PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

ShadowbaneX
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
not the serious kind, so don't get worried.

No, this is about a wedding gift for my sister. Story time: my sister and her soon-to-be husband recently bought my late-grandparent's cottage. Outside of that cottage used to be a sign with my grandparents' names on it. Now that my sister is taking it over I want to give her a similar sign for them to put up.

Now, whereas my grandparent's cottage had a little well on it, my sister really likes dragonflies so I thought I'd put one of those up there. I did a quick GIS and came across two different designs that I like and I'd like to know what TL things would be the better design.

so we've got the abstract and the artistic
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/07/30/08/715561_thumb.jpg (http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/07/30/08/715561_400x397.jpg) http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/07/30/08/715565_thumb.jpg (http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/07/30/08/715565_653x512.jpg)

so, which do you like better?

(note, those are the thumbnails, click on them to see bigger versions).

JSUCamel
07-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I hereby cast my vote for Dragonfly A.

That would be the one that is not Dragonfly B.

Birgitte
07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the artistic.

Matoyak
07-30-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm of two minds for this. Hear me out, and maybe I'll make sense.

If it was a tatoo, a painting, etc, I would vote for dragonfly B.(The second one) because of the greater detail and overall...it's more aesthetically pleasing. But as this is a sign designed to last a long time, simpler is better. The less detail you need to put in, the less time will wear and blur it into unreconizable-ness. Go for the first one.

irerancincpkc
07-30-2008, 07:41 AM
I would go with the first one as well.

Davian93
07-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I like the one on the right.

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2008, 08:07 AM
SBX, you can follow my political advice, you know that's very sound. But when it comes to art, well ... I haven't even managed to convince you that Britney is* a good singer, have I?

As for Matoyak's worries: how long does the average marriage last, anyway?

* Is, was, whatever. I do admit she's let her standards slip a bit. As well as some other things, perhaps.

Zaela Sedai
07-30-2008, 08:32 AM
I like Dragonfly B better, but I think for a sign in front of a cottage Dragonfly A would be the best choice.

And great idea:)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-30-2008, 08:38 AM
That's a really cute idea, SBX! I'd prefer dragonfly A since it's clearly a dragonfly.

BTW, if she wants, we have a nice fat colony of them in our backyard. Does FedEx ship insects? 'Cause they've reached irritation levels.

Ishara
07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
For your idea, definitely Dragonfly A. What kind of sign will it be, and also, aren't you leaving this a bit late? Don't they get married this weekend?

If you're not in a super rush, I'd suggest Etsy.com for this sign, as you can get all sorts, maybe a wooden one, or a ceramic sign? Let me know, cause I can help you (me being the Etsy junkie), and they do custom orders, so you could probably even use the dragonfly pic you want.

ShadowbaneX
07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
For your idea, definitely Dragonfly A. What kind of sign will it be, and also, aren't you leaving this a bit late? Don't they get married this weekend?

If you're not in a super rush, I'd suggest Etsy.com for this sign, as you can get all sorts, maybe a wooden one, or a ceramic sign? Let me know, cause I can help you (me being the Etsy junkie), and they do custom orders, so you could probably even use the dragonfly pic you want.
it's a little late, but I've been looking for about a month and only just found these guys yesterday (it's been making me a little nervous).

The sign isn't anything too complex, it'll probably be an indoor sign, although I suppose they could laquer it and put it outside. It'll be wooden roughly 8" x 18" and just have their names on it and the dragonfly design.

I didn't want anything too large, or overly artistic and painted up as I wanted it to be similar to the one my grandparents had.

Brita
07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Well, just don't procrastinate too much when you make your travel plans to Toronto for October :p

tanaww
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I like the one on the right but agree with those who say that the one on the left is probably the better choice for ease of creation and durability.

jason wolfbrother
07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm gonna cast my vote for the one on the right. Dragonfly B I guess it is ;) I think it just looks cooler. Regardless of wear and tear it will still look good.

~$.02 in the jar~

;) :cool: :cool:

Mort
07-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Regardless of which one is more durable over time etc, I vote for dragonfly B (the right one)

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-30-2008, 12:40 PM
the one on the left gets my vote for same/similar reasons already stated

Brita
07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Ha! Now I can see them- all morning the images were blocked (stupid work) and now for some strange reason they show.

Hard choice- they are both very nice. Depends on your sister I think- is she a status quo kinda girl (Image A) or likes to be a little different (Image B).

I think they would both translate well onto a sign. Good luck- and take a picture for us once it's done!

Cary Sedai
07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I like Dragonfly A. It's simple and won't detract from thier names. Which is really the important part of this sign. Newlyweds, usually like seeing thier names together. At least, I know the girls can get pretty giddy about it! :)

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Good point from Cary. Add their names to the sketch that you're looking at yourself, so that you will know how the total will look. That may (or may not) influence which of the two options looks best.

Edited to add:
Cary, girls can get giddy over absolutely anything, so that's not really much of an argument.

Cary Sedai
07-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Edited to add:
Cary, girls can get giddy over absolutely anything, so that's not really much of an argument.

The truth is always a good argument! :p

Sei'taer
07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I would also go for A even though I think B looks cooler. I don't think it would last very well though.

Cool idea for a gift too.