PDA

View Full Version : Theory on the Ogier

niteshadow29
07-27-2011, 09:25 AM
So after finishing my re-read a few weeks ago a theory struck me concerning the Ogier and steddings. I ran across a quote from RJ or Brandon some while back stating that the Ogier were from a parallel world. I think that it's quite possible that the steddings themselves are part of the Ogier's world and not a part of Randland. This could explain why magic does not work within the steddings because it is possible that their world does not have the OP at all.

When the severing from the source is described concerning the steddings it is as if it does not exist at all as opposed to Far Madding where they can still feel it but just not touch it. Or am I remembering that part wrong?

If this is the case I wonder if it would be possible for them to use their book to pull a part of their world into Randland at a specific place. Would be pretty interesting for them to make Shayol Ghul a OP free zone for the last battle.

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
would be possible for them to use their book to pull a part of their world into Randland at a specific place

I may just be thick today, but what does "use their book" mean???

GonzoTheGreat
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I may just be thick today, but what does "use their book" mean???They take a book they don't like and use it to whack the Amyrlin Seat over the head until she uses a Portal Stone to send them all away. That's why it takes them so long to decide on this: they have to agree on which book to risk damaging, and on which of them is gonna risk annoying (maybe even angering) an AS.

niteshadow29
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
The Book of Translation. From the limited description in the series that is the "book" that brought them to Randland and is intended to take them back to their own world. I have seen several theories that it is possibly a ter'angreal or other device but since OP doesn't work in the steddings I don't see how that would work.

Juan
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I like the idea that steddings are not from this world. Never heard it before. My biggest issue though is ok you can transport objects and people from world to world. But how do you take part of a world and fuse it with another while still keeping certain characteristics.

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
The Book of Translation. From the limited description in the series that is the "book" that brought them to Randland and is intended to take them back to their own world. I have seen several theories that it is possibly a ter'angreal or other device but since OP doesn't work in the steddings I don't see how that would work.

thank you for expounding. I figured you were referencing the BoT, but "use their book" seemed a bit vague. So you think entering the steddings is like a little wormhole...they don't actually exist on Randland, but stepping through to the stedding is sort of a portal into their own world? Or that a piece of another place can actually be, errr, I guess "chunked" is the best word here, another place can be CHUNKED into Randland? Does it disappear from Ogier-land then? Or is it a truly new creation of a place/time within a place?

niteshadow29
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
I am still trying to find the quote but at one point either Brandon or RJ said that they were from a parallel world. My theory is that the book allows them to swap portions of their own world with Randland. I would imagine that back in their own world they have portions of landscape that have areas matching the steddings that allow OP use.

I really wish I had access to all of the databases at work :( There was another quote given basically stating that if the Ogier left Randland too early then their world would be destroyed as well. This leads me to believe that the DO is actively in both worlds.

I don't know why but the description that was always used for the Ogier's Longing makes me think that their bodies are tied to their own world and the longer they are away from it they begin to fade from existence. This would further support the steddings being a portion of the world they are from. But maybe I have it all wrong.

GonzoTheGreat
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
I had to look it up to make sure that I had which one was which correct. The ‘finn worlds are parallel worlds, the Ogier world is a parallel world. The place that Lanfear, Rand, Loial and Hurin went to was a Mirror World, as were all of the ones in the Portal Stone incident.

Marie Curie 7
07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
So after finishing my re-read a few weeks ago a theory struck me concerning the Ogier and steddings. I ran across a quote from RJ or Brandon some while back stating that the Ogier were from a parallel world. I think that it's quite possible that the steddings themselves are part of the Ogier's world and not a part of Randland. This could explain why magic does not work within the steddings because it is possible that their world does not have the OP at all.

The idea that the stedding are not a part of Randland is not a new one; it's been discussed at various times before. Most recently (just a couple of months ago), I recall a thread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5443) in which Terez brought it up here and discussion ensued (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=148189#poststop).

There was also a brief mention of it during one of the WoT panels at DragonCon last year, though primarily in the context of the Book of Translation acting to physically return the Ogier to their home world, and not so much about the nature of stedding.

The nature of stedding themselves has been a source of a great deal of theorizing over the years. The earliest reference to a theory that stedding are part of the Ogier world comes from Belazamon, I believe, from a couple of years ago, posted here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1712).

There are a number of clues that stedding may not be part of Randland. One is the Book of Translation itself, and the knowledge we gained in KOD that it would transport the Ogier back to their world. Then, there is the confirmation (from Maria, actually, as per the quote that Gonzo posted) that Ogier are from a parallel world. There is also the property that you mentioned about not being able to channel in the stedding.

In addition, though, there is the knowledge that stedding cannot be accessed from Tel'aran'rhiod, which suggests something potentially different about the nature of the stedding (or that there is some sort of shielding occurring).

Finally, there is a hint in the epigram of TOM, when we learn that the Ogier ghosts ring the stedding apparently not being able to enter, which further suggests that the properties of the stedding are different than the regular world of Randland.

TOM Epigram

It soon became obvious, even within the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the borders of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me an afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

- from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai

If this is the case I wonder if it would be possible for them to use their book to pull a part of their world into Randland at a specific place. Would be pretty interesting for them to make Shayol Ghul a OP free zone for the last battle.

Shayol Ghul is not part of the normal world, either. Or at least we know that the Blight is not a part of the normal world, and Shayol Ghul is located in the Blight, so presumably this is the case for Shayol Ghul, too:

A Crown of Swords book tour 9 October 1996, Dunwoody, GA - Erica Sadun reporting

Blight: you can not enter it from Tel'aran'rhiod because it is apart from NORMAL UNIVERSE and can not be touched. The Blight is not part of the normal universe.

It seems most likely to me that the Book of Translation cannot be used in such a way, anyway. If the stedding are not part of Randland, but rather are overlays of the Ogier world (i.e., the physical laws of the Ogier universe overlaid) onto Randland, then presumably what the Book of Translation will do is transport those overlays and the Ogier themselves back to their home world.

P.S. 'stedding' is the plural of stedding (singular), not 'steddings'.

Zombie Sammael
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
As I remember, the most recent debate was between myself and Terez regarding what the Book of Translation actually did. Terez argued that it physically moved parts of the Ogier world into ours; I argued that it simply altered our world to be like the Ogier world. The debate fizzled out when we realised we were essentially expressing the same point of view in two different ways; Terez didn't actually believe that physical chunks of land had been moved from Ogier-land into Randland. Of course, I'm remembering it from my point of view so I could be biased, but I point it simply to avoid having to have the same debate again.

Tree Brother
07-27-2011, 02:21 PM
(Tangent)

I don't know why but the description that was always used for the Ogier's Longing makes me think that their bodies are tied to their own world and the longer they are away from it they begin to fade from existence. This would further support the steddings being a portion of the world they are from. But maybe I have it all wrong.

Search for "Longing" here (https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcjspjqg_89djj2tjpj&pli=1).

For some reason, I was remembering that because the Seanchan Ogier did not experience a long time away from the stedding during the breaking, they do not experience the Longing at all. But I do not see actual support for that in the quotes.

I am now wondering what is actually meant by "a long time outside the steading".

I think Loial was out for more than 5 years, and had not experienced the Longing yet. I think it unlikely that the Seanchan Ogier ever spend that amount of time away from a stedding. So it could be that they may not even know what the longing is for that reason.

ArtK
07-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Something I've never seen mentioned but thought of several times over the years:

Perhaps the Steadings are actually remnants of our world that retain its original laws of nature, while the rest of the world's laws were changed to allow the OP (and TP) to work. We have rumors of things left over from much older ages that don't seem to involve the OP in their operation (e.g. wolfbrothers).

In this case, the Book of Translation might only work in Steadings because whatever it uses is inconsistent with the laws of nature needed to make the OP work. This could also be involved in the failure of OP-based things like preservation weaves: now and then parts of the world partially revert to Steading-like operation where the weaves stop operating.

In this case, the Ogier wouldn't have anything to do with creating the Steadings, they simply can't stay comfortable in the part of the world where OP-friendly laws of nature hold. The Book of Translation would then simply transport them to another world whose entire laws of nature were OP-free.

niteshadow29
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Sorry I am sure this has been discussed as well but the search button scripting is disabled on my work computer for some reason. I have had another theory concerning the "Song" for a while now. I believe that it is going to be an ancient Ogier song that will allow the forces of the light to regrow life within the blight and force it back into Shayol Ghul. I have an odd feeling though that only those who have no malice towards any living thing(The Tuatha'an) will be able to sing it.

I have always wondered if that is how the Aiel failed the Aes Sedai. If their original purpose was to use the song to hold off the blight and when the Aiel split, the song was forgotten.

FelixPax
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
I like the idea that steddings are not from this world. Never heard it before.

Ogier Steddings are odd, they both of a foreign Parallel World yet are effected by changes to Earth, whether of Dream or Flesh.

Remember when Loial mentions how something is wrong with the Land, in parts of the Westlands? That wrongness of the Land, was one cause to push Ogier to abandon Steddings. The Blight. Another cause to push Ogiers to leave a Stedding, is too many Humans next door... Tar Valon was once the largest city in all of the Westlands.

Remember Perrin's thoughts upon hearing of a Stedding?

“A stedding,” Elyas roared. “You never listen to stories? Of course, there hasn’t been an Ogier here in three thousand odd years, not since the Breaking of the World, but it’s the stedding makes the Ogier, not the Ogier make the stedding.”

“Just a legend,” Perrin stammered. In the stories, the stedding were always havens, places to hide, whether it was from Aes Sedai or from creatures of the Father of Lies.

The Eye of the World, Chapter 29 "Eyes Without Pity" -- Perrin point of view; with Elyas, Egwene, Bela, and Dapple's Wolf Pack

Chuckles, where else safer than an Ogier Stedding could the true Dragon be re-born? An abandoned Stedding on Tar Valon. Too many Humans around that Tar Valon Stedding, for Ogiers to want to stay around.

The Aiel War near Tar Valon was a neat mechanism to push and pull a bunch of different groups into place:

Push almost all Aes Sedai off Tar Valon Island
Pull a Tuantha'an band to the Ogier Stedding on Tar Valon Island
Pull a pregnant Tuantha'an maid unwed to any man to Tar Valon to give birth
Create a series of false trails in an effort to protect the true Dragon: Luc, Tigraine, Aiel War, birth of a false Dragon who look unlike the true Dragon (Identity Protection)
How to pull Aes Sedai off Tar Valon Island? Create a war! Aiel War.

Steddings are a Sanctuary

Loial was on his feet, bowing to her. “I am Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, Aes Sedai. The stedding offers sanctuary to the Servants of the Light.”

The Eye of the World, Chapter 42 "Remembrance of Dreams" -- Rand al'Thor point of view; with Moiraine, Perrin, Mat Cauthon, Nynaeve, Egwene, Lan, Loial

Tinkers are Servants of the Light.

I don't know why but the description that was always used for the Ogier's Longing makes me think that their bodies are tied to their own world and the longer they are away from it they begin to fade from existence.

Yes, it's the Stedding that makes the Ogier, just as Elyas claimed.

One of my own Working Hypotheses claims is that Ogier Steddings are a place where a 'World of Flesh' is combined with a 'World of Dream'. Similar in part to other Parallel Worlds, like the Eelfinn or Aelfinn, where Flesh & Dream Worlds exist as one in the same. Granted the Time dimension operates differently, each of these three Parallel Worlds--Ogier Steddings, Aelfinn and Eelfinn realms. Time seems to operates at the identical rate whether one is physically at Ogier Stedding or Earth.

Westlands Ogier sense of "Longing", I suspect was created because the 'World of Flesh' called Earth, is truly a dream place. Hopper the Wolf, once claimed to Perrin, humans have it all backwards:

“I need to know, Hopper. You said there were things I must see. I need to see more, know more.” He hesitated, thinking of Mat, of Egwene and Nynaeve and Elayne. “The strange things I see here. Are they real?” Hopper’s sending seemed slow, as if it were so simple the wolf could not understand the need to explain it, or how to. Finally, though, something came.

What is real is not real. What is not real is real. Flesh is a dream, and dreams have flesh.

The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 43 "Shadowbrothers" -- Perrin point of view; with Hopper the Wolf, in a Wolf Dream or T'A'R

In essences, Ogier with 'Longing' in their bones were held too long on Earth.

Closest outside similarity to the Ogier's Longing for their Stedding, is perhaps a Human entering a Wolf Dream in the Flesh for too long. In both cases, the body begins to die. Perrin's body began to do this--at the Star Inn in Tear--when he was too strong for too long in a Wolf Dream while attempting to find the Falcon, with Hopper's assistance (TDR book). Later Perrin did the same, when Faile was kidnapped by the Shaido Aiel in Altara.

Even Ogier need to step out of the Dream that is called Earth, every once in a while. Ogier aren't native to a place, where Flesh and Dreams are separated, like Earth.

I believe that Zarine has been trapped inside a dream, perhaps even the World of Dreams, Tel’aran’rhiod. All that is her is inside that dream. All. A Dreamer sends only a part of herself. If Zarine does not return soon, her body will die. Perhaps she will live on in the dream. I do not know.”

The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 53 "A Flow of the Spirit" -- Perrin point of view; with Loial, Moiraine, Lan, at the Star Inn in Tear

An Ogier with Longing, is akin to Faile's situation above. Each has left one place for another, and each will die if they cannot return.

Questions

When an Ogier walks out of a Stedding, is all that is them, flesh and dream walk out too? Or does flesh and dream separate for Ogiers, upon walking physically to Earth?

Ogiers seem to be a kin to the Wolves of a Mirror World, but set in a Parallel World.

Why would Ogiers want to come to a Mirror World called Earth, in the first place? I suspect one part of an answer, has to deal with 'Memory'. Humans born on Earth, in the Flesh, lack memory of their prior souls reincarnations.

Question is have Ogier's memories been altered by placed a Stedding this Mirror World? A fresh beginning? A beginning without nightmares? Are newborn Ogier memories altered? Where are Ogier born, inside or outside the Stedding?

What happens if a Human child is born inside the boundaries of a Stedding? Is that child altered, by something found inside the Parallel World of the Stedding? Are this child's Dreams & Flesh altered? A child who can become a dreamer? A child who's birth was unseen by the Dark One? A child who didn't drink, what normal human child drank upon birth--thus, possesses more memories from prior reincarnations (e.g. 'Old Blood')?

Do Ogiers dream differently if physically in a Stedding versus if Ogier are physically outside a Stedding walking around Earth?

Moiraine said, “Loial?”

“My dreams are always the same, Moiraine Sedai. The groves, and the Great Trees, and the stedding. We Ogier always dream of the stedding when we are away from them.”

The Great Hunt, Chapter 6 "The Hunt Begins" -- Perrin point of view; with Loial, Lan, Uno, Min, Moiraine

What does Loial dream of, inside of a Stedding?

Ogiers midst merging Worlds: Stedding's Parallel, Earth's Dream & Flesh, Dark One's Chaos

On a related note, as bad as things are on Earth with a 'World of Flesh' merging with its 'World of Dream' (TAR/Wolf Dream etc)... the Ogier a group can survive that. A Mirror World becoming a Parallel World. The main problem for the Ogier as a group, is the Parallel Worlds of the Stedding are literally dying, as of ToM book. For Ogier to survive long-term they need Trees, yet the Dark One is killing the Trees. Destroying Souls.

My biggest issue though is ok you can transport objects and people from world to world. But how do you take part of a world and fuse it with another while still keeping certain characteristics.

A Female with a Strong Mind using Imagination and Belief that 'the two are the same'.

Birgitte once did this very thing, remember the 'Silver Arrow'?

Doing so in a place outside the Pattern--Vacuole, Void, World of Chaos or Skimming--one can re-create or re-start or re-boot a given Pattern.

A Pattern is a Dream. Be it, of Flesh and Dream as found in a Parallel World like the Steddings, or of separate Flesh and Dream as found on Earth in "New Spring: the Novel".

Nynaeve al'Meara is this Pattern's re-booter. Nynaeve's the one to turn the Wheel and fix things. She will heal Death. A Creator.

Did he think the Creator had decided to stretch out a merciful hand after three thousand years of suffering? The Creator had made the world and then left humankind to make of it what they would, a heaven or the Pit of Doom by their choosing. The Creator had made many worlds, watched each flower or die, and gone on to make endless worlds beyond. A gardener did not weep for each blossom that fell.

Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 24 "A Strengthening Storm" -- Rand al'Thor point of view; L.T.T. thoughts

In a corner the spit dog was lying at its ease. Glaring at it, Nynaeve mopped sweat from her forehead with her hand and leaned her back into doing the work he should have done. I’d not have put it past them to shove me in his wicker wheel instead of letting me turn this Light-forsaken handle! Aes Sedai! Burn them all! It was a measure of her upset that she used such language, and another that she did not even notice she had done it. She did not think the fire in the long, gray stone fireplace would seem any hotter if she crawled into it. She was sure the brindle dog was grinning at her.

The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 29 "A Trap to Spring" -- Nynaeve al'Meara point of view

This particular Creator doesn't care for Aes Sedai :D

Ishara
07-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I really wish I had access to all of the databases at work :( There was another quote given basically stating that if the Ogier left Randland too early then their world would be destroyed as well. This leads me to believe that the DO is actively in both worlds.

I too am crippled from searching at work, but I thought I would at least point out that the bolded part has to be true. He is a constant in ALL worlds, which makes mwonder what the heck the point is in opening the BoT anyways. But, that's just me.

Marie Curie 7
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
For some reason, I was remembering that because the Seanchan Ogier did not experience a long time away from the stedding during the breaking, they do not experience the Longing at all. But I do not see actual support for that in the quotes.

Yeah, the Ogier in Seanchan never had to be away from the stedding for long because there are more stedding in Seanchan:

TOR Questions of the Week, August 2004-January 2005 (http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html)

Week 3 Question: How do the Seanchan Ogier cope with the Longing, given that their duties in the Deathwatch Guard take them overseas? Are there many stedding in Seanchan?

Robert Jordan Answers: There are many more stedding in Seanchan than there are in the part of the world where the story is taking place, and that is why the Seanchan Ogier don't suffer from the Longing. Because there are so many more stedding, they were able to find them more easily even during the Breaking and therefore never had the very extended separation that Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean had, though they seldom were able to settle in one for very long until the Breaking ended.

Zombie Sammael
07-29-2011, 04:57 AM
I too am crippled from searching at work, but I thought I would at least point out that the bolded part has to be true. He is a constant in ALL worlds, which makes mwonder what the heck the point is in opening the BoT anyways. But, that's just me.

He's a constant in all Mirror Worlds. I'm not sure about Parallel Worlds.

GonzoTheGreat
07-29-2011, 05:27 AM
He's a constant in all Mirror Worlds. I'm not sure about Parallel Worlds.Do you have any support from the books for that doubt? The passages I know of that mention this issue (like the one in TDR where Verin explains it to Egwene) claim that the DO is indeed a constant in all of them.

Zombie Sammael
07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Do you have any support from the books for that doubt? The passages I know of that mention this issue (like the one in TDR where Verin explains it to Egwene) claim that the DO is indeed a constant in all of them.

I can't find the passage you're referring to, I'm afraid, though I dimly remember it - do you know chapter?

In any case, the support I would claim is that the distinction between Mirror Worlds and Parallel Worlds has always been a fine one, and not necessarily one that's fully understood either by us or the characters. There may be more, to do with the nature of the pattern and the way it relates to other worlds as well, but I'm at work right now and don't have my books to hand.

Marie Curie 7
07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Something I've never seen mentioned but thought of several times over the years:

Perhaps the Steadings are actually remnants of our world that retain its original laws of nature, while the rest of the world's laws were changed to allow the OP (and TP) to work. We have rumors of things left over from much older ages that don't seem to involve the OP in their operation (e.g. wolfbrothers).

In this case, the Book of Translation might only work in Steadings because whatever it uses is inconsistent with the laws of nature needed to make the OP work. This could also be involved in the failure of OP-based things like preservation weaves: now and then parts of the world partially revert to Steading-like operation where the weaves stop operating.

In this case, the Ogier wouldn't have anything to do with creating the Steadings, they simply can't stay comfortable in the part of the world where OP-friendly laws of nature hold. The Book of Translation would then simply transport them to another world whose entire laws of nature were OP-free.

Yeah, there have been many theories similar to this one presented and discussed over the years, going way back, at least 10 years and probably more. If Crispy was paying attention, he probably would mention that he wrote one, The Stedding Remnant Theory, which you can find here (http://www.theoryland.com/chronicles.php?user=sdog&page=c).

Here's just a bit of the introduction of the theory:

In the current Age of the Wheel of Time, as well as in the Second Age (the Age of Legends), there are places where the One Power is still unavailable - the Ogier stedding. These stedding may be remnants of the old world, where the One Power was completely unknown to humans.

There also have been other theories presented about the nature of stedding over the years. Weird Harold's idea was kind of an Island Stedding Theory, which essentially stated that the One Power was like an ocean covering the earth, and stedding were like islands sticking up out of the ocean where the One Power was not accessible. You can read a little discussion about that here (http://theoryland.yuku.com/reply/51486#reply-51486).

A couple of other interesting stedding discussions are here (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/4140/The-stedding-problem-revisited-a-new-question?page=1#.TjNKsb-pNg4) and here (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/4140#.TjNe9r-pNg5) (just a couple out of many).

Sorry I am sure this has been discussed as well but the search button scripting is disabled on my work computer for some reason. I have had another theory concerning the "Song" for a while now. I believe that it is going to be an ancient Ogier song that will allow the forces of the light to regrow life within the blight and force it back into Shayol Ghul. I have an odd feeling though that only those who have no malice towards any living thing(The Tuatha'an) will be able to sing it.

I have always wondered if that is how the Aiel failed the Aes Sedai. If their original purpose was to use the song to hold off the blight and when the Aiel split, the song was forgotten.

We most likely saw the Song when Rand went back in time through his ancestor's eyes in the glass columns of Rhuidean:

TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 26 - The Dedicated

The Ogier began it, as was fitting, standing to sing, great bass rumbles like the earth singing. The Aiel rose, men's voices lifting in their own song, even the deepest at a higher pitch than the Ogier's. Yet the songs braided together, and Someshta took those threads and wove them into his dance, gliding across the field in swooping strides, arms wide, butterflies swirling about him, landing on his spread fingertips.

Coumin could hear the seed singing around the other fields, hear the women clapping to urge the men on, their rhythm the heartbeat of new life, but it was a distant knowledge. The song caught him up, and he almost felt that it was himself, not the sounds he made, that Someshta wove into the soil and around the seeds. Seeds no longer, though. Zemais sprouts covered the field, taller wherever the Nym's foot had trod. No blight would touch those plants, nor any insect; seed sung, they would eventually grow twice as high as a man and fill the town's grainbarns. This was what he had been born for, this song and the other seed songs. He did not regret the fact that the Aes Sedai had passed him over at ten, saying he lacked the spark. To have been trained as Aes Sedai would have been wondrous, but surely no more so than this moment.

The song faded slowly, the Aiel guiding its end. Someshta danced a few steps more after the last voices ceased, and it seemed the song still hung faintly in the air for as long as he moved. Then he stopped, and it was done.

It's a song for enhancing the growth of plants, involving Nym, Ogier, and the Da'shain Aiel, as the BWB explains:

TITLE: BWB
CHAPTER: 3 - The Age of Legends

Farmland produced optimum yield through use of the One Power. In a method called seed singing, Ogier (a separate race of beings gifted with the ability to aid and enhance growing things), Nym, and Da'shain Aiel worked as a team, focusing the One Power to insure perfect growth for every field they sang. Sung crops were immune to blight and impervious to insects. As a result, most crops reached their best possible growth and highest nutritional content. Aes Sedai also manipulated the weather to best advantage. Droughts, floods, and other natural disasters were apparently unknown.

Most importantly, the Song won't be needed to restore the Blight. When the Dark One is resealed, the Blight will presumably recede and the plants will be healed:

Knife of Dreams book tour 20 October 2005 Robert Mee reporting

RJ: When the Blight receded in The Eye of the World, the plants actually healed (new plants didn't immediately appear from elsewhere).

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2011, 04:39 AM
I can't find the passage you're referring to, I'm afraid, though I dimly remember it - do you know chapter?It's here:
"Very good. But the Pattern may be even more complex than that, child. The Wheel weaves our lives to make the Pattern of an Age, but the Ages themselves are woven into the Age Lace, the Great Pattern. Who can know if this is even the tenth part of the weaving, though? Some in the Age of Legends apparently believe that there were still other worlds even harder to reach than the worlds of the Portal Stones, if that can be believed lying like this." She drew more lines, cross-hatching the first set. For a moment she stared at them. "The warp and the woof of the weave. Perhaps the Wheel of Time weaves a still greater Pattern from worlds." Straightening, she dusted her hands. "Well, that is neither here nor there. In all of these worlds, whatever their other variations, a few things are constant. One is that the Dark One is imprisoned in all of them."
In spite of herself, Egwene stepped closer to peer at the lines Verin had drawn. "In all of them? How can that be? Are you saying there is a Father of Lies for each world?" The thought of so many Dark Ones made her shiver.
"No, child. There is one Creator, who exists everywhere at once for all of these worlds. In the same way, there is only one Dark One, who also exists in all of these worlds at once. If he is freed from the prison the Creator made in one world, he is freed on all. So long as he is kept prisoner in one, he remains imprisoned on all."
"That does not seem to make sense," Egwene protested.
"Paradox, child. The Dark One is the embodiment of paradox and chaos, the destroyer of reason and logic, the breaker of balance, the unmaker of order."