PDA

View Full Version : New theory on Machin Shin ,

John Snow
07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
- A collaboration of Theoryland Great Minds: Snow & Firseal -

In the midst of a discussion elsewhere on the subject of evil computers, it occurred to me that there is no evil computer in WoT. Then it occurred to me that just possibly there is - indeed, it seems very reasonable that there should be. Firseal and I propose that Machin Shin is such a machine. We hold the black wind to be a transit system computer gone rogue. To further elaborate, The Black Wind is really a cloud based super computer that ran off of the One Power, was tainted along with the male half of the power, and due to the metaphysics plus the whole breaking of the world lost it's material component even as the Dark One's touch corrupted it beyond compare. It manages to shunt a portion of itself into the Ways, and then through connection to Shadar Logoth became a failure synthesis of taints, while at the same time trying to replace its missing hardware with victims taken in the Ways.

I expressed the concern that a connection to Shadar Logoth seems unlikely if it has a deep aversion/hatred to shadowspawn....although, if it thinks Shadowspawn are rush-hour commuters, on Monday morning...that's where the compulsion to eat them/drop them into dark uncharted spaces comes from. Aha again!

Firseal continued on his winning thought with: Like I said - evil computer. More, its evil is a systhesis of taints. That doesn't mean it is running on the Dark One's power (TP) but just twisted by the residue on the OP. The most this does is make it evil cousin to the Dark One, and if you never saw an evil cousin willing to break its other evil cousin's toys, you don't know any evil cousins. Also, since when did the powers of Shadar Logoth not hate the Dark One? Do recall Aridhol went dark because it weaponized hating the Dark One. Oh, sure, Fain will play with the Darkies, but he'll also kill them for sport, boredom, amusement, or even to work out his anger issues and the Mist sure as hell didn't have any mercy on Darkspawn.

So there we have it, Machin Shin fans - a new understanding of what the Dark Breezy One is really all about. :eek:

Terez
07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately for your loony theory, RJ described Machin Shin as a parasite created by the taint.

The Unreasoner
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm not entirely sure what it is you are arguing. The majority of what you said is supported by a 'creative' interpretation of what RJ said. The only thing unusual is the notion of a 'tainted computer', which, unfortunately, is contradicted by the evidence. It was 'born' tainted, it wasn't tainted, and i see no reason to think it would be any kind of computer. the fact that it attacks anything in the ways only confirms its status as a mindless parasite.

sandoz12
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
A 'tainted' computer is just WoT terminology for what we would call a virus-infected PC. So obviously the creator made the computer and then the Dark One infected it with a virus. In the same way it can be said that he infects those who channel saidin with a madness-causing virus.

The Unreasoner
07-04-2011, 01:38 AM
I sort of meant that I didn't get why machin shin needs to be a computer, I'm not following the metaphor.

sandoz12
07-04-2011, 02:18 AM
I sort of meant that I didn't get why machin shin needs to be a computer, I'm not following the metaphor.

I don't think Machin Shin is a computer at all. I was just suggesting it could be a computer and 'tainted'. Ie the fact that Machin Shin was tainted doesn't in itself mean that Machin Shin is not a computer.

But for it to be a computer just seems a little too crazy.

GonzoTheGreat
07-04-2011, 03:18 AM
We hold the black wind to be a transit system computer gone rogue.If that were true, then the Black Wind would be screeching at those who flee before it "Mind your step. Mind your step." Since it has another slogan, your theory is disproven. Terez did that too, but I like my refutal more.

sandoz12
07-04-2011, 05:56 AM
If that were true, then the Black Wind would be screeching at those who flee before it "Mind your step. Mind your step." Since it has another slogan, your theory is disproven. Terez did that too, but I like my refutal more.

Or maybe it would be an anti-smoking nazi. You know all fine until someone brings out their Tabac pipe and then be like "You are smoking in the ways. For this you must die. Your bones so sweet ..."