yes. As an artist, I understand and respect Brandon and Harriet's decision that it should end after AMOL and the encyclopedia. As a fan, however, they can write prequels and outriggers until the cows come home.

Davian93
07-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes. As an artist, I understand and respect Brandon and Harriet's decision that it should end after AMOL and the encyclopedia. As a fan, however, they can write prequels and outriggers until the cows come home.

I wouldn't be surprised if BS comes back to WoT in 10-15 years after he's established himself as a completely independent writer of Fantasy in his own sense. He's already doing that with Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker and his new series but I dont think he wants to be "the guy that finished WoT" in the Fantasy world. Maybe once he finishes his own massive series (which started off very strong), he'll come back with Harriet's permission and knock out the other two outriggers.

Toss the dice
07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
When you look at the list of unresolved plot threads each in isolation in a format such as a list, you will have that impression. However, hopefully TOM demonstrated that a number of the unresolved threads will actually tie together and resolve one another. I do think most of the plot threads will be resolved in this manner. I am only really worried about the Black Tower, which BS seems to be struggling to place.

I would hope that roughly one third of the book would be Black Tower and other details that need to be resolved, one third would be the Last Battle and other battles, and one third will be, essentially, epilogue.

I agree with your breakdown hopes of the Black Tower, Last Battle and epilogue. The BT is in dire need of attention and has quite a few things remaining - several of them seemingly before the Last Battle is over.

Obviously there will be some sort of epilogue, since the Last Battle will be concluded in AMoL. I'm hoping for a nice full one complete with "Return of the Jedi" celebrations and a decent picture of where many of the main characters end up and will settle down.

I am hoping there isn't a lot of content devoted to solely Egwene and her interactions with Aes Sedai around her. I don't see the need for such, it will take up valuable space, and considering how I envision the general plot to play out, Egwene and her Aes Sedai seem pretty cut and dried. Basically we have stuff about her near the beginning of the book as plans are being made, and then we have a lot of content that includes them fighting in the Last Battle. Finally, I assume (and we should) we have Egwene and the future of the Aes Sedai (including Ashaman) in the epilogue part of it. Egwene and a bunch of Tower Aes Sedai sitting around and discussing the Last Battle for three chapters should NOT play into it, however.

I also envision Elayne to be in the same boat. The politics should be kept to an absolute minimum, and it should be all action. I don't give a crap which nobles are lending the support of 600 armsmen or 750 armsmen to the cause, or which may have an idea to move against her after the Last Battle.

Zombie Sammael
07-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I agree with your breakdown hopes of the Black Tower, Last Battle and epilogue. The BT is in dire need of attention and has quite a few things remaining - several of them seemingly before the Last Battle is over.

Obviously there will be some sort of epilogue, since the Last Battle will be concluded in AMoL. I'm hoping for a nice full one complete with "Return of the Jedi" celebrations and a decent picture of where many of the main characters end up and will settle down.

I am hoping there isn't a lot of content devoted to solely Egwene and her interactions with Aes Sedai around her. I don't see the need for such, it will take up valuable space, and considering how I envision the general plot to play out, Egwene and her Aes Sedai seem pretty cut and dried. Basically we have stuff about her near the beginning of the book as plans are being made, and then we have a lot of content that includes them fighting in the Last Battle. Finally, I assume (and we should) we have Egwene and the future of the Aes Sedai (including Ashaman) in the epilogue part of it. Egwene and a bunch of Tower Aes Sedai sitting around and discussing the Last Battle for three chapters should NOT play into it, however.

I also envision Elayne to be in the same boat. The politics should be kept to an absolute minimum, and it should be all action. I don't give a crap which nobles are lending the support of 600 armsmen or 750 armsmen to the cause, or which may have an idea to move against her after the Last Battle.

I think that's reasonable. Most of the Elayne and Egwene political stuff was tied up during Towers of Midnight. Egwene and Elayne's personal interactions with the rest of the cast should be an important part of the book though, as they are main characters, and Egwene's interaction with Rand and the nobles at Merrilor is obviously vitally important too. From the sounds of things we may get some wheeling and dealing involving Egwene involving the Seanchan.

What I'm actually starting to hope doesn't happen is Rand running off and leaving at the end. As the one person who remembers the AOL, he's uniquely placed to help shape the world of the future, and has shown a desire to do so earlier in the series (the schools, for instance). I really think he ought to.

FelixPax
07-06-2011, 08:13 AM
New PoV's from characters, readers have seen repeatedly, yet whom haven't had their thoughts exposed.

Ewin -- Slave of Moiraine's Silver Penny.
Ila -- Earth Mother & Maiden wed to no man?
Valan Luca -- The Dragon?
Renaile din Calon Blue Star -- Promises.
Talaan din Gelyn -- a key to Sea Folk & Aes Sedai relations.
Amel, Master of Blades-- a Darkfriend, seen by Bors?
Bennae Nalsad -- Scholar of Snakes; Brown Ajah & native Shienaran

jana
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
we haven't had a Thom PoV either (but I don't really care if we get one)

nameless
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Wasn't there one at the beginning of Shadow Rising?

Davian93
07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Wasn't there one at the beginning of Shadow Rising?

Yes...Thom has a POV when he and Moiraine talk about him going to Tanchico with Elayne & Nynaeve as part of Moiraine's plotting to get him out of the way of her manipulating Rand into attacking Illian.

jana
07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes...Thom has a POV when he and Moiraine talk about him going to Tanchico with Elayne & Nynaeve as part of Moiraine's plotting to get him out of the way of her manipulating Rand into attacking Illian.

*smackhead*

How could I forget something that's one of my top 10 scenes in the series? I'm old, that's how.

(but I can even quote it. "I am not thirsty" "I did not mean them" "...or perhaps a boar." "A quiet life would...yadda yadda yadda")

edit: aww. it's "mistook him for a boar. Or perhaps a deer."

The Unreasoner
07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I want a goddamn Logain POV, and a Dobraine one.

sleepinghour
07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Thom also had a POV in TGH where he discovers Dena's dead body in their room.

As a side note, even back when I first read TGH and didn't have a clue Thom would end up with Moiraine, I thought it was funny how Dena seemed to resemble her looks-wise (slender and pretty with "fair Cairhienin skin and dark hair hanging loose to her shoulders").

Toss the dice
07-07-2011, 12:21 AM
The only people I would care to see out of Felix's list would be Luca and Ewin. I really hope we get to see both of them, but povs wouldn't be necessary. If we do see them, I suspect Ewin will be a soldier somewhere, and maybe Mat will run into him. That would be cool. Luca would fit in well about anywhere, especially post-LB when he could put on a show.

Also, the big scholar of snakes I remember would have been Nesune Bihara, who at one point had a lengthy discussion about one with Verin. I'm assuming most Browns have studied snakes at one time or another, but I don't remember anything about Bennae Nilsad except her name.

I'll tell you this though. If we get a pov from Bennae Nilsad about snakes, I'm going to burn the book. I always regret coming to this site without logging in first...

The Angry Druid
07-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Well, I'm hoping for a multi-POV prologue, and my choices would be:

1) Something from the BT (Taim, Pevara, or one of the good Asha'men) OR a Logain POV.

2) Loial POV at the Stump, with a decision/course of action.

3) Borderland POV with how they are faring: Kandor = (Heeth Tower or fangel Aiel), something from Arafel.

4) Something from Fain.

5) Something from Lanfear or Moridin. A memory of Light days from their perspective. Maybe with some info on the Strike at Shayol Ghul, how AS were raised before the Breaking (no oath rod), included.

6) Something from the Sea Folk (hopefully Rand did something with them). They've paid a heavy price. They've been short changed. He said he was going to be better to everyone in ToM, but they still got the shaft.

7) Tuon POV.

------

FelixPax
07-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Also, the big scholar of snakes I remember would have been Nesune Bihara, who at one point had a lengthy discussion about one with Verin. I'm assuming most Browns have studied snakes at one time or another, but I don't remember anything about Bennae Nilsad except her name.

Robert Jordan has played repeatedly with the idea of: snakes, serpents, reptiles and their sounds.

It's subtle, yet short mentions of snakes had been woven across the whole series. It's a major metaphor & symbol.

I could show an ample number of examples, if someone would like?

Toss the dice
07-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Robert Jordan has played repeatedly with the idea of: snakes, serpents, reptiles and their sounds.

It's subtle, yet short mentions of snakes had been woven across the whole series. It's a major metaphor & symbol.

I could show an ample number of examples, if someone would like?

What does this have to do with Bennae Nilsad and your original comment specifically? You're just throwing random crap together and making up the majority of it.

When people like Terez make up incredibly convoluted theories that have no chance in hell of ever coming about, at least theirs' has actual basis to it (not to mention sanity), however stretched and implausible.

I hope for your sake that you're a troll. You're a troll regardless, but it would be much more respectable if you were one on purpose.

Zombie Sammael
07-07-2011, 05:10 AM
What does this have to do with Bennae Nilsad and your original comment specifically? You're just throwing random crap together and making up the majority of it.

When people like Terez make up incredibly convoluted theories that have no chance in hell of ever coming about, at least theirs' has actual basis to it (not to mention sanity), however stretched and implausible.

I hope for your sake that you're a troll. You're a troll regardless, but it would be much more respectable if you were one on purpose.

He's not a troll. It's just that being nuts is his thing. You gotta have a thing.

The Unreasoner
07-07-2011, 06:50 AM
He's not a troll. It's just that being nuts is his thing. You gotta have a thing.

yeah. I have a completely unreasonable degree of (real) hate for a character liked by many, if not most.

Terez's thing is noob bashing and long shot theories rendered likely because she is making them.

Tamyrlin has the bizarre need to add a title to every single post.

Gonzo likes to egwene-bash by holding her to the same standards he holds everyone else to.

Res may be the sanest man on the boards, along with davian

Felix is the most (fun) nuts.

Zombie Sammael
07-07-2011, 06:55 AM
yeah. I have a completely unreasonable degree of (real) hate for a character liked by many, if not most.

Terez's thing is noob bashing and long shot theories rendered likely because she is making them.

Tamyrlin has the bizarre need to add a title to every single post.

Gonzo likes to egwene-bash by holding her to the same standards he holds everyone else to.

Felix is the most (fun) nuts.

What about me?

Oh, and where is Terez? Did we scare her off?

The Unreasoner
07-07-2011, 07:00 AM
lol. you are too polite. reasonable though. you don't pick up any side of an argument so strongly that you can't at least acknowlege the other side's points. clever too

And the fun thing about Terez is that if you mention her, eventually she will show up. Like Chrestomanci (loved diana w jones when i was little)

Zombie Sammael
07-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Heh, I'm only being polite and reasonable at the moment because I'm aware there are things in the books I may have completely forgotten about. Once I'm done rereading there'll be brains everywhere (or not). But thanks, you made my day. :D

GonzoTheGreat
07-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Gonzo likes to egwene-bash by holding her to the same standards he holds everyone else to.I have to admit that I am now and then guilty of this. It is rather unfair to her, true.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-07-2011, 08:14 AM

you're ready for the crazybin. second door left, you'll recognize it by the smell of candy and the sound of softly whistled jingles

Charlz Guybon
08-16-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm hopping to see lots of action and cliffhangers in the prologue. Lets face it there just isn't time for anything else. I want it to open with Talmanes leading the Band in Caemlyn, I want to see Pevara's great escape!

GonzoTheGreat
08-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm hopping to see lots of action and cliffhangers in the prologue.Typo or no typo, that's the question.

Davian93
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
If aMoL is anything like every single other book that BS has ever written, it will be 600 pages of dry discussion/maneuvering followed by 100-150 pages of ridiculously fast action.