PDA

View Full Version : Noob Here!

Taryntula
08-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi Theorylanders!

I've been a lurker ;) for a long time...but I figured in anticipation for aMoL I should make myself known.

Let me know if at any point I'm about to step into quicksand or a nest of vipers...I'm new to all this and will need to learn the terrain!

Can't wait to participate!

Sarevok
08-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Welcome to TL, Taryntula!

I'm sure other people will be around shortly for more greetings. :)

Juan
08-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Hello! Welcome to TL.

Zaela Sedai
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland Taryn!!! (Been a while waiting for a noob!!!)As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. We like to try and use enough wit to neutralize the trollies without help...

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~do not feel you MUST click on Lordy's sig links and join just cause he's Lordy... it's not mandatory, butt shhhh! I did not tell you that!

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you there are always ways to fight back! With your on bag o'quotes of course!

We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once. After that you get to meet a special pair of chains, Mwahahahaa

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!
Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

Terez
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi Theorylanders!

I've been a lurker ;) for a long time...but I figured in anticipation for aMoL I should make myself known.

Let me know if at any point I'm about to step into quicksand or a nest of vipers...I'm new to all this and will need to learn the terrain!

You'll be fine so long as you don't troll me. ;) (You can disagree with me. There is a difference.)

The Unreasoner
08-25-2011, 01:58 AM
It is a pleasure to have some new registrations that are not clearly spambots.

Some thoughts...
Don't take criticism too personally.
Felix is not a troll.
Although you may read otherwise...TL is, like all of the Internet, free of rules. Or rather, it is like T'A'R: rules are defined by those enforcing them.
Try to remember syllogism, I know it's hard, but try.
Don't let anyone silence you.

Have fun.

FelixPax
08-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Hi Theorylanders!

Glad to meet you.
I'm curious, have you read many epic novels or folklore, mythological books?

Considering your anticipation for AMoL book, is there a real difference between a nest of vipers and a nest of snakes?

What is a Gara? What does a Gara represent? Who was once born a Gara, who has now been born Human?

Who is the 'Fisher'? Where is the 'Fisher's' last known destination?

What does Nynaeve al'Meara's 'Listening to the Wind' talent actually distinguish between? {Note Moiraine only identities one aspect of this Talent, in TEOTW book. Moiraine does not understand everything.}

Who does Egwene al'Vere still owe toh to?

Can you name five known ways Trollocs have entered the Westlands? Three methods were used in TEOTW book, in fact. Two other methods were used in TSR book.

Who is a tame Ta'veren?

Where is Liandrin, as of ToM book? Or who is Liandrin with, as of ToM book? {Trick questions}

Who did or does Rendra work for, ultimately?

In the Prologue to the Eye of the World book, who's point of view is the scene from, and where is that scene truly located? Where, as in what type of World was L.T.T. in? As a counterpoint, what did Mierin/Selene once say about this type of World to Loial?

If you can answer any the above, you're an Elder in IMHO. :)

It is a pleasure to have some new registrations that are not clearly spambots.

Some thoughts...
Don't take criticism too personally.
Felix is not a troll.

Thank you. :)

Sei'taer
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Taryntula, welcome to TL!

If you answer the questions above, you'll be wrong because Felix has some strange ideas about what is going on with the books. I think he is reading a different series. So you can try, but don't expect to be right. The only ones who would be right are Felix and anyone who actually reads what he posts, which is not many people. Don't let him scare you away though.

As for being an Elder, that takes time and effort and comes from our great and fearless leader, Tamyrlin. He's kind of like the creator though, so don't plan on seeing him around much and he'll probably be late making you an elder when the time comes.

Above all, Have Fun!

DahLliA
08-25-2011, 08:15 AM
welcome to TL !

<- beer

snakepit ->

The Unreasoner
08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
If you can answer any the above, you're an Elder in IMHO. :)
This looks fun. And any new raisings are likely not going to happen anyway.
Can you name five known ways Trollocs have entered the Westlands? Three methods were used in TEOTW book, in fact. Two other methods were used in TSR book.
Portal stones, ships, caravans, Waygates, and fake ones imagined in T'A'R.
Who is a tame Ta'veren?
Dobraine.
Where is Liandrin, as of ToM book? Or who is Liandrin with, as of ToM book? {Trick questions}
I was going to guess 'dead', but with that Compulsion, I'm going with "property of the Deathwatch Guards."
Who did or does Rendra work for, ultimately?
The Grey Ajah? her fear of the "witches" could be an act.
In the Prologue to the Eye of the World book, who's point of view is the scene from, and where is that scene truly located? Where, as in what type of World was L.T.T. in? As a counterpoint, what did Mierin/Selene once say about this type of World to Loial?
Who does Egwene al'Vere still owe toh to?
Rhuarc, at least. And half of Randland, as far as I'm concerned.
Considering your anticipation for AMoL book, is there a real difference between a nest of vipers and a nest of snakes?
Taxonomical precision?
What is a Gara? What does a Gara represent? Who was once born a Gara, who has now been born Human?
The slow moving, albeit deadly, killer of witless fools.
It represents the old style of warfare, and Gareth Bryne was once one.
Who is the 'Fisher'? Where is the 'Fisher's' last known destination?
Jasfer, en route to Illian.
What does Nynaeve al'Meara's 'Listening to the Wind' talent actually distinguish between? {Note Moiraine only identities one aspect of this Talent, in TEOTW book. Moiraine does not understand everything.}
Pattern Level Atmospheric Pressure
Thank you. :)
But of course.

Sei'taer
08-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Taxonomical precision?

HAHAHAHAHAhahahHAHAHHAHAHAaaaaa:D

GonzoTheGreat
08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm curious, have you read many epic novels or folklore, mythological books?This one I can't answer, as it depends on a precise definition of "many", which term, by its very nature, is not precise.

Considering your anticipation for AMoL book, is there a real difference between a nest of vipers and a nest of snakes?Depends on what type of snakes, of course.

What is a Gara? What does a Gara represent? Who was once born a Gara, who has now been born Human?Nakomi.

Who is the 'Fisher'? Where is the 'Fisher's' last known destination?Padan Fain, of course. He's going to meet Rand al'Thor in the Pit of Doom.

Who does Egwene al'Vere still owe toh to?Has been answered already.

Can you name five known ways Trollocs have entered the Westlands? Three methods were used in TEOTW book, in fact. Two other methods were used in TSR book.A fairly obvious one which hasn't been mentioned yet is: walking.

Who is a tame Ta'veren?Elmindreda Farshaw, the Lady Ta'veren. Rand has tamed her.

Where is Liandrin, as of ToM book? Or who is Liandrin with, as of ToM book? {Trick questions}Narg.

Who did or does Rendra work for, ultimately?Narg. He's in cahoots with Bela, after all.

In the Prologue to the Eye of the World book, who's point of view is the scene from, and where is that scene truly located? Where, as in what type of World was L.T.T. in? As a counterpoint, what did Mierin/Selene once say about this type of World to Loial?Rand al'Thor. Next book, he'll wake up saying "I have won again, Lews Therin", and realise that he's been Ishamael all along.

If you can answer any the above, you're an Elder in IMHO. :)A distinction well worth striving for.

<- beer

snakepit ->Or vice versa. Whatever. It'll be obvious to the most casual reader, just as soon as you've reached either destination.

Taryntula
08-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I will definitely steer toward the beer, as opposed to the snakepit ;) And yes, vipers and snakes can be quite a different situation, depending on the snake :eek:

Felix, as far as the Q about me reading "many epic fantasy, folklore, mythology" etc...I've read a good share in my time. I've only re-read WOT 3 times, so I'm sure that puts me far down the food chain here at Theoryland!

I'm definitely not troll-ish, and I'll make sure to lurk carefully before posting and making a complete idiot of myself. I've never been one to take criticism too seriously :cool:

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm definitely not troll-ish, and I'll make sure to lurk carefully before posting and making a complete idiot of myself.Some people manage that without any apparent preparation at all, you know.

Which raises the question: is idiocy a Talent? If so, it's a fairly common one.

DahLliA
08-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Some people manage that without any apparent preparation at all, you know.

Which raises the question: is idiocy a Talent? If so, it's a fairly common one.

I think it's outside the definition of a talent when 98,7% of the world's population has it