PDA

View Full Version : It's trading time...

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Should be a trade filled day today in baseball. Looks like Griffey is going to the White Sox, and who knows what is going on with Manny. It will be interesting to see what goes down today. Maybe we'll have some unexpected trades. :D

Davian93
07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
The Yankees have made a killing so far with the Nady/Marte deal and the Pudge deal (Pudge is very quietly having a great year behind the plate) They didn't even give much up in either deal. I wish the Phillies had a GM like that...and a farm system like theirs as well.

Manny will likely be a Fish by the end of the day and the Griffey deal doesn't really make sense as the White Sox already have 3 good OFs and a DH...but Kenny Williams usually knows what he is doing.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
The Nady/Marte deal killed me, as a Buccos fan. The Yankees had to have slipped the Pirates owners a lot of money under the table to pull that off. And you're right, Pudge was another steal... man, I hate the Yankees.

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-31-2008, 09:55 AM
I thought my husband was kidding when he said they traded Pudge. We hate Todd Jones, (closer who was just yanked) and this is all his fault. Farnsworth is NOT worth Pudge, not by a long shot.

My Tigers have given up again.

sigh.

Davian93
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
No...the Tigers are so desperate for bullpen help that they managed to convince themselves that Farnsworth is a good reliever despite his penchance for melting down in anything that even resembles a pressure situation. He also can't pitch on consecutive days. He may throw hard (high 90's...even 100 at times) but its a very flat fastball with no movement. Good luck Kyle.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Just saw on ESPN that Griffey accepted the deal to the White Sox. It looks like the Reds will get Masset and Richar...

Davian93
07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Just saw on ESPN that Griffey accepted the deal to the White Sox. It looks like the Reds will get Masset and Richar...

Richer is alright and plays a decent 2B I believe...I've never seen Massett before but he's 25, throws mid 90's with a sharp curve according to the scouting report I just read. His control is an issue though (which is why even with those 2 pitches he's not in the majors).

Zaela Sedai
07-31-2008, 01:01 PM
If this Manny deal goes through (which I now hope it does with the "Boston doesn't deserve a player like me" line) I'd like to personally thank Spammer for the Pirates stocking the AL East with their best players.

guess football and hockey is enough for you guys?

Manny signed off on everything, now its a matter of the money going to the Marlins

Davian93
07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Right now the word is that the Manny deal is dead...at least the 3 way version...we'll see if he actually gets dealt. I'm starting to doubt it at this point.

Zaela Sedai
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
the 1:05 blog said it was almost dead. There was a 1:38 blog wlsewhere that said it was almost done I believe. We'll see. He needs to get out. He took 5.6 seconds to run to first last night ....and not on a fly ball..

Zaela Sedai
07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
No Deal...should be fun the rest of the year...

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
If this Manny deal goes through (which I now hope it does with the "Boston doesn't deserve a player like me" line) I'd like to personally thank Spammer for the Pirates stocking the AL East with their best players.

guess football and hockey is enough for you guys?

It doesn't look like it is going through, thank goodness. If we lose Bay...

BTW, our football and hockey teams have owners that actually care.

Zaela Sedai
07-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Ugh...Rays looking at bay...us in last min talks with the Dodgers....

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
The Dodgers would want Manny? Or is it someone else?

Davian93
07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Its Official: Jason Bay is now a Ray!!!

They got a good SS prospect and an MLB ready pitcher in return...

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
:mad:

I'm ready to give up. If the two players the Pirates got for Bay actually do play well, we'll just trade them again for more prospects.

Ugh. :eek:

Davian93
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
:mad:

I'm ready to give up. If the two players the Pirates got for Bay actually do play well, we'll just trade them again for more prospects.

Ugh. :eek:

Apparently the deal is not actually finalized though it had been reported as a done deal about 30 min ago.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Apparently the deal is not actually finalized though it had been reported as a done deal about 30 min ago.
Yeah, they're saying there is still a question mark on it, though I bet it happens.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Now they are saying the Bay deal with the Rays is off and Manny is heading to LA with Bay heading to Boston.

Zaela Sedai
07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Little to fast there Dav

NOW its official

Bay is a Red Sock, Manny's a Dodger with a F'ed up clubhouse and Torre..
And Spammer should be estatic...I can't believe we gave up Moss AND Hanson PLUS paid for Manny's contract.

Pirates ran away like kids stealing candy....Hopefully Bay produces and doesn't take a year to come round like Drew.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Spammer is very estatic. :D

Sinistrum
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
*sigh* I was hoping the Astros would move Tejada for prospects before the deadline but it looks like Ed Wade and Drayton Mclane are still delusional about their ability to contend this year. Stoopid Astros.

tanaww
07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I never hated Pudge until today. Now I will forever. What about Griffey going to the White Sox? Will it matter?

pops taer
07-31-2008, 08:54 PM
If I were the Sox, I would be glad to get rid of that SOB. He's no better than Bonds on that part. And if I were a National League Pitcher and the first to face him, I would be happy to pay the fine for knocking him on his egotistical arse with my first pitch. And if by chance the Umpire took it as an accident, I would make sure he knew it was no accident by knocking him down again with the next pitch. Saying Boston doesn't deserve him is like saying I don't give a damn about the fans that pay his salary!!!!!!!!!!

Dirty, No Good, S O B, !@#$ !@#$%^&*k !@#$%^&*

Sorry, I cant stand that type idiot!!!!

Marie Curie 7
07-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Eh, I'd say that the best trade was made a couple of weeks ago. I just got back from Milwaukee, where I got to see two of the games in the four-game sweep of the Cubs over the Brewers. :)

In today's game, I was sitting in the 11th row, directly behind the Brewer's on-deck circle, and got to see Rich Harden get his first win for the Cubs. Harden was very impressive, going seven innings and giving up just one run. He's actually pitched well enough in all four starts to get wins -- the Cubs just didn't come through in his previous starts. Here's what he's done as a Cub: 1-1, 1.11 ERA in 4 games, 24.1 innings, 14 hits, 3 ER, 8 BB, and 39 SO.

And not only has Rich Harden been a wonderful acquisition for the Cubs, Chad Gaudin (the other Oakland player that the Cubs acquired in the trade) has been great in relief (2-1, 1.54 ERA in 11.2 innings, 8 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, and 13 SO).

The other game I attended in Milwaukee was Tuesday night, and Carlos Zambrano also looked impressive in the Cubs 7-1 win, which was the 12th of the season for Big Z.

And thank you San Diego/St. Louis for Jim Edmonds, who hit two homers today, one a grand slam, pretty much putting the Brewers out of the game. This series was great - the Cubs pretty much demolished the Brewers (outscoring them 31-11 in the four game series), and went from a tie for first place with the Brewers on Saturday to a five game lead over both the Brewers and Cardinals today. :)

Davian93
08-01-2008, 07:03 AM
*sigh* I was hoping the Astros would move Tejada for prospects before the deadline but it looks like Ed Wade and Drayton Mclane are still delusional about their ability to contend this year. Stoopid Astros.

Considering what Ed Wade has gotten in the past when he trades All-stars (i.e. Schilling, Rolen) you should count yourself lucky he didn't make a deal like that. BTW, Ed Wade is the worst GM in all of baseball and I'm so so happy he's not the Phillies GM anymore.

RogueSavior
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'd like to publicly thank the Red Sox for admitting their inferiority and trading away Manny Ramirez. Again - I'd like to point out that the Yankees got the better Pirate Outfielder, and stole Pudge for a reliever they weren't enamored with anymore.

Now if we could only get Joba back into the bullpen, I'd be ecstatic....

Anyways, Trade Deadline predictions:

AL West - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (umm... duh?)
AL Central - Minnesota Twins (I think they catch them. Trading for Griffey answered zero needs for the white sox)
AL East - Tampa Bay Rays/ New York Yankees
Wild Card - Tampa Bay Rays/New York Yankees - The Red Sox are a fucked up team, mental-wise, just as the Yankees have began clicking. Even Cano is hitting (and let me say... FINALLY FUCKER! You were supposed to compete for the batting title. You should be a Twin right now so we could have Johan - would that have made you hit, to be sent back to our minor league squad?) Pudge replaces Molina's pathetic bat, and Nady lets us never have to use Johnny Damon to field again. It's wonderful. The Rays also seem to be playing with a why the fuck not attitude that usually can carry a team into the playoffs, at least.

NL East - Philadelphia Phillies - playing the best ball in the National League, despite the Cubs' throttling of Milwaukee this week.
NL Central - Chicago Cubs - that was probably the most important 4 game series of this division race
NL West - LA Dodgers - Manny Ramirez allows them to catch an underachieving Diamondbacks squad that can't score on the road.
NL Wildcard - Milwaukee Brewers or New York Mets. I can see either of these teams taking it - the Mets seem to be the superior team, but Milwaukee has the easier schedule. We'll see

Awards:
AL MVP - Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers - Leader in HR and RBIs... just kidding. It's A-Rod. Second in HRs, tops in BA (thus far), on a playoff team. Hamilton's having a MONSTER year, but Texas is nowhere near the playoffs, and I won't vote for an MVP whose team isn't at least in the hunt.
AL Cy Young - Cliff Lee, Cleveland Indians. the best pitcher in the AL by far. Second in ERA, tied for 1st in Wins on an average at best team... It's Lee's award to lose.
AL Rookie of the Year - Is Evan Longoria eligible? If so - Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner

NL MVP - Chase Utley, Philly Phillies - Monster year, great team. Obvious choice. Note - if the Brewers make the playoffs, I could see Ryan Braun's year stealing this spot away. Seriously, take a look, folks!
NL Cy Young - Carlos Zambrano, Chicago Cubs
NL Rookie of the Year - Kosuke Fukudome - Winner of both best name and best Rookie in the same year? Well done, sir!

World Series: Angels over Cubs

Marie Curie 7
08-02-2008, 02:24 PM
AL MVP - Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers - Leader in HR and RBIs... just kidding. It's A-Rod. Second in HRs, tops in BA (thus far), on a playoff team. Hamilton's having a MONSTER year, but Texas is nowhere near the playoffs, and I won't vote for an MVP whose team isn't at least in the hunt.

Yeah, it hasn't happened very often, but Andre Dawson for example won the MVP award in 1987 as a member of the Cubs - they finished in last place that year.

Maybe, but if he continues to pitch as well as he has been, I could see Ryan Dempster winning it instead of Zambrano. Their stats are very similar so far (both 12-4, Dempster 2.90 ERA vs. 2.80 for Zambrano, etc.), but you could make the case that Dempster's performance has been more impressive given that he converted from being a closer last year.

NL Rookie of the Year - Kosuke Fukudome - Winner of both best name and best Rookie in the same year? Well done, sir!

I'd say this would be pretty close between Fukudome and Geovany Soto, and I'd give it to Soto. :)

tanaww
08-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Marie, no comment about RS's World Series prediction? I think I should tell you how rare and painful it is for him to say good things about the Cubs. He nearly never does it.

Marie Curie 7
08-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Marie, no comment about RS's World Series prediction? I think I should tell you how rare and painful it is for him to say good things about the Cubs. He nearly never does it.

Well, he did pick the Cubs to lose. :p

And in a previous post I was going on about how the Cubs extended their lead to 5 games with their sweep of the Brewers, and then they came home on Friday and were shut out by the Pirates. :( So, I'm not going to talk about the standings any more until closer to the end of the season -- I don't want to jinx them! :D

Ozymandias
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
NL MVP - Chase Utley, Philly Phillies - Monster year, great team. Obvious choice. Note - if the Brewers make the playoffs, I could see Ryan Braun's year stealing this spot away. Seriously, take a look, folks!

World Series: Angels over Cubs

Firstly, Chase Utley has no real shot at the MVP. His monster year has really been a monster 2 months followed by a pretty crappy 2 months. He's batting like what? .280 with 6 HR since the end of May? He had an insane first two months and has slowed down a lot. Howard has a better chance, with his likely 50 HR and a potential .250 BA and RBI title. Lance Berkman seems a better choice. But we'll see.

And don't be so sure about the Phillies over the Mets in the East. As the Phils pen continues to decline back to the mean, they'll lose more games. And if it weren't for the Mets bullpen, they'd be 6 games up in the division. Biilly Wagner is either perfect or terrible. He never lets up one run and gets the save... always blows it or goes 1-2-3

Davian93
08-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Two things:

1. Utley has been playing hurt since early June. He won't be the MVP though...unless he suddenly turns it on and has an insane final 2 months. Its too wide open for anyone to know who will be the NL MVP right now. There's like 10 legit candidates right now and Berkman isnt one of them. I dont buy the MVP on a losing team...yeah he was so valuable to them that htye finished last...that's great.

2. The Mets have the worst bullpen in the NL among contending teams...Wagner blew another one tonight which gives him the most blown saves in the league...yeah he's an all-star.

Ozymandias
08-03-2008, 06:36 AM
2. The Mets have the worst bullpen in the NL among contending teams...Wagner blew another one tonight which gives him the most blown saves in the league...yeah he's an all-star.

Its not the worst... but its bad. Wagner was no All-Star... Reyes should have been an all star (he actually deserved it, unquestionably the 2nd best SS in the league)... didn't Wagner blow the AS game too? Lol.

irerancincpkc
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I must say, to any Red Sox fans, looks like Bay is fitting in nicely. Scored all the runs his first game and nails a homer in his second. With good batters all around him pitchers won't be able to pitch around him like they did in Pittsburgh, and with Fenway being smaller than PNC Park, I'd expect his HR's to increase...

Zaela Sedai
08-03-2008, 07:56 PM
If Bay keeps it up we will have lost no talent. He's no Manny Ramirez of old, but neither is Manny Ramirez. The clubhouse just looks happy again, and I think RS may need to shut his mouth till his team is out of 3rd in the AL East :p LOL

Nice to have a sweep after the mess we've been through. Hopefully we do as well on the road.

Davian93
08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Bay: 2 for 4, batting .364 so far for the Sox.

tanaww
08-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I think RS may need to shut his mouth .

/agree

Marie Curie 7
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Ha. Looks like the Brewers are self destructing (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=280804117&prov=ap). :)

irerancincpkc
08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think they are self destructing. They have been performing badly recently; maybe this will get their minds off it.

And it was just shoving, no punches. Little stuff. :D

RogueSavior
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
To be fair, a shove from Prince Fielder probably feels like a punch from a normal person.

And, as further evidence that Joba belongs in the bullpen, I present to you yesterday's 5th inning against Texas. He Can't Last Long Enough to start. 100 mph fastballs belong in the pen.