PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Censoring at Olympic Games

Davian93
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/07/30/olympics.internet.ap/index.html

This is ridiculous...they're basically breaking every promise they made when they were bidding for the Olympics but nothing is happening to them.

Brita
07-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Are you surprised?

My boss leaves tomorrow with her family to watch the games. So I'll get a first hand account of how the games were run and the atmosphere. It will be very interesting.

Davian93
07-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Nope...not one bit...this is a global coming out party for China too and everyone will gloss over the massive human rights violations they commit on a daily basis and focus on how far they've come blah blah blah.

Sei'taer
07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I love all the pictures of Beijing with the incredible amount of smog hanging over the city. Going to be tough on the athletes trying to breathe.

Sarevok
07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Weirdest thing here...
The page loads... but at the same time I get a pop-up saying it can't be loaded and the "operation has been aborted", when I click OK, I get a standard "page not found" error...

NargsBrood
07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
This is ridiculous...they're basically breaking every promise they made when they were bidding for the Olympics but nothing is happening to them.

I think they agreed to no restrictions with reporting that had to do with the olympics. They didnt say they would allow all reporting on all subjects. As much as we'd like to, disagreeing with china on their human rights issues, they gave an inch and we want a mile.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm still on the 'we should have boycotted' wagon. But is it really a shock to anyone that they aren't keeping their word?

NargsBrood
07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm still on the 'we should have boycotted' wagon. But is it really a shock to anyone that they aren't keeping their word?

I am not so sure they're not keeping their word.

Ivhon
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I have never supported boycotting the Olympics themselves. It only hurts the athletes - most who never see a dime for decades of work - and tarnishes the idea that the games are above international politics.

On the other hand, the selection committee can certainly excercise better judgment over where the games will be held.

Ishara
07-31-2008, 01:26 PM
The IOC and the Olympics are hardly above international politics. The IOC is one of the most corrupt, venal organizations out there, and the Olympics aren't as idealistically pristine as people would like to think. You only have to look at the bidding that got Beijing the games in the first place to see that.

Yes, great for those athletes who have earned a spot on their country's Olympic Team. Awesome. But aside from the USA, where does the Olympics take you that not going would be a detriment? American Olympians (the non-professionals) are America's sweethearts for a while, even after the games, but then they have to go back to their day jobs. The majority of them don't see endorsements or additional funding from going - although their sport associations might receive better funding as a whole.

But how does it hurt them? They got there by competing in what should be more prestigious events such as the Pan-Am Games (for example). It's not as if they haven't had other opportunities to medal or set best times. They have.

The Olympisc aren't this shining example of international cooperation, just take a look at the bidding wars that happen to get them in the first place. They're often a HUGE drain on local and national economies and are never a safe bet in terms of financial return - just look at Athens. I hate to be the liberal one here, but countries could be better spending their money...

The athletes (and the countries they represent) are copping out by saying that the Olympics isn't the forum to discuss international poilitcs. Where better? When else are these athletes, often role models (however short term), have the opportunity to stand up against something that is purely wrong? The West idealizes their athletes, and the message that we're getting back is that the sport, the competition is more important than contraveneing human rights and suppressing free speech.

Garbage.

Crispin's Crispian
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Weirdest thing here...
The page loads... but at the same time I get a pop-up saying it can't be loaded and the "operation has been aborted", when I click OK, I get a standard "page not found" error...
I got the same thing, Sare, the first time I tried it. I opened the link again and it all worked fine. :confused:

Maybe it was censored.

JSUCamel
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
I hate to be the liberal one here, but countries could be better spending their money...

Chicago's gearing up for a bid, themselves. Just to BID they need $200 million, of which only $50m will come from private donors. The rest comes from the city. From taxes. From Chicagoan taxpayers.

What about the homeless?
What about cancer research?
What about (insert pet project here)?

Who gives a flying shit about who can run the fastest 100m dash. Figure that out elsewhere, like Ishara said.

Sinistrum
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
*gasp* A totalitarian regime being oppressive? NO WAY!!!!! :p Color me Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Crispin's Crispian
07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Chicago's gearing up for a bid, themselves. Just to BID they need $200 million, of which only $50m will come from private donors. The rest comes from the city. From taxes. From Chicagoan taxpayers.

What about the homeless?
What about cancer research?
What about (insert pet project here)?

Who gives a flying shit about who can run the fastest 100m dash. Figure that out elsewhere, like Ishara said.
Surely they've determined that the revenues to the city vis'a'vis the Olympic games will far outstrip the cost.

jason wolfbrother
07-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Surely they've determined that the revenues to the city vis'a'vis the Olympic games will far outstrip the cost.

Yeah if they win their bid. What if they don't. Do they get to return the $200 Million?

pops taer
07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Take a look there. She is an official member of the Press. I can't say the Chinese won't control what comes out of there but after talking to her Mom this morning I'd say the media will do it's best to get some good stuff out somehow. Ashley is a very nice young lady and very intelligent. Also, very 'Single' guys!!!!

Sarevok
08-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Hear on the radio this morning: the censoring has been lifted.

Ishara
08-01-2008, 09:01 AM

But that's the thing - nothing is guaranteed. Atlanta was the first Olympics to turn a profit, ever. Athens is so deep in the hole after the Olympics they may never get out. It depends on too many factors to be willing to throw all that money away on the off chance you might get it.

Toronto was in the running against Beijing, and lost because the IOC President wanted Beijing. That's it. I'm thrilled though. We have two HUGE stadiums that we can't fill, so what in the hell would we do with a third of Olympic proportions? It's all a big waste.

And before someone jumps in with the point that it's a boost for the economy, let me say you're right. In the very short term. Vancouver is booming right now in terms of building and landscaping, but where will all those jobs be when the facilities are built (well before the games)? It's an unsustainable pressure

Bread before circuses indeed.

Davian93
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Didn't the Montreal games basically bankrupt the city for a decade?

The Immortal One
08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Color me Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Have you been watching Fight Club?