PDA

View Full Version : Talk about late adopter...

Frenzy
06-24-2011, 10:37 PM
i'm finally reading the Harry Potter books. To my kids, which is loads of fun. :D At first they didn't understand why i haven't seen the movies yet, but now my son laughs uproariously every time Hagrid shows up, and said he likes Book Hagrid MUCH better.

Though he laughs whenever i stumble over Hagrid, Hedwig, and Harry. You try reading them out loud :p

Terez
06-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I would be too tempted to pronounce 'Hedwig' German-like. Which would of course make it more difficult.

sandoz12
06-25-2011, 02:43 AM
I never knew how to pronounce Hermione until I saw one of the movies.

Hedwig would sound so much better with a German pronunciation.

Ishara
06-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Ooooh. I'm jealous Frenzy! I wish I could go back and read them all for the first time! I am counting down the days till July 7th. I tear up just watching the brief trailers!

Uno
06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
I still don't see the wisdom of the house system at Hogwarts. Basically, there are just two houses you can get sorted into without being insulted in the process. If they ship you to Slytherin, then at the very best you're a bit of a jerk, and if you go to Hufflepuff, then you're sort of a dullard.

To expound on that general theme, they choose kids with jerk-qualities to go to a house where jerkdom is encouraged, instead of sending them somewhere where they'd learn better behaviour. Now, I'm sure lots of people are selfish jerks when they're eleven, but they don't necessarily stay that way, unless, of course, their formative years are spend in an environment where they're taught that being a egotist is a good thing.

Frenzy
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
You DID go to high school, right? ;)

Uno
06-26-2011, 01:50 PM
At my high school, at least, being a jerk wasn't a social virtue, and even if the students cultivated jerkdom, which they didn't, I don't think school officials would have endorsed and even institutionalized it. So your cynicism, while well-taken, is not that apt in this case.

Ishara
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I still don't see the wisdom of the house system at Hogwarts. Basically, there are just two houses you can get sorted into without being insulted in the process. If they ship you to Slytherin, then at the very best you're a bit of a jerk, and if you go to Hufflepuff, then you're sort of a dullard.

Ha. My parents went to the Disneyland/world exhibit/ ride and came home with a Hufflepuff t-shirt for me. I think because they felt ...I don't know what. First I cried (and yes, am 28 and counting, thanks), then I pulled the quote from HP that essentially said, "we'll take anyone!". Needless to say I would have been happier with Ravenclaw. ;)

maacaroni
06-27-2011, 06:29 AM
I was in Howard house at school. Oh the days of Yore.

Anyway, Slytherin house values ambition, cunning, leadership, resourcefulness, and most of all, pure wizard blood.

(Sound like Republicans to me!)

nameless
07-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Hufflepuff is supposed to be the one with good work ethic, right? They're aligned with elemental Earth and the suite of staves in Tarot. I think the Sorting Hat just does a bad job of explaining his criteria.

Davian93
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM

To expound on that general theme, they choose kids with jerk-qualities to go to a house where jerkdom is encouraged, instead of sending them somewhere where they'd learn better behaviour. Now, I'm sure lots of people are selfish jerks when they're eleven, but they don't necessarily stay that way, unless, of course, their formative years are spend in an environment where they're taught that being a egotist is a good thing.

They're British...it doesnt have to make sense.

Also, FWIW, I read them for the first time last year. Up till then, I simply never got around to them.

Terez
07-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I read them not long after I joined Theoryland. Before then I'd thought they were just kids' books; I was surprised to see a lot of Potter fans here, so I figured they were worth a shot (and I was pleasantly surprised). Hated the movies, and stopped watching after GOF.

Davian93
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I read them not long after I joined Theoryland. Before then I'd thought they were just kids' books; I was surprised to see a lot of Potter fans here, so I figured they were worth a shot (and I was pleasantly surprised). Hated the movies, and stopped watching after GOF.

The movies are just so-so.

The books are a nice fun read IMHO. Nothing to go nuts theorizing about and dissecting but overall, I've read them twice and liked them a lot both times.

Terez
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I think I re-read them for book 6, and then I just read book 7 when it came out with no re-read. And yeah, no real compulsion to read them again, but still a favorable impression of the books.

Crispin's Crispian
07-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Sorry I missed this earlier!

I just finished the series last month or so. I bought myself the box set in January once the whole thing was available at once.

My son just started reading them, but he's going so fast that I can't imagine he's understanding it all. I know they're not terribly difficult books, and he's an "advanced" reader... But he read the third book in about three days (truly).* I tried to hold off on "Goblet" but he's so insistent we had to use it as a bribe.

I think he just wants to get through them so we can watch the movies. ;)

*I was going to say "literally," but that seemed redundant. :p