PDA

View Full Version : Rand Knows the Song.

Seeker
07-22-2011, 05:58 PM
A flickering campfire sent sparks up toward the night sky. There were hundreds of others like it across the field of Merrilor, hundreds in all directions as far as Jaem could see. Pulling his bright yellow coat tight against himself, he walked through the soft grass with his head down. What would people think to find a Tinker here? he wondered. His eyebrows climbed up at the thought.

His people found violence abhorrent. But he knew the signs; the Lord Dragon would ride to Shayol Ghul soon and if he did not prevail there, the world would die. Surely, there must be something Jaem could do. It was said the tu'athan had served the Lord Dragon once. Perhaps they could again.

But how to find the man.

Frowning, he marched up a grassy incline to a place where several tents were propped up around yet another campfire. The orange glow flickered on the faces of several young men who sat around the fire. Jaem heard soft laughter.

He shut his eyes and bowed his head. Best to go unnoticed.

"You there?" a woman's voice called out. "Who are you?"

Too late.

Jaem looked up to find an older woman coming toward him, hiking up her skirts as she barreled down the grassy hill. She was a stout woman with a hard face and gray hair that supported any number of strange ornaments. On second look, there was something about that face. Agelessness. This woman was Aes Sedai. "Well, speak up, boy!" she said, narrowing her eyes. "I haven't the time to deal with every stray who wanders toward my camp. Phaw!"

Jaem squinted at her. "My apologies, Aes Sedai."

"You'd best turn around," she went on. "This is no place for -"

"It's all right, Cadsuane," a gentle voice called from above. Further up the hill, a man stood with his back to the campfire. Tall and broad-shouldered, his face was barely visible in the soft light. "Come friend," he said, extending a hand. The other was kept hidden behind his back. "Sit by my fire. You must want some food."

Jame blinked. As he got closer, he noticed the man in greater detail. A handsome face, stern yet kindly. Short, red hair. And those eyes.. There was a deepness in those eyes, a quiet intensity. Instantly, Jaem knew who it was he stood before. He want down on one knee. "My Lord Dragon," he said, bowing his head. "It is an honour."

"The honour is mine, young man," Young? Jaem had to be this man's senior by half a decade. He looked up slowly. The Dragon stood before him with a smile on his face. "Once the tu'athan were a proud people who served the Aes Sedai. Join me and we will speak of things long lost."

Long Lost? Could he mean... "My Lord," Jaem said, breathless. "Do you know the song?"

The Lord Dragon blinked. "The song?" He frowned and reached up to clasp his chin in one hand. Suddenly, his eyes widened. "Oh, yes, the song!"

He shook his head slowly. "I know it well."

Jaem blinked several times to make sure he could see straight. "Well, you must tell me of it my Lord," he said, standing. "Please. My people have searched for centuries for the song."

"I'm not sure I have the voice," the Lord Dragon replied.

"Please! Please, you must!"

The other man sighed. "All right." He smiled thinly, then pressed a hand to his chest and looked up at the stars. "If I leave here, tomorrow..." he sang. "Would you still remember me?"

"For I must be traveling on now. Because there's too many places I've got to see..."

Not far away, a seed that had fallen to the Earth stirred. Awakened by he melody, it stirred and nudged its neighbour. "Hey, Bill," the seed asked. "Bill, wake up."

"What..." a neighbouring seed grumbled.

"Is that Skynyrd?"

The two seeds strained to catch the melody. "That IS Skynyrd!" they declared. Their roots began to grow, digging into the Earth. In time to the new melody, they sang..

"And this bird you cannot change!
And this bird you cannot change!

Seeker
07-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I love having a twisted mind. I really do.

Matoyak
07-22-2011, 06:19 PM
I, er...wut?

:D :D :D

EDIT: I think a better, more ironic (and yet also fitting) song would have been "All I Can Do is Write About it" by Skynyrd.

Kimon
07-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Blasphemy. Clearly, the Song is Stairway to Heaven.

Seeker
07-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I considered stairway but it was too obvious.

ShadowbaneX
07-22-2011, 10:50 PM
DIdn't you watch the remake of Battlestar Galactica? The song is clearly "All Along the Watchtower." We even have a joker and a thief...although they're kinda the same person...and he's not the crazy one so he cannot talk to himself. Hummm.

Res_Ipsa
07-23-2011, 03:28 AM
The only thing all three of those songs have in common is they are by incredibly over-played bands. Not saying over-hyped but over-played. That and they probably caused a whole lot of children to be made.

GonzoTheGreat
07-23-2011, 04:19 AM
Obviously, the Song is Toxic by Britney Spears, which will still be remembered 5 billion years from now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_(song)).

Edited to fix link. Or rather, to fix the code of the link.

Seeker
07-24-2011, 11:42 AM
How about Mr. Roboto?

Davian93
07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
The only thing all three of those songs have in common is they are by incredibly over-played bands. Not saying over-hyped but over-played. That and they probably caused a whole lot of children to be made.

Free Bird!!!!

ShadowbaneX
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Heh, imagine if it was Achy-Breaky Heart or the Macarena or something like that? You've got a few hundred of Daishan Aiel standing in a field line dancing as they're singing or chanting those songs.

Bane Darkwulf
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Naw, its gonna be something like Bohemian Rhapsody.

ShadowbaneX
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
That's boring. A bunch of Aiel rocking out isn't nearly as much fun as them line dancing.

Bane Darkwulf
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Think about it. The BR has multipart harmonies that the band couldn't reproduce live, different styles to fit different tastes, and mention "thunderbolts of lightning" which would be assumed to be a representation of the OP.

FelixPax
07-26-2011, 01:21 AM
I love having a twisted mind. I really do.

“Two coppers, my good Lord,” a ratty little man in the doorway said. “Two coppers to see the Dragon.”

“I don’t think so.” The Seeker glanced back at the man. A white dove had appeared in his hands. Dragon? “No.” He gave the ratty man a small bow and left. ;)