PDA

View Full Version : My wee trip to the Game of Thrones set.

maacaroni
08-16-2011, 05:03 AM
I was over in Belfast recently for a family wedding. And I knew one or two of my cousins were working on the filming in the PaintHall.

To give you some background, the paint hall is in the 'titanic quarter' of Belfast and it is currently mid-development. It is essentially one building in a derelict area but soon to be full of flats. In front of it lies Samson and Delilah, two 'listed' cranes that are part of the Harland and Woolfe shipyards. I had been at the studio before, a couple of years ago, and I saw the set of an ill-fated film called 'city of ember' with Bill Murray and Tim Robbins. (I met Tim Robbins a day later at a talk he gave. Nice bloke, terrible folk singer.)

What I hadn't known was that half my bloody cousins work there: set-builders, security, cameramen etc.

Upon my visit, I discovered a few things...firstly that I could only go to certain areas as they were filming in others. (Apparently, the day before I came, they were filming a sex scene where Robb Stark had his ladyfriend all around a room). What I did see was them building a large galleon (the set builders work nights) and I did get to sit on the throne of swords and I saw the 'map room'. I also saw Nikolaj Coster-Wallau (Jaime)...they call him "Niko", in a broad Belfast accent.

The one big bummer was I could not take photographs, although I am blagging some old ones, around two months old and I'll try and post them when I can.

I only stayed 45mins, a combination of a flight back to England, a bored fiancée and a vile hangover.

I did not see Tyrion. Gutted.

Ishara
08-16-2011, 07:40 AM
DUDE. I don't even watch (or read) that and that's awesome!

Isabel
08-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Sounds awesome :) :) :)

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-16-2011, 09:29 AM
VERY cool.