PDA

View Full Version : Brandon's vague comment...

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Not sure who all saw his tweet on 8/2, or the follow up...but I found this interesting:

Brandon Sanderson
I wonder if it would be too spoilery to post a running count of significant named #wot characters who have died so far in #AMoL.
August 2 at 11:20pm via Twitter ·LikeUnlike · · @BrandSanderson on Twitte

and then this, which struck me more as an "oops, that might give too much away, I need to cover my tracks":

Brandon Sanderson
Granted, that count might be 0 so far, so no spoilers yet. I'm just saying... It could be fun to start a count.
August 2 at 11:28pm via Twitter ·LikeUnlike · · @BrandSanderson on Twitte

I have always assumed we would lose a few of our favorites...whether good guys or bad guys. My money is still on one of the super-girls (Eg, Nyn or Elayne) not making it through to the end.

GonzoTheGreat
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
My money is still on one of the super-girls (Eg, Nyn or Elayne) not making it through to the end.Elayne will survive (her kids, remember), and Nynaeve is needed for resurrecting Malkier. So I heartily approve of your plan. How are we gonna make it come true?

Zombie Sammael
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I saw the Tweet in question. I think without further information anything we say is speculation, but I would say Rand is definitely in trouble. Whether Brandon would count him as a major character "death" would be interesting, though.

Terez
08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Brandon has said before that he gets to play headsman at the Last Battle, that we can expect a 'surprising number of deaths'.

Isabel
08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I think Gawyn will die :P :P (and hope)

But seriously: would Perrin be a candidate for dying? Is there any real evidence he is alive after the last battle?
Besides the broken crown, which could be interpreted differently.

Terez
08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I think Gawyn will die :P :P (and hope)

But seriously: would Perrin be a candidate for dying? Is there any real evidence he is alive after the last battle?
Besides the broken crown, which could be interpreted differently.
Brandon hinted that Leane's line about him wearing a crown was foreshadowing, so it's not so easy to interpret that one differently any more. Some would say that's not what he meant, but he said it was specifically something I'd picked at and wondered if it meant anything. I know what I've picked at and what I haven't, and it's the only explanation that makes sense. Of course, he could wear the crown and then die, but it doesn't seem likely.

Davian93
08-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I think, off the top of my head that the following have a very good chance of not making it:

Rand
Egwene
Rhuarc
Davram
Ituralde
Dobraine
Perrin or Faile or both
Gawyn
Galad
Berelain
Numerous Aes Sedai and Ashaman that have names that we've met.

Isabel
08-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Three Ta'veren

From the three ta'veren Perrin is the most likely to die and remain dead. The comment of Perrin wearing a crown and speaking in high chant and the broken crown could also refer to something that will happen in aMoL.

Rand will die and be resurrected, or that's the biggest chance. It's unlikely he will be resurrected and be killed off.

We know Mat will survive the last battle.

Super girls + Lan

- Egwene: possible candidate for dying. Are there any visions of her after the last battle or things she needs to do?

- Nynaeve: unless RJ messed up in the eotw or we interpreted it wrongly, Nynaeve will live to give Lan a child and to ressurect Rand.

- Lan : Hopefully he won't die. It would be unlikely he dies before we know Nyn is pregnant.

- Elayne: Will stay alive untill she gives birth. Which will be after the last battle. (unless the stress of the last battle makes them come early)

Davian93
08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
More and more I think Egwene has been set up for a glorious (and likely annoying) death in aMoL.

Terez
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Super girls + Lan

- Egwene: possible candidate for dying. Are there any visions of her after the last battle or things she needs to do?
Nope. Just the assumption that she'll be Amyrlin forever, since that is how it seems things are going. But that's just a common assumption based mostly on the idea that RJ won't kill her off. She still has dreams to fulfill...mainly the Seanchan woman dreams...but that can happen before she dies.

Nynaeve: unless RJ messed up in the eotw or we interpreted it wrongly, Nynaeve will live to give Lan a child and to ressurect Rand.Some interpret that viewing as Lan's oath becoming very important (as it did in TOM) - the baby and sword were symbolic of that oath, in the same way that a crown can be symbolic of someone becoming king or queen. Technically she doesn't have to be alive to resurrect Rand if she's a Hero, but there are the prescripts.

Elayne: Will stay alive untill she gives birth. Which will be after the last battle. (unless the stress of the last battle makes them come early)It's unlikely, since she appears to be busy with Rand in several prophecies, mainly the boat ones.

jana
08-09-2011, 11:34 AM
sorry, but I don't see this series suddenly turning into a deathfest for the main characters, even in the last book. He said named. I'm sure he means people that we barely give a crap about, plus maybe one secondary and one main character, or something. I see a bunch of Naleseans dying.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I read it as the central cast and immediate secondary folk

significant named #wot characters

bold is mine

Frenzy
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Brandon has said before that he gets to play headsman at the Last Battle, that we can expect a 'surprising number of deaths'.

Surprising may be zero, since we all expect blood. Then again, BS killed of lots of main characters in Mistborn, so...

Min's the easiest main character to kill. Seeing the future isn't useful at the end of the story, she isn't critical to a nation or people, and she's beloved by fans so there'd be a huge emotional impact.

Tamyrlin
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Surprising may be zero, since we all expect blood. Then again, BS killed of lots of main characters in Mistborn, so...

Min's the easiest main character to kill. Seeing the future isn't useful at the end of the story, she isn't critical to a nation or people, and she's beloved by fans so there'd be a huge emotional impact.

In TEoTW in that chapter I was recently reading in Rand's dream he sees Min in the hands of Trollocs...iirc. I can see Min dying.

Davian93
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
So, to clarify, Brandon is the one making this decision, its not coming from RJ's notes?

That worries me.

Ishara
08-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Not me! Maybe people will stay dead for once! :p

Terez
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Surprising may be zero, since we all expect blood.
In that case, Brandon would have lied when he said he gets to play headsman.

Then again, BS killed of lots of main characters in Mistborn, so...Brandon assured us that all these deaths are in the notes. Here, I'll stop being lazy and fetch a quote. :D

The Gathering Storm book tour - Chicago Borders 28 October 2009 - Peter Binkowski reporting (http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=887)

There are a surprising amount of deaths in the notes, so I get to play headsman.
Min's the easiest main character to kill. Seeing the future isn't useful at the end of the story, she isn't critical to a nation or people, and she's beloved by fans so there'd be a huge emotional impact.She has to make it at least as far as the boat. And the pyre, and the funeral bier. (Whichever you think comes first.)

Davian93
08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe Min will be felled by a congenital heart defect moments after Rand's boat goes off to Avalon...

I'm happy the deaths are in the notes already too...not that I dont trust BS but I'd like it to be RJ's ending.

They could always go the Rowling route and kill off everyone BUT Rand and have Rand's "death" be faked.

Terez
08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe we should keep a list of people we know won't die. It's probably a relatively short list.

Won't die in AMOL

Mat
Tuon
Aviendha
Loial? (he could technically die, and someone finishes his book from his notes and drafts)
Bael? (he survived in the future Aviendha saw, but that might change)
Darlin
Caraline
Nesune

Could maybe add Faolain to the list. Min implies she's going to have a future that is not unpleasant, but that seems to be connected with this whatever that Faolain is working on, which might be something that comes into play at the Black Tower, where she dies. Min doesn't see everything, so it's hard to say.

lucky with dice
08-09-2011, 01:11 PM
usually in fantasy novels you see the older (teacher) generation heavily depleted if not entirely wiped out.

rhuarc
tam
thom
moiraine
bashere
logain
siuan
bryne
morgase

plus obviously all of the forsaken, maybe one will be left alive for an interesting scene near the end. lanfear or moridin.

Terez
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
usually in fantasy novels you see the older (teacher) generation heavily depleted if not entirely wiped out.

rhuarc
tam
thom
moiraine
bashere
logain
siuan
bryne
morgase

plus obviously all of the forsaken, maybe one will be left alive for an interesting scene near the end. lanfear or moridin.
All of those guys in the list are available targets, to be sure, but Thom and Moiraine have to get married first, and Siuan and Bryne would have to be separated (which might happen, because Siuan thinks that viewing is already fulfilled). But I would be very surprised to see even half of them die. The most likely to die on the list is Bashere, but Rhuarc is probably not far behind him.

jana
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I read it as the central cast and immediate secondary folk

bold is mine

I saw the "significant" the first time and my opinion stands. However, people have a wide range of views on which characters are significant, since there are so many in WoT. For example, if Talmanes or Bashere died, I would be upset for about 3 minutes. Some people might consider them secondary. I consider them tertiary. As much as I want some main characters to die (i.e. Perrin), I don't see it happening.

One where I could be very wrong is Lan, but of all of the characters in the entire WoT I think he has the least chance of dying because he's expected to die, he knows he's going to die, he plans on dying. RJ liked to do the opposite of what the characters "knew" was going to happen.

Edit: I'm not including Rand here, 'cause if he dies I think he'll come back to life.

sleepinghour
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Some interpret that viewing as Lan's oath becoming very important (as it did in TOM) - the baby and sword were symbolic of that oath, in the same way that a crown can be symbolic of someone becoming king or queen.

That's how I interpreted the viewing as well—it represents the oath of Malkieri kings sworn at his birth, a title Lan denied until the end of ToM. The seven ruined towers could refer to the annihilation of the Malkieri or that Lan will rebuild those towers.

I think Lan's probably going to make it, or there wouldn't have been a "If you ever meet a Malkieri..." line from Farstrider. It also wouldn't surprise me if the princes from Kandor and Arafel that joined Lan's army are the ones who'll survive the Last Battle and rule the Borderlands alongside him and Perrin/Faile.

Graendal made plans to kill Min in ToM, while Aviendha decided in TGS that she ought to thank Min for unintentionally provoking her into confronting the Wise Ones. So my guess is that Aviendha will return the favor by saving Min from Graendal or an assassin sent by her. Avi still has the angreal from Elayne, so she might be able to take on Graendal unless Graendal's angreal is a good deal stronger.

Yellowbeard
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm not going to speculate on who lives and dies.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Demandred survive and live on happily diguised as the King of Murandy! Might be kind of cool actually.

I am going to pray for horrifying deaths for Faile and Cadsuane, though. The whole rescue Faile plot that derailed things until recently just pissed me off. And Cadsuane is just a major b****!

I'm hoping for Egwene and Gawyn to go out in a blaze of glory.

I'd like to see Lan live, but I don't think he'll survive his charge at Tarwin's Gap.

Min, Elayne, and Avienda will survive to take a trip on Rand's boat after Tarmon Gaidon.

Which leaves Nynaeve freed up for death.

And the Aiel leaders...Clan Chiefs, Wise Ones...there should be a healthy culling of the herd there.

I know Mat and Tuon live, but I can still entertain wishful thinking for Tuon to be a deep fried trolloc snack.

Perrin...he'd be good going out in a blaze of glory too while charging w/ the wolves, but I think he's gonna be a king when it's all said and done.

Moiraine and Thom can marry ASAP, and then die in the front ranks at TG.

In fact, I'd like to see most of the Aes Sedai and Asha'man end up getting fragged.

It'd be kinda cool if Fain survived...not gonna happen, but would be kina cool.

You killed Tam! You bastards!

Crispin's Crispian
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm not going to speculate on who lives and dies.
Wait what? ;)

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Demandred survive and live on happily diguised as the King of Murandy! Might be kind of cool actually.
This is an awesome idea. I kind of like the idea of him and Fain surviving, with Fain just capering off into the sunset, and Demandred marrying one of the Aiel WOs or something.

Terez
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I like it too. But since it's not going to happen, I prefer that he get buttraped by Shaidar Haran.

Davian93
08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I like it too. But since it's not going to happen, I prefer that he get buttraped by Shaidar Haran.

He might like that too much.

see Demandred survive and live on happily diguised as the King of Murandy! Might be kind of cool actually.

And...Sir Not Appearing in This Book Series

Terez
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
He might like that too much.
I think I would actually like it more if he enjoyed it.

Davian93
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I think I would actually like it more if he enjoyed it.

Well, it would cover the promise of having an openly gay character so its kinda a two birds with one stone type of ending.

Terez
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) Brandon has indicated that it's not an evil character.

Davian93
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) Brandon has indicated that it's not an evil character.

Fain's not evil...just misunderstood.

WinespringBrother
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Brandon has stated that the Pattern is fraying (re: the changing window in the Hall of the Tower in tel'aran'rhiod) and that puts the accuracy of all the viewings and foretellings into question. I'd like to see at least one of these totally fall flat unfulfilled just to shake things up. So potentially the only person we know who survives is Bela (per Brandon).

A few heroic deaths following in Noal's tradition would be appreciated!

JOS
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I am going to pray for horrifying deaths for Faile and Cadsuane, though. The whole rescue Faile plot that derailed things until recently just pissed me off. And Cadsuane is just a major b****!

LMAO! Perrin has been built up as a tragic character, so I think Faile's death is likely. Last time I suggested it (on Linda's blog) a lot of people got really emotional and defensive. There will be a riot in the streets. I think Cads is ready to die already, her work is pretty much done.

I'm hoping for Egwene and Gawyn to go out in a blaze of glory.

I think Egwene has been built up as an invincible force of nature type character, but Gawyn is passionate and unpredictable. I think he's toast. She will be sad for a chapter, and get over it.

Min, Elayne, and Avienda will survive to take a trip on Rand's boat after Tarmon Gaidon.

Then the boat will crash ...

And the Aiel leaders...Clan Chiefs, Wise Ones...there should be a healthy culling of the herd there.

This would make me sad. But I think you are right. Death in battle, or death singing "The Song" is still death. They will embrace death either way of course.

Moiraine and Thom can marry ASAP, and then die in the front ranks at TG.

Not sure about this, Thom seems to be the perennial survivor.

In fact, I'd like to see most of the Aes Sedai and Asha'man end up getting fragged.

I have no doubt this will happen. The gateway dude (Androl?) will survive.

It'd be kinda cool if Fain survived...not gonna happen, but would be kina cool.

All I know is he changes so rapidly that he won't be the same Fain in aMoL that was in ToM, dead or "alive".

jana
08-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Brandon has stated that the Pattern is fraying and that puts the accuracy of all the viewings and foretellings into question.
He said the Pattern is fraying, and you're assuming that puts them into question, or he said the pattern is fraying and that puts the accuracy into question?

JOS
08-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Fain's not evil...just misunderstood.

Yeah, Semirhage too!

Terez
08-09-2011, 03:47 PM
He said the Pattern is fraying, and you're assuming that puts them into question, or he said the pattern is fraying and that puts the accuracy into question?
Actually, RJ himself said that. That quote was missing in the database for a long time because I'd somehow missed it, but I put it in after TOM when I saw Linda cite it.

Knife of Dreams book tour, Santa Cruz, CA 29 October 2005 - hermano de lobos reporting (http://theoryland.yuku.com/sreply/201153/t/some-other-interesting-question-found-on-wotmania.html)

...One person asked something to the effect of 'How valid are the viewings and prophecies, given that the Pattern has been loosened?' There was also a comment by the person about how the viewings and prophecies are readings of the Pattern.
Jordan responded (not word for word): The viewings and prophecies that occurred before the loosening of the Pattern are very valid. But those that occurred at, or after, the loosening have a higher chance of not coming true.

Crispin's Crispian
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM
This is dealt with in the books, as well.

"We've just spent all afternoon drilling this girl about her visions." Corele nodded to Min. "They always come true, and she's seen things that obviously can't happen until after the Last Battle. So we know that Rand is going to defeat the Dark One. The Pattern has already decided it. We can stop worrying."

"No," Min said. "You're wrong."

Corele frowned. "Child, are you saying that you lied about the things you've seen?"

"No," Min said. "But if Rand loses, there is no Pattern."

"The girl is correct." Cadsuane sounded surprised. "What this child sees are weavings in the Pattern from a time still distant—but if the Dark One wins, he will destroy the Pattern entirely. This is the only way the visions could fail to occur. The same holds for other prophecies and Foretellings. Our victory is by no means sure."

It's not so much about individual prophecies failing as much as it is about the Pattern being gone or broken. No Pattern = no future.

Terez
08-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I think it's about individual prophecies in the context from the RJ quote above. If the prophecy was given before WH or so, then it's absolute (unless it's a Dream, or a forked prophecy). If it's given after, then it's doubtful...but only slightly, probably.

kabkaba
08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
So, to clarify, Brandon is the one making this decision, its not coming from RJ's notes?

That worries me.

I think it only refers to minor but named characters.
I would like none of the main characters to die. Maybe old ones like Rhuarc, Caddy etc., but definitely not the young and important ones.
Some people complain that none of the protagonists die in the series, but note that many irritating baddies like Katerine, Galina, Weiramon, Elaida, Liadrin etc. have survived so far. I am fine with none of the good folks dying. I hate GRRM for this very thing.

Terez
08-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Katerine died in TOM. And Rhuarc is not exactly old...certainly not old enough to be lumped in with Cadsuane like that. She's 300 years old.

Heinz
08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I actually think Moiraine and Siuan and their new/old guys are safe. It could have been for shock value, of course, but I feel like their storylines weren't developed in a manner to have their threads snapped.

Cadsuane, though I'm among the few who actually likes the character, I believe is probably not going to make it. Likely in a blaze of glory befitting the legend of Cadsuane. And obvious enough that no one will wonder when she'll pop up next.

For a while, I wondered if Cadsuane's consideration of a new warder might fall upon Tam, given that he's among the few to stand toe-to-toe to her. He'd seemed just the type she'd like. And given her old age, and Tam not being a spring chicken himself, it made sense. Especially with the Last Battle upon them. But with Cadsuane dying, I'm not certain if I see the same for Tam. Still possible, as perhaps Cadsuane doesn't die or Tam does die, but... all random thoughts on my end.

I suspect the Aiel Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones are going to thin out. The Dreamers especially may have a spectacular end in T'A'R, maybe linked to finding Rand there if the theory of him being 'resurrected' through T'A'R holds.

Likewise, rulers/leaders in Randland. Borderlander kings and queens are likely about to bite it. Bashere and Ituralde as well. Not sure what to think of the rightful kings of Illian and Arad Doman. They've been kicking their heels, and really need to either die or regain posession of their countries. It would seem odd to me to finally find the Domani king, only to have him killed anyway. But hey, we're not meant to expect em all, so who knows. I'm also unsure about Dobraine. I would not be shocked to see him among the casualty list, yet I'm more expecting him to end up as Elayne's regent/steward in Cairhien.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Main thing I originally posted for is that I don't think Moiraine and Siuan die. After that, my mind wandered.

sythmaster
08-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I think Loial is going to have a tragically heroic death [ideally saving someone else last second], but live long enough to force Mat to promise to finish his book.

Forcing the living history book to write about current events...

FelixPax
08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Not sure who all saw his tweet on 8/2, or the follow up...but I found this interesting:

Brandon Sanderson

I wonder if it would be too spoilery to post a running count of significant named #wot characters who have died so far in #AMoL.

August 2 at 11:20pm via Twitter ·LikeUnlike · · @BrandSanderson on Twitter

Prophecies at the very beginning of the series give direct clues of the Armageddon coming. Ditto at the end of Towers of Midnight book.

Death is the end, although the causes are many:

Violence
Lightning
Explosions
Burning, Lava flows
Forest Fires
Lack of oxygen
Flooding (Major cause)
Earthquakes, Mountains folding(Major cause)
Lack of Food, staving to death
Stealing Souls: Black Wind
Bad Thoughts, Dreams

Where to go for the best chance to survive?

Easiest

Tallest points of Sea Folk Islands
Highest pre-Breaking Hills around. Not Mountains.
Underground with a friendly group of Channelers & Dreamers, with character(s).
The Home Village of three Ta'veren boys, in Two Rivers. (Rand will kill himself to save that location.)
Ride out the Storms in the water inside a sealed a Barrel.

Less safe, yet ironically far safer than flat farm fields.

Mixed results for individuals in Cities with large numbers of channelers. Be it, Tar Valon, Ebou Dar, Cairhien.

Enough channelers together can counter-act almost all forms of natural disasters: Lightning, Flooding, Cyclones, Fires, Lack of Oxygen et la.
Enough channelers acting together can halt the Shadow's invading armies.

I have always assumed we would lose a few of our favorites...whether good guys or bad guys. My money is still on one of the super-girls (Eg, Nyn or Elayne) not making it through to the end.

One could kill off almost literally everyone, but Nynaeve, Moghedien, Mat Cauthon, and at least one other individual. Those four absolutely must survive the Last Battle for a new Pattern to be created once again. Otherwise, Brandon has gone off Robert Jordan's script totally.

Southpaw2012
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I think the only two characters in my mind that I could predict dying are Bashere and Cadsuane. Bashere for the obvious and Cadsuane because she's a legend and needs to go out with a bang

Zombie Sammael
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it's about individual prophecies in the context from the RJ quote above. If the prophecy was given before WH or so, then it's absolute (unless it's a Dream, or a forked prophecy). If it's given after, then it's doubtful...but only slightly, probably.

Nah. The reason they would have a higher chance of not coming true would be because the Pattern is already falling apart, i.e. about to be destroyed. The prophecies made before that would either have been fulfilled before that or be fulfilled before the final destruction; only the ones made after predict events that might happen if the pattern is not destroyed.

FelixPax
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Nah. The reason they would have a higher chance of not coming true would be because the Pattern is already falling apart, i.e. about to be destroyed.

Who's to know if Foretellings spoken on Earth can be valid for alternate Mirror Worlds?

The world Earth and Pattern could in theory be killed off. However, three individuals by Dreaming could re-boot the whole Wheel in a new parallel Pattern. Thus, Foretellings seemingly false in one Mirror World reality, called Earth, would be true in another alternate Pattern's Mirror World reality, of Earth.

Lan's Mirror World version pretty much gave clues to Nynaeve al'Meara of the real alternative world possibilities, where everything succeeds. Their Dreams become reality.

The Unreasoner
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Nah. The reason they would have a higher chance of not coming true would be because the Pattern is already falling apart, i.e. about to be destroyed. The prophecies made before that would either have been fulfilled before that or be fulfilled before the final destruction; only the ones made after predict events that might happen if the pattern is not destroyed.

I'm less certain. You need some sort of temporal anchor to 'prophesize'. But if the anchor is unsteady...who knows?

Imagine if Min were in a city fading to mist (as it is a direct attack on the Pattern she may not be able foresee it), but as her own thread begins to fade her viewings go wild. Any viewing made at such a time would be suspect (if any records even remained) because the very facilities that allow foresight might be damaged. Any sort of bubble of evil could disrupt the facilities without the 'prophet' knowing, and therefore Elaida could go on 'Foretelling' unaware that the Pattern is so decayed that she may no longer possess the Talent, or that the mechanism of the Talent no longer exists.

Marie Curie 7
08-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Maybe we should keep a list of people we know won't die. It's probably a relatively short list.

Won't die in AMOL

Mat
Tuon
Aviendha
Loial? (he could technically die, and someone finishes his book from his notes and drafts)
Bael? (he survived in the future Aviendha saw, but that might change)
Darlin
Caraline
Nesune

Could maybe add Faolain to the list. Min implies she's going to have a future that is not unpleasant, but that seems to be connected with this whatever that Faolain is working on, which might be something that comes into play at the Black Tower, where she dies. Min doesn't see everything, so it's hard to say.

I might add a few others to the list.

Harine - She has to live long enough to become Mistress of the Ships. This seems most likely to happen after the Last Battle, so maybe Zaida is killed off.

Melaine - She has to live long enough to give birth to her babes. I don't think she's quite far enough along to give birth before Tarmon Gai'don, but it might be close.

You mentioned Nesune because Min saw that she would found a library. How about Sarene, who Min saw would have a tempestuous love affair? There's probably not much time before the Last Battle for that, unless something's been going on with her that we don't know about. So I would project she will survive.

kabkaba
08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
One could kill off almost literally everyone, but Nynaeve, Moghedien, Mat Cauthon, and at least one other individual. Those four absolutely must survive the Last Battle for a new Pattern to be created once again. Otherwise, Brandon has gone off Robert Jordan's script totally.

I have been wondering how long before Felix starts blaming BS for changing the story from RJ's writing because his theories did not turn out to be true.

Terez
08-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I might add a few others to the list.

Harine - She has to live long enough to become Mistress of the Ships. This seems most likely to happen after the Last Battle, so maybe Zaida is killed off.
Yup, we can probably add her to the list.

Melaine - She has to live long enough to give birth to her babes. I don't think she's quite far enough along to give birth before Tarmon Gai'don, but it might be close. I thought about her, but I couldn't remember how far along she was.

You mentioned Nesune because Min saw that she would found a library. How about Sarene, who Min saw would have a tempestuous love affair? There's probably not much time before the Last Battle for that, unless something's been going on with her that we don't know about. So I would project she will survive.Sarene already writes poetry about her Warder Vitalien (as of LOC), so I figure she might already be having it, and we just don't know the details. She was reunited with Vitalien after Logain and Bashere found Rand in COT.

TheGreenMan
08-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Won't die in AMOL

...LOL

Terez
08-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I was aware of the irony when I posted it...

TheGreenMan
08-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I think Cadsuane is a good candidate for a bit of a Go Out With a Smile (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoOutWithASmile) moment. She's been working very hard to get Rand to the Last Battle. I think in the middle of TG, she'll take a fireball to the face and, just before she goes, realise that Rand is doing well and doesn't need her anymore.

I also think that a moment like this is important, sort of "everything's going to be alright". And coming from a character like Cad would be lend a lot of weight to the sentiment.

Even though I think Cadsuane is a complete capital B.

The Unreasoner
08-11-2011, 06:11 AM
It might be interesting to apply a sort of collective intelligence to this issue. Just tally up everyone's list, see how many mentions each character gets.
Of course, some people will have more valid opinions than others, but that might be reflected anyway. Terez and Davian will pull votes their way through reason, and people who are clueless will push votes away. Which could be a bad thing if I am right and Felix=Sanderson.

Southpaw2012
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
the very first time reading through the series and I read that Loial was writing a book on the Dragon Reborn and was covering their journey, I saw two possible outcomes at the end of the series (in regards to the whole reason of having Loial write a book). Rand dies and stays dead and Loials book is the eyewitness account of someone who knew the Dragon OR Rand lives, goes into hiding and someone takes Loials book in the future to try and find the Dragon and finish the book.

Marie Curie 7
08-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Melaine - She has to live long enough to give birth to her babes. I don't think she's quite far enough along to give birth before Tarmon Gai'don, but it might be close.

I thought about her, but I couldn't remember how far along she was.

I'm not sure we know exactly. But there's this from TGS:

TITLE: Gathering Storm
CHAPTER: 3 - The Ways of Honor

"Perhaps he will explain more when we arrive at this manor house of his," said Melaine, shaking her head, red-gold hair catching the light. Her pregnancy was just beginning to show beneath her Wise One blouse. "And if he does not, then surely it is better for us to be here in Arad Doman than to spend yet more time lounging back in the land of the treekillers."

That was on about day 772. The end of TOM is roughly day 830-840, depending on the timeline.

The viewing Min had about Melaine's babes was about day 614:

TITLE: Lord of Chaos
CHAPTER: 41 - A Threat

"You will have two daughters," Min murmured. "Twins like mirrors."

If Melaine had been unsurprised before, she made up for it now. Her eyes went wide, and she gave a start that nearly lifted her from the floor. "How could you...?" she began incredulously, then stopped to gather herself. Even so, she went on in a breathless voice. "I myself was uncertain I was with child until this morning. How could you know?"

Obviously, at that point, Melaine had just found out about her pregnancy. Coupled with the info from TGS, I would project that her expected birth date would be not long after the end of TOM. But I don't really know for sure.

Sarene already writes poetry about her Warder Vitalien (as of LOC), so I figure she might already be having it, and we just don't know the details. She was reunited with Vitalien after Logain and Bashere found Rand in COT.

Ah, yeah. I had forgotten about the poetry - Vitalien seems a likely candidate for the tempestuous affair then.

But I also have one more character to add that we know will survive: Bela.

Rand al'Fain
08-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Bela is the freaking Creator afterall. Or the Dark One incarnate. Whichever.

jana
08-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Bela is the freaking Creator afterall. Or the Dark One incarnate. Whichever.

No.

The Creator is Bela

GonzoTheGreat
08-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Bela is dead:
When he came up before me, he said, "I wish you hadn't killed Bela."

Crispin's Crispian
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure we know exactly. But there's this from TGS:

That was on about day 772. The end of TOM is roughly day 830-840, depending on the timeline.

Showing is highly dependent on the woman, but if she's just showing at day 772, she's probably nearing the end of the first trimester. Again...no way to know for sure, but it's a good guess. Two months later (the end of ToM), she'd be about very roughly four months away from giving birth. Even if she's showing very late, I'd say she's still two to three months away.

Enigma
08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
On a slight aside but if a mother like say Melaine was to spend some time in the world of dreams would/could that effect the mental development of the unborn child? We know that a person in TAR can be there for a few minutes and have hours pass in the real world.

Zombie Sammael
08-12-2011, 12:25 PM
On a slight aside but if a mother like say Melaine was to spend some time in the world of dreams would/could that effect the mental development of the unborn child? We know that a person in TAR can be there for a few minutes and have hours pass in the real world.

This is actually one of the theories about why Rand's kids in Avi's vision were seemingly permanently connected to the OP; that they were conceived and/or gestated and/or were born in TAR.

Sei'taer
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I think, off the top of my head that the following have a very good chance of not making it:

Rand
Egwene
Rhuarc
Davram
Ituralde
Dobraine
Perrin or Faile or both
Gawyn
Galad
Berelain
Numerous Aes Sedai and Ashaman that have names that we've met.

Screw you dude, Ituralde will never die!!!

The Angry Druid
08-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I think most of the carnage will be to the secondary characters.

Of the main characters, who I interpret as the Emonds Fielder's and those who fled with them on Winternight, plus their love interests, most are safe.

However, I think many secondary characters are going down. My list of who could go.

Of the main characters: Rand, Lan.
Paramours: Gawyn, Min
Secondary: Birgitte, Cadsuane, Bashere, Rhuarc, Amys, Egeanin, Leanne, Ituralde, Dobraine, Berelain, Narishma, Pevara, + many more Asha'man and Aes Sedai.

AbbeyRoad
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I think that rj has so thoroughly clubbed us over the head with Lan's foreshadowed death that I sincerely doubt it will actually happen.