PDA

View Full Version : The Small Detail somewhere in books 4-6

YouForgotPoland
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Is it pretty accepted that the detail is Mat's way out of the tower?

Because I just re-read ToM and I came to the conclusion (inspired by another topic that discusses Padan Fain being "outside" the Pattern) that the small detail was in one of Padan Fain's POVs, where he says he has to stop by Caemlyn before heading to Tar Valon. The detail of course being that he unblocked the Waygate to get to Tar Valon, thus paving the way for the invasion we see at the end of the Towers of Midnight.

I couldn't find any other threads about this on the first few pages so forgive me if this is a commonly held belief :X

the_collective
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
The detail of course being that he unblocked the Waygate to get to Tar Valon, thus paving the way for the invasion we see at the end of the Towers of Midnight.

I haven't heard this one before, personally (though I'm no authority here), but I think it's a good idea. Makes a lot of sense.

That particular stop-over-in-Caemlyn of Fain's has always bugged me, since I couldn't figure out a reason for it.

Even now, I'm trying to remember if the Waygate at Manetheren was disabled entirely (from outside), because why else would Fain go all the way to Caemlyn in order to get into the Ways. There must be some reason he couldn't use the Manetheren Waygate itself. But I don't have TSR with me to look into it. In fact, there's also one in the Mountains of Mist he could've used instead (again, assuming that wasn't disabled and assuming he could somehow find it, as I don't believe he had been there before; he does know it's there somewhere, though, according to TEotW Chapter 47); unless, of course the Manetheren Waygate=Mountains of Mist Waygate...

nameless
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Loial took the "key" leaves away from the Waygate, causing them to die and making the gate impossible to open without a One Power cutting torch. I think the Caemlyn gate was just bricked over, so anyone with a chisel and a crowbar could get in if they got past the guards.

the_collective
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Loial took the "key" leaves away from the Waygate, causing them to die and making the gate impossible to open without a One Power cutting torch.

And this is the Manetheren Waygate, not the Waygate located in the Mountains of Mist, correct?

For that matter, how would Fain be thinking to himself that he needs to get to the Caemlyn Waygate so that he can get to Tar Valon ASAP (assuming he is thinking about this) unless he either witnessed Loial disabling the gate, overheard Loial tell Perrin about it or had time to check the Waygate himself after the Battle of the Two Rivers? It seems to me like that Fain PoV happened more or less directly after the Battle was over (but I don't have the book to check, of course).

The Unreasoner
07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
The Manetheren waygate is the one in the Mountains of Mist.

Marie Curie 7
07-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Is it pretty accepted that the detail is Mat's way out of the tower?

It's more than just 'accepted'. It was confirmed by Brandon that the small detail we missed was that the ashandarei provided a way out of the Tower of Ghenjei:

Brian Cayen on Twitter - 8 November 2010 (http://twitter.com/#!/BRCayen/status/1716704237322240)
I can't figure it out....what was the "little thing" that was missed [from books 4-6]?

Brandon (http://twitter.com/#!/BrandonSandrson/status/1720406956314624)
End of Chapter 55.

Anyway, you would have needed to check more than just the first few pages of this forum to find much of any kind of discussion about the small detail, since it's kinda old news now. Towers of Midnight came out last November - you should have checked around that time for most of the comments, which you can find in the forum archives (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42). Or you might have tried the search function.

The Unreasoner
07-26-2011, 09:04 PM
search function sort of sucks. and obviously people were willing to answer the OP.

Marie Curie 7
07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
search function sort of sucks. and obviously people were willing to answer the OP.

No, actually, nobody answered the question posed in the OP until I did. Others made comments about the proposed (incorrect) 'small detail' in the original post - which is fine, but none of those posts provided an answer.

And the search function might not be the greatest, but it actually does work. And my point, since the original poster mentioned that he/she had tried to look for previous discussion about the subject, was to mention where and how to possibly try to find an answer in case nobody is around who knows the answer.

Anyway, in using the search function, it's usually best to use Advanced Search, and to search by 'Relevancy' rather than searching chronologically.

So if you try it, and put in "small detail" for the key words, the search gives a number of posts on the first page that were made around the time of the release of TOM that have a discussion of the answer (for me, the second post on the page had it). Took just a few minutes to do the search, too.

The Unreasoner
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Ok, one person was willing to answer the OP. The rest of the replies were just humoring him. Didn't think about the relevancy thing though, thanks.

FelixPax
07-27-2011, 12:10 AM

Always an option of querying through the Advanced Search function of Google.com (http://www.google.com/search?q=Unreasoner+site%3Awww.theoryland.com&hl=en&biw=1350&bih=922&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=rl%3A1#sclient=psy&hl=en&lr=&tbs=rl:1&source=hp&q=The+Unreasoner+site:www.theoryland.com&pbx=1&oq=The+Unreasoner+site:www.theoryland.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5956l89773l5l90004l18l16l2l0l0l1l202l1907l5 .8.1l14&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1403d655118941d5&biw=1350&bih=922) or Bing.com (http://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Awww.theoryland.com+The+Unreasoner&go=&qs=n&sk=&sc=0-34&form=QBRE) instead. :cool:

Ishara
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Agreed. This is not directed at the OP poster, but threads are not meant to be easy paths to answers you can find on your own.

One of the aspects of being a Theorylander is doing your homework, NOT counting on others to do it for you and then deriding the existing tools we use to find the same information.

The Unreasoner
07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Agreed. This is not directed at the OP poster, but threads are not meant to be easy paths to answers you can find on your own.

One of the aspects of being a Theorylander is doing your homework, and counting on others to do it for you and then deriding the existing tools we use to find the same information.

I'm not the OP...

And I will tell you again, I generally do my research.