PDA

View Full Version : Aviendha: Is She a Dreamer?

JOS
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that.

Assumption 1: This all happens in TAR.
Assumption 2: The purpose of this event was to cause Aviendha to consider tinkering with the columns, or try them a second time (that is a major assumption ;))

For #1. Did Verin have a ter'angreal for entering TAR?

For #2. If a wise one was behind this, then she must have "Dreamed" that this was needed -- ie. Pulling Aviendha into TAR, and interacting with her. Something that they considered evil...

Another possibility is that the pattern needed her to do it. Aviendha's time with the teaching ter'angreal made her open to slipping into TAR for more than an instant, and she had a great Need which caused a Dream to occur to guide her (that is Nakomi may not be a real person).

I look forward to reading your theory.

Could Aviendha be a dreamer? It took Egwene practicing with the ter'angreal to really open up. I think the Aiel dreamwalkers were quite preoccupied with training Egwene, and could have missed it with Avi. They do not find many, perhaps it is like channeling: those that can, those that can learn, and those that can't.

Terez
08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I get the feeling that they only train the most Talented in the Dream because they don't have training ter'angreal. But a Dreamer and a Dreamwalker are two different things. I doubt Aviendha is the former, but she might be a less Talented version of the latter. Aran'gar doesn't seem to have much Talent at all, but she can access the GOI and Egwene's dreams (if she's sleeping right next to her).

JOS
08-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I get the feeling that they only train the most Talented in the Dream because they don't have training ter'angreal. But a Dreamer and a Dreamwalker are two different things. I doubt Aviendha is the former, but she might be a less Talented version of the latter. Aran'gar doesn't seem to have much Talent at all, but she can access the GOI and Egwene's dreams (if she's sleeping right next to her).

I shouldn't have mixed and matched the terms, but I was thinking that most of the Aiel dreamwalkers seem to be dreamers to some extent. The dreamers probably all fall into the "most talented" dreamwalkers group.

It seems a stretch that a non-DF wise one would pull Aviendha into TAR, as they see it as super evil. A wise one could have foreseen that Avi would slip into TAR that night and teach her some of what she saw in a dream.

The Unreasoner
08-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I thought at first that she was pulled into T'A'R by the Pattern. And I thought Nakomi was a ghost or apparition she Needed to meet. But I like Tree Brother's explanation better, a hallucination created to satisfy a radically powerful Need. Nakomi may be no more real than Lews Therin's voice, she may be Aviendha's subconscious.

Also...Maybe a new thread for Nakomi posts?

JOS
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I know this thread has been lying dormant for a while, but considering Aviendha's accelerated Wise One training as well as various adventures and distractions, there is still a chance that she has the Talent for dreamwalking, and merely lacks the training.

I found the following today while re-reading TSR:

TSR, Chapter 50, Traps:
"Why are you here?" he demanded coldly.
"The Wise Ones are taking turns watching over you from outside. They meant to continue watching from. ..." She trailed off, her face reddening.
"From where?" She only stared at him, her face growing more and more crimson. "Aviendha, from wh-?" Dreamwalkers. Why had it never occurred to him? "From inside my dreams," he said harshly. "How long have they been spying inside my head?"
She let out a long, heavy breath. "I was not supposed to let you know. If Bair finds out-Seana said it was too dangerous tonight. I do not understand it: I cannot enter the dream without one of them to help me. Something dangerous tonight is all I know. That is why they are taking turns at the door to this roof. They are all worried."

I also wonder what mechanism they use to guide students into T'A'R. If there is an established way to do this, Avi's "Nakomi experience" could be easier to explain, as well as less likely to be malicious.