PDA

View Full Version : Time Outs

4Alethinos
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I am very annoyed by having to login again after making a long post. The bulletin board does not pick up on keystrokes, evidently, and requires some small interval of time between mouse movements or clicks.

Sorry, but that sucks. At least make the timeout somewhat longer if youi cannot pickup the use of the keyboard.

Terez
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't think Tam can do anything about that - it's just a lovely feature of vBulletin.

Brita
08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
LOL- I have never had this problem- apparently I am not contributing long enough posts.

Weird Harold
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I am very annoyed by having to login again after making a long post. The bulletin board does not pick up on keystrokes, evidently, and requires some small interval of time between mouse movements or clicks.

The only thing the vBulletin software can detect is a request for a page or the submission of a post. Everything you do between those two detectable events is done locally on your computer -- and can even be done offline.

Automatic logout is a feature that protects your username from someone accessing your computer whenyou forgot to logout.

There is a very simple solution: vBulletin has Auto-log IN as well as Auto LogOUT; just check Remember Me when you log in from the main index page and you will not have to login again until after you explicitly log out. It won't maintian you last visit time so your last read indications won't work "right" but you won't be annoyed by constantly being asked for your password.

Of course if you're on a shared computer where somone else might be automatically logged in as you, "Remember Me" isn't a function you want to use.

Terez
08-01-2008, 10:04 PM
It will still mark your forums read when you're making a long post, though. My habit on vBulletin is to do the longpost stuff last for that reason, but I'll often still miss stuff that's posted while I'm working on the post.

4Alethinos
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Do I agree with that one. It is very annoying to have to login again just because I was typing a long post. FIX IT, Please, oh mighty Lord of the Board.

Weird Harold
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Do I agree with that one. It is very annoying to have to login again just because I was typing a long post. FIX IT, Please, oh mighty Lord of the Board.

It is NOT somethingTam can "fix" it is the way the vBulletin software works.

It IS however, something that YOU can fix -- I have logged in twice since the board opened iwth vBulletin, on the second time was because I explicitly logged out to help troubleshoot a login problem.

Just check the "Remember Me" box and you should never have to log in again unless you explicitly log out.

Ieyasu
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
the short time out does suck ass... and yes, the admins can extend it (i have done so on my other vbulletin forums)

please increase the idle time out.

and no, the remember box merely stores your login info, it will not keep you logged in.

its a simple fix in the admin tools, ive done it multiple times on several other vbulletin boards i admin, its a simple matter of extended the timeout time by X amount of seconds.

it might not even require tam specifically to do it, depending on how access is given out for the various ranks.

Weird Harold
08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
and no, the remember box merely stores your login info, it will not keep you logged in.

That is strictly speaking true, but as far as user perceptions go, it is effectively the same as staying logged in because it automatically logs you in if you're not logged in or have timed out.

The idle timeout can easily be set to a higher value, but would it serve any real purpose to extend it far enough for the research and typing that goes into composing a long post?

Extending long enough to READ some of the more heated discussions would be a big help, but most people are complaining about losing long posts to timing out and I don't think extending the idle timeout to an hour or more is really useful.

Terez
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
I disagree - what's the point of the "mark forums read" function if it's going to go all screwy on you when you make a long post? More to the point, what's the purpose of having such a short time out?

Ieyasu
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
That is strictly speaking true, but as far as user perceptions go, it is effectively the same as staying logged in because it automatically logs you in if you're not logged in or have timed out.

The idle timeout can easily be set to a higher value, but would it serve any real purpose to extend it far enough for the research and typing that goes into composing a long post?

Extending long enough to READ some of the more heated discussions would be a big help, but most people are complaining about losing long posts to timing out and I don't think extending the idle timeout to an hour or more is really useful.

ive had it happen to me in both ways, both when ive posted, and when ive been reading.. its annoying.. it doesnt hurt anything to extend the idle time out, and i fail to see your logic in keeping it short. it serves the purpose that multiple ppl have complained about it being too short a value... seriously, what do you ahve against extending the idle time out?

Weird Harold
08-25-2008, 11:35 PM
ive had it happen to me in both ways, both when ive posted, and when ive been reading.. its annoying.. it doesnt hurt anything to extend the idle time out, and i fail to see your logic in keeping it short. it serves the purpose that multiple ppl have complained about it being too short a value... seriously, what do you ahve against extending the idle time out?
I have nothing against extending it -- it is too short for the kind of traffic this forum handles and causes the "last read"/"new post" accounting to reset even with Auto-login eneabled.

I just don't think extending it is going to stop the complaints unless it is extended to rediculous proportions -- like three hours or so.

I also don't think it will be extended any time soon -- given Tam's record of timeliness in making other changes that should take no longer than the thirty seconds or so required to change the idle timeout setting.

And since it doesn't seem likely to me that it will change any time soon, I'd rather concentrate on explaining how to minimize it's impact -- by using the "Remember Me," Auto login, funtion.

Mort
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I was gonna make a new thread for the bug but I found this one and it's related so...

Other times I've gotten logged out while writing a reply, I've logged in again and been thrown to the right thread and toward my new post. Now I noticed that when I had logged in, I instead got thrown to an error page where it says it couldnt access the page correctly (still inside vbullittin, not a 404 error). At first I thought my post was lost too, but when I went to the thread manually, it had been posted fine. No biggie but I'd like to be forwarded to the right thread again :)