PDA

View Full Version : Hive Five - IM Clients

JSUCamel
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
A website I frequent does these periodic surveys called "hive fives" where they list the Top 5 of any given topic that users vote on. I'm gonna see if that kind of thing flies here.

It's pretty simple, just post your vote for the best IM client. It can be a multi-service client or a proprietary one or whatever.

What do YOU use to chat with?

RULE: Put "VOTE: (your choice)" in the SUBJECT of your post. If you do not do this, your vote will not be counted! This is to keep the voting process clear for me and to prevent multiple votes. You may only vote once, but you may change your vote at a later time if you wish.

Ready, set, go :)

RogueSavior
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I only use AIM, so naturally I vote for...

Yahoo Instant Messenger.

Nyah! Vote's broken already!

(Put me in the AOL Column, please...:D )

Terez
08-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Adium. It's like Trillian for Mac (and it does cool stuff like translating MSN custom emotes).

tanaww
08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Digsby

psychomusician
08-02-2008, 01:23 AM
pidgin, its like trillian, but for linux (and its does cool stuff like not being on a freaking mac)

Sarevok
08-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Trillian, it's like Trillian for windows ;)

irerancincpkc
08-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Google Talk

(Hey, I don't do it that much... :D )

Sare and Tana, you forgot your VOTE in the title! :D

tanaww
08-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Google Talk

(Hey, I don't do it that much... :D )

Sare and Tana, you forgot your VOTE in the title! :D

Spammer, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mort
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Have it for ICQ and MSN, but it works for all kinds of clients.

tworiverswoman
08-02-2008, 08:54 PM
My gods, you people -- can I assume you're all having fun at Camel's expense? 'Cause I hate to think otherwise...

Silly gits. Glad to know I'm not the ONLY one that qualifies.

I like WLM mainly because I love the custom emotes. However, I use Googletalk at work and Skype for voice chat. I have ICQ and AIM but haven't loaded either one in ages.

I don't like the "uber" IMs.

Birgitte
08-03-2008, 01:26 PM
It's just so pretty. Provided you ignore the emotes, which I do. And being able to carry on a conversation in the little pop ups in the bottom corner of the screen is nice.

Cary Sedai
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I just like it. Though I use skype a lot, too. Not for text chatting though, just voice chat. It's clearer than WLM's voice chat, imo.

1Powerslave
08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Miranda IM is a multiprotocoll client. Major weaknes is that filetransfer doesn't work ok for me with MSN... But it's still the best out there that I know of if you have contacts from Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, AIM, etc.

Mort
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Miranda IM

Another one who shows good taste in IM's :D
Shockingly another Swede, there must be a connection :D

Matoyak
08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I am having a hard time choosing between Trillian and Gtalk...hmmm...Trillian has the disadvantage of having to conform to whatever IM client it is duplicating (aka, when talking to WLM/MSN IM contacts...it tends to fuck up constantly...just like WLM/MSN does! (When I use ICQ, AIM, or Yahoo, it does not have the problems WLM does...)

So I'll go with gTalk...I really hope they finalize it...it's been in Beta soooooo long now.

Terez
08-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I am having a hard time choosing between Trillian and Gtalk...hmmm...Trillian has the disadvantage of having to conform to whatever IM client it is duplicating (aka, when talking to WLM/MSN IM contacts...it tends to fuck up constantly...just like WLM/MSN does! I also have problems with MSN everywhere I go. On Adium, it's constantly disconnecting, screwing up messages, etc., just like it did on Trillian (and apparently Miranda also has MSN problems). I would rather not use MSN at all but tons of my contacts use it (I suspect mostly because of custom emotes).

Matoyak
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I also have problems with MSN everywhere I go. On Adium, it's constantly disconnecting, screwing up messages, etc., just like it did on Trillian (and apparently Miranda also has MSN problems). I would rather not use MSN at all but tons of my contacts use it (I suspect mostly because of custom emotes).
Yeah, I'm in the same boat...I would much prefer to use either ICQ (Trillian Version), or even better, Gtalk.

Mort
08-05-2008, 05:04 AM
You can import lots of different emotes to Miranda :)

JOIN THE DARK SIDE!