PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Feasts on Those Who Text

Davian93
07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25934644/

Honestly I would have to say that texting is a good tool to weed out those that don't need to be part of the gene pool....though they have added padding to the streetposts in London because too many idiots smashed their heads into them while texting and walking.

Mort
07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Dont have a problem with texting at all, but people doing it in a car while driving it I have a bit of problem with.

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Is this like chewing gum and talking at the same time?

Cary Sedai
07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
That's crazy! I mean, I suppose it's actually not. Of course that would begin happening... But, I mean to get so involved in a text. It takes forever to type anything out anyhow, you may as well wait, or take the time to look up once in a while.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm glad I refuse to carry a cell phone...

As long as people aren't driving and texting I don't think I have a problem with it... if you're walking and doing it, it's kind of hard to hurt someone else, but if you're driving...

Davian93
07-31-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm glad I refuse to carry a cell phone...

As long as people aren't driving and texting I don't think I have a problem with it... if you're walking and doing it, it's kind of hard to hurt someone else, but if you're driving...

LOL...Spammer...I've seen hundreds of people drive and text...I've seen people eat and drive (a salad once and also watermelon rinds which was hilarious), I've seen people read the newspaper and drive and I've even seen someone driving while they had their laptop up on the wheel (I have no idea what they were doing on the laptop) which was like WOW!

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 07:33 AM
LOL...Spammer...I've seen hundreds of people drive and text...I've seen people eat and drive (a salad once and also watermelon rinds which was hilarious), I've seen people read the newspaper and drive and I've even seen someone driving while they had their laptop up on the wheel (I have no idea what they were doing on the laptop) which was like WOW!
If I'm on the highway and I see someone driving and texting, I'm getting away from them; that's all I'm saying... :D

Davian93
07-31-2008, 07:37 AM
If I'm on the highway and I see someone driving and texting, I'm getting away from them; that's all I'm saying... :D

Probably the wise choice on your part.

Zaela Sedai
07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
...you don't have a cell phone?.....My 84 year old grandmother has a cell phone...

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 08:28 AM
...you don't have a cell phone?.....My 84 year old grandmother has a cell phone...
There are times when I just don't want to be in contact with people. I find the whole concept annoying. If I want to talk on the phone, I'll go find one.

Davian93
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
There are times when I just don't want to be in contact with people. I find the whole concept annoying. If I want to talk on the phone, I'll go find one.

I'm the same way (ironic as we apparently are alteregos according to Terez). My fiance and I share one cellphone that we treat as a house phone that we'll take with us when we're out together. Its very often turned off or at least on silent mode and we never answer it on weekends unless we are waiting for a call. We also very rarely text or do that stuff. I used to have a Blackberry at work (a couple jobs back when I worked from home half the time in MA) and I hated it. I was never off duty becuase of the damn thing. My supervisor would get mad when I didn't answer my phone even if it was 10 at night...It got old FAST.

Brita
07-31-2008, 09:47 AM
My hubby and I just got cell phones- and we didn't even give the number out. We just use it when we need to call someone (which is very handy I have to say).

I was at a meeting in Las Vegas when the iPhone came out (is that the right name?)- anyway, a doc bought one in Las Vegas and was talking about how crazy the line up was- and the hoopla around the whole thing (especially in Vegas). I mentioned that I didn't have a cell phone, that I was holding out because of the same reasons Spammer stated- and he said "I thought I was the last one to get a cell phone...that was 11 years ago" and they all had a good laugh at my expense. :D

tworiverswoman
08-01-2008, 07:05 PM
I have a T-Mobile phone that we use to pre-order Chinese take out sometimes while driving home from work. That's about the only thing we use it for. I put $10 in it about once every 2-3 months.

I have it MAINLY for emergency highway breakdowns or something like that. It's never on unless I'm placing a call -- and I've made exactly ONE text message with it -- which PD had to walk me through character by character, practically. That was ... two years ago? Ish?

Edited to add: Ernie places the take out order while I drive. I might use the phone once in a great while while driving -- but NEVER to text.

Dragon Thief
08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I got a phone, and for the life of me I can't remember how I functioned before it. And no, I actually don't talk a whole lot on mine. Me and my wife share a 700 minute plan, I usually take up 150-200 per month, the rest is hers, and we do not have any other phones.

Seriously. Impromptu get-togethers with your friends? I can call all my friends right up, and never need to know their number.

Need to make an appointment? Pow. Stored on my phone's calendar.

Think you bank is screwing you? Calculator on the go.

See something funny? Phonecam it and send it to your friends. It's how lolcats was started, or so the rumors go.

My phone is both my watch and my alarm clock. And it's not dependant on electricity from the house, so I an wake up even when my powers flicker or go out.

Keep forgetting account numbers and such? Whammo. Store them in notepad. Of course, i cheat and label them all incorrectly in case I lose my phone. Go ahead and try the one that says "bank" as a bank account and see what it gets you, you phone nabbers you!

Emergency about to happen? I have access to anyone I need to call. Emergency happening to someone else? They got access to me. There's no wonder if a person is home or at work, cause that person is with their cell phone.

I text a lot. Cause I can do it at work and not get caught. Plus, some are just quick questions that aren't worthy of a call - "you gaming tonight? if so, when?". Now i know when to log on and meet my buddies. "hey wifey, you hungry? or should I not wait for you to get home?" That problem's solved to. And I didn't need to wait around hungry, or take time on the phone, or any of that. It's immediate answers.

Also, I can text at work. And i do txt while driving - if you count those times at stoplights, drive thrus, etc. My phone has a full keyboard so I can fire em out that quick.

I use my phone as a storage device too. I hook up the cable it came with to my PC's USB slot, slap my data into it, take it to work or wherever else I'm going, and presto blingo, I don't need to carry any USB keys any more. Plus the same cable charges my phone's battery from the PC, so I can charge it at work without hunting for a buried outlet under my desk's maze of wiring.

So, to those of you who don't have or use phones, to each you're own. If you don't want one, that's weird, but cool. But just make sure you admit it's because you don't want one, not because one isn't useful enough.

Ever since I got moved out of my parents, I've never had a housephone again. And trust me from my second job at walmart, they are as obsolete as CDs. (Neither of which sell as well as the bubblegum up front does).

Marie Curie 7
08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Ever since I got moved out of my parents, I've never had a housephone again. And trust me from my second job at walmart, they are as obsolete as CDs. (Neither of which sell as well as the bubblegum up front does).

Heh. That's a bit of an overstatement, that house phones are obsolete. I've got a cell phone - I used it exclusively when I was on sabbatical and living away from home last year. However, when I'm home I can't use it. I live in a town of about 2000 people in the middle of nowhere, and I can't get a decent cell phone signal here. ~shrug~ I don't have any choice but to keep my land line.

I don't really use my land line or my cell phone that much, anyway -- I like to be detached from schedules and away from always being in constant contact, so I don't really mind if I never get a decent signal here. And well, I do have internet access out here in the hinterlands, so if people need to reach me, they can always send me email, and then I can choose to respond or not when I want to, not when the jingle of a phone demands it. :)

I did just get an iPod touch, though, and I really like it so far. :)

JSUCamel
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
A huge percentage of people are ditching landlines and going with only cell phones as their medium for communication. A smaller percentage are ditching landlines and going with VOIP connections via Internet (think Skype).

I don't think it's an overstatement at all to say landlines are obsolete in the home. If they're not obsolete, they're well on their way to becoming obsolete as cell phones and plans become more and more economical.

Marie Curie 7
08-02-2008, 08:24 PM
A huge percentage of people are ditching landlines and going with only cell phones as their medium for communication. A smaller percentage are ditching landlines and going with VOIP connections via Internet (think Skype).

I wasn't implying otherwise -- there's certainly a clear trend toward the use of cell phones or other alternatives and away from landlines. My point was simply that it is not yet the case that landlines are totally obsolete.

I don't think it's an overstatement at all to say landlines are obsolete in the home. If they're not obsolete, they're well on their way to becoming obsolete as cell phones and plans become more and more economical.

Again, I agree that landline usage is declining, but I think you're overestimating the actual number of households that have so far eliminated their landlines. Recent stats indicate that only about 16% of households in the US have eliminated their landlines. One survey from late 2006 (http://www.acainternational.org/about.aspx?cid=6488) reported 8%; a recent USA Today article from May 2008 (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2008-05-13-landlines_N.htm) reported 16%, which was stated to be an increase from 6% in 2004. So yeah, the landline is disappearing, at a rate of about 2.5% per year from 2004-2008. But those stats also tell us, of course, that about 84% of households in the US still have landlines.

Dragon Thief
08-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Heh. That's a bit of an overstatement, that house phones are obsolete.

Well, I'm stating simple observations. A walmart in central KY (ie, 75% of our customers live in very rural areas) barely sells housephones. In the same way, we don't even carry dial up modems. No one uses either one.

And I don't mean no one literally. I'm sure there's more than zero people that use them. But the sales on things of this nature - house phones, CDs, Dial Up Modems, etc - are so pathetic that they are stopped being carried by Walmart. In the last two years, each year has seen our CD section reduced by a large portion. And personally, even though I'm only part time now, I believe i've sold maybe 2-3 house phones throughout 2008. And if I do, it's the very basic cheap ol' $5 corded one for emergencies.

So no, it's no overstatement. I'm sure there are folks who are out there who use house phones. And there's a few people who don't have internet or computers, but those folks are so far outside the trend that their statistics really don't matter when you're talking about these technologies going obsolete.

It's like the 1-2 people a year who still ask why we don't carry VHS, Audio Caseettes, etc. They just aren't hooked into the same society as the rest of us.

Sarevok
08-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Hehe, canceling landlines over here is kinda impossible (or it was, dunno if it's been solved yet) since when you cancel your landline... the phone company wil shut off your connection to the network, thereby also shutting off your internet, even if you get it from a different provider.(as I said this may have been solved by now)
Most phone/internet companies here now offer a combined package for both phone and internet accounts. In fact, our landline in our home is plugger into the router. Drawback of course is that when you lose your internet connection, you also lose the landline... :)

tanaww
08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
It is quite interesting. We really flip-flopped on whether to have a house phone here in North Juarez and in the end went with a bundle from TW Cable that includes the phone, cable TV and my precious, precious cable internet. We opted for a house phone rather than another damn cell phone just to leave at home when the kids are with a sitter. But, technically I believe it's VoIP so that doesn't count as a landline. In that case, I'll most likely never have a landline again.

Birgitte
08-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Texting while driving is so dumb. That and reading (a book or newspaper... I don't include reading directions, because you don't get drawn into those) and being on a laptop are the dumbest things anyone can do while driving. You aren't even looking at the road and you're just asking to run into someone. Eating, drinking, talking on your phone, is fine. You're still looking where you're going. Everyone says that then your mind isn't entirely on driving, but honestly, when is it? Say you're not doing anything else, not even listening to the radio, chances are your mind is going to be on something else at the same time. Where you're going, what you're going to do there, recent interesting events... Anyway, as long as what you're doing isn't taking your eyes off the road, I'd say you're fine. And texting just doesn't let you keep your eyes on the road.

On the other hand, I'd be uncomfortable if I went anywhere without my phone. I use it as an alarm clock, watch, reminder for things I need to do, to keep in touch with my family, and I've got tetris on it for when I have to wait for things. I don't need to have it on me every moment, but its useful, especially in emergencies. And, best of all, I don't have to remember anyone's phone number when I need them!

The Immortal One
08-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I always carry my mobile phone just in case I need it but I don't often use it. I only spen about $10 (that's Australian Dollars for all you foreigners) every three months on it.

The downside to not having to remember phone numbers is that if you forget to carry it you (probably) won't remember the numbers you need. I suppose this would be especially bad if you lose your mobile phone - I should probably write down all the numbers stored in my phone just in case.

"What's *this person's* phone number?"
"Ummm.... I dunno!?!"