PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing to say the least

Brita
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
We are all a little shaken up over this (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html)at the office.

Davian93
07-31-2008, 01:31 PM
We are all a little shaken up over this (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html)at the office.

Good Lord...that's horrible. :(

Ishara
07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, it's being talked about here too...it's just awful.

Crispin's Crispian
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, it's being talked about here too...it's just awful.
There were little kids on the bus too, and they witnessed it. How terrible.

Is this going to lead to searches and x-rays to ride Greyhound?

Davian93
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
There were little kids on the bus too, and they witnessed it. How terrible.

Or hopefully common sense takes over and everyone realizes its a really out there incident that's not likely to recur.

irerancincpkc
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Yikes. That's sad... :(

pops taer
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow...sick, sad and disheartening!!!!!!!

JSUCamel
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow, that's... horrifying.

Brita
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM

I imagine Greyhound business might drop off for a while. I always found it a little creepy when I rode the Greyhound (back in my college years), sleeping next to a complete stranger. For some reason it was creepier than airplane travel, which is basically the same thing. Now it will be WAY creepier.

A couple of questions:
1. if someone had a gun (say this happened in Texas) would it have helped?
2. unarmed (as these poor folks obviously were) was there anything they could have done? It seems so tragic that everyone just fled off the bus and then ventured back on when it was too late. Maybe it was already too late, and I'm sure more would have been hurt, but it's just heartbreaking that he died alone with no one trying to help....I don't know... easy to say when I wasn't there.

Sei'taer
07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
A couple of questions:
1. if someone had a gun (say this happened in Texas) would it have helped?
2. unarmed (as these poor folks obviously were) was there anything they could have done? It seems so tragic that everyone just fled off the bus and then ventured back on when it was too late. Maybe it was already too late, and I'm sure more would have been hurt, but it's just heartbreaking that he died alone with no one trying to help....I don't know... easy to say when I wasn't there.

1. Probably it wouldn't have helped the young man that was killed. From the sound of it he was already dead when anyone reacted. A gun would have stopped the beheading and an attack later...when he rushed the men who went on the bus to try to recover the young man.

2. The only way I see, if they were unarmed, would be a Sept. 11 type rush on the killer. In that situatiion though you have to be prepared for your own death by the same killer. On the plane they had no choice. On the bus, they had him trapped and the bus was incapacitated, so I think they did the best they could in that situation.

tworiverswoman
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
It sounds like the man was reacting to PCP (Angel Dust) or something. To go from casually smoking a cigarette to stabbing someone 50-60 times and then decapitating him... Psychotic behavior doesn't BEGIN to describe it.

I agree with Davian that taking extraordinary security measures in the face of a single incident like this would be unwarranted. There will be a heightened awareness of passenger behavior for a few months, perhaps, but I suspect that things will fade back to "business as usual" in not too long a time, when no further attacks of that magnitude occur.

We can only hope the children who saw it are able to get through this without too much damage. I can't imagine it, personally. How ghastly... :(

Sei'taer
07-31-2008, 10:51 PM
He was definitely hopped up on something. If I remember right (I'd have to ask my friend thats a cop to be sure) you smoke PCP in a cigarette...somehow. It could have been something like that.

Matoyak
08-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Whoa. Yeah, that's all...that I can think of...

Side-note: It would be rare, even in Texas, for someone to carry a gun onto a greyhound, unless it was being used as a bad guy's weapon in the first place.

Davian93
08-01-2008, 08:11 AM
He was definitely hopped up on something. If I remember right (I'd have to ask my friend thats a cop to be sure) you smoke PCP in a cigarette...somehow. It could have been something like that.

Yes...you do. Don't ask me why I know that.

Brita
08-01-2008, 01:25 PM
2. The only way I see, if they were unarmed, would be a Sept. 11 type rush on the killer. In that situatiion though you have to be prepared for your own death by the same killer. On the plane they had no choice. On the bus, they had him trapped and the bus was incapacitated, so I think they did the best they could in that situation.

In my head I know you are right- but I just have this visual of being the victim, watching everyone rush off the bus and be thinking "A little help here!?". But can we and should we expect heroic acts from all people in every situation- no. That's why heroic acts are always so touching- they are meant to be exceptional. ~~shakes head to clear the disturbing visual~~

I guess what we can expect is rationale and helpful acts like disabling the bus and trapping the murderer.

Realnow
08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
How can you possibly analyze a news article and ascertain which exact drug he was on..? Seriously, usually if someone is under the influence of anything they mention that. And for you to think you know which drug it was..is truly amazing. Could he not have been simply crazy?

Taking a hit of PCP from a cigarette is NOT gunna mess you up so much you murder someone. Thats idiotic anti-drug propaganda, and this person clearly had mental issues.

Now anyways..when I saw this topic name..I thought Wow, I wonder if whats this is about can compare to the bus slaying..which I heard about yesterday as well. It is pretty ridiculous and astonishing this could happen is the general consensus I think.

I too was surprised that noone immediately reacted to the situation, except for pulling over. You have to assume it was terrifying but also that in the confines of a bus one guy with a knife can't do that much damage to a concerted group effort to disable him.

Davian93
08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
How can you possibly analyze a news article and ascertain which exact drug he was on..? Seriously, usually if someone is under the influence of anything they mention that. And for you to think you know which drug it was..is truly amazing. Could he not have been simply crazy?

LOL...Welcome to Theoryland!

That's what we do here...speculate wildly with little factual evidence to back us up.

tworiverswoman
08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
And besides -- I didn't state it definitively -- it was offered as a possibility only. However, even crazy people operate on SOME kind of inner logic, however twisted. SOMETHING triggered him into an all-out attack. I only know of PCP through report, never having seen it in action, but this kind of insane lethality is definitely associated with that particular drug.

The news article can't offer answers that they've not had time to get, yet. At the time that article was printed, the man hadn't even been QUESTIONED yet, much less had any blood analysis done.

However -- welcome to Theoryland. Enjoy the crazy. :)