PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Observations...

The Unreasoner
08-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Since the 666 threads was kinda creeping me out, I thought I'd make this thread. If you have any observations or comments on links to history that haven't been made before, post them here. Sort of set your filter to Felix and begin.

For myself, after reading the first four books, I couldn't help but notice similarities between the Aiel and al'Qaeda.

Consider:

Topless Towers of Cairhien-Twin Towers in New York
Veil and shoufa-the head garments worn in the deserts
The names sound similar
The Aiel were seen as monsters by people in the Westlands, Muslims were seen as terrorists in America

It does break down somewhat, when you realize the books were written long before 9/11 (although I did not know this at first, and I thought it a quite clever incorporation)

Also, al'Qaeda is really more comparable to the Shaido-they have corrupted a beautiful set of beliefs/traditions, and are scorned by the main groups. And the Aiel War seems at least partially justified, while terrorist attacks generally only are justifiable in the delusional minds of the terrorists themselves.

Anyone else, any wacky, interesting observations?

Rand al'Fain
08-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Lan's armor on the cover of The Eye of the World is very similar to a samurai's armor.

The Aiel's physical characteristics are very similar to the Norse/Northern Europeans (tall, light colored hair, and light colored eyes).

And the Cairheinen reminded me of the ancient Romans with their physical characteristics and culture (small, light skinned, how they celebrate holidays, and their constant political maneuvering).

WinespringBrother
08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
These similarities in appearance are not coincidental. RJ used many different cultures as templates for the peoples of WOT, including Japanese for Shienar (Malkier's neighbor), Bedouin for Aiel (crossed with Irish as a joke on RJ's part) and French for Cairhien.

Ishara
08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Not to mention Spain for Taer.

Zombie Sammael
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM
French for Cairhien.

I can't believe RJ would ever do something so disgusting as base a nation on the French.

Davian93
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Not to mention Spain for Taer.

Yeah...always love that one. Medieval/Renaissance Spain is such a fascinating culture.

Zombie Sammael
08-10-2011, 12:51 PM
There was a discussion about the colors in another thread recently, relating the ajah colors to the colors "sensed" by channelers from the 5 different channeling types - earth, water, air, fire, spirit, though obviously there is not a perfect match being that there are 7 ajahs.

Sorry, too lazy to find that thread...

Hilariously, it is probably the easiest thread to find if you know what you're looking for* ;):

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5762

*unless you're looking for any thread with a response by Zombie Sammael, in which case I am increasingly starting to feel you are looking for any thread

Daekyras
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
These similarities in appearance are not coincidental. RJ used many different cultures as templates for the peoples of WOT, including Japanese for Shienar (Malkier's neighbor), Bedouin for Aiel (crossed with Irish as a joke on RJ's part) and French for Cairhien.

hey winespring, just wondering how the aiel are bedouin mixed with irish? I can't get that at all...

Ishara
08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Um, they're fair-haired and light skinned - and also fighty.;)

Daekyras
08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Um, they're fair-haired and light skinned - and also fighty.;)

Ah, i see. Being irish, i don't tend to see us as fair haired. And i believe historially we were quite dark of hair. We can be fighty though ;)

In fact i would suggest that if you're looking for some red haired fair skinned fighty people you should look to them pesky vikings.....if only we'd known about that before they visited us a few thousand years ago!

Ishara
08-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Oh, I don't disagree. The "Black" Irish (those of dark hair, swarthy complexions and occasionally ridiculously gorgeous blue eyes are not uncommon after all. But, the popular perception of the Irish is that they're all red-headed and freckled. Poor soulless gingers...

Zombie Sammael
08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Poor soulless gingers...

HEY!

The Unreasoner
08-11-2011, 11:07 AM
HEY!

Wait...You're ginger?

*Takes a step back*

Zombie Sammael
08-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Wait...You're ginger?

*Takes a step back*

Nothing but prejudice everywhere I turn. :mad:

The Unreasoner
08-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh chill out. People have no idea wtf I am.

GonzoTheGreat
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
In fact i would suggest that if you're looking for some red haired fair skinned fighty people you should look to them pesky vikings.....if only we'd known about that before they visited us a few thousand years ago!I've read that one reason why there are a lot of redheads in Iceland nowadays is that those Vikings 'persuaded' pretty red haired Irish girls to go and live with them.

Then again, I've also read that a reason for the Irish red hair was that they have Neanderthal genes, and that one turned out to be incorrect when someone actually looked at the relevant genes.

JOS
08-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Nothing but prejudice everywhere I turn. :mad:

Anyone wonder why the mad face is RED? :D

EDIT: For the record, I live with a ginger, so I am obligated to say that my poke at gingers is all in good fun.

Zombie Sammael
08-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Anyone wonder why the mad face is RED? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw (maybe a tad NSFW)

Ishara
08-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I've read that one reason why there are a lot of redheads in Iceland nowadays is that those Vikings 'persuaded' pretty red haired Irish girls to go and live with them.

I buy that actually...

Crispin's Crispian
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I've moved any Ajah color posts in this thread to the Ajah Colors thread, FYI. Seemed like the right name.

Zombie Sammael
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I've moved any Ajah color posts in this thread to the Ajah Colors thread, FYI. Seemed like the right name.

You spelt "colours" incorrectly... :p

Crispin's Crispian
08-11-2011, 02:49 PM
You spelt "colours" incorrectly... :p

And spelt is a type of flour.

wireguy
08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
spelt 1 [spelt]
verb
a simple past tense and past participle of spell.

Crispin's Crispian
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
spelt 1 [spelt]
verb
a simple past tense and past participle of spell.

Spelt the Wheat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt)

Also, in the Land of the Free, we don't need superfluous letters "u".

Zombie Sammael
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Spelt the Wheat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt)

Also, in the Land of the Free, we don't need superfluous letters "u".

That's odd, you seem to consume everything else! Zing!

Crispin's Crispian
08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
That's odd, you seem to consume everything else! Zing!

Everyone knows English food sucks.

Zombie Sammael
08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Everyone knows English food sucks.

How can you say that? We invented fish and chips!

JOS
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
How can you say that? We invented fish and chips!

And spotted dick! (Pudding, for you sick gutter minds out there)

Zombie Sammael
08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
And spotted dick! (Pudding, for you sick gutter minds out there)

Yes, but that is legitimately horrible. Also, we also invented the other thing.

Ishara
08-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, but that is legitimately horrible. Also, we also invented the other thing.

I thought that was the French?

Zombie Sammael
08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I thought that was the French?

The French are also legitimately horrible, yes.

Ishara
08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I meant the ones who invented " the other thing." LOL

The Unreasoner
08-12-2011, 03:16 PM
English food is pretty bad on the whole... but then every now and then they come along and knock one out of the whole damn park.
Consider:

Fish and Chips
Yorkshire Pudding
Worchester Sauce
Marco Pierre White
(Although a lot of his food is French)

Daekyras
08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I meant the ones who invented " the other thing." LOL

Wait, wasn't that the greeks? :rolleyes: