PDA

View Full Version : Brandon's Reddit Interview

Tamyrlin
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey all,

Brandon is doing an Interview on Reddit this afternoon (http://bit.ly/oBhYb0). I thought you might be interested. I think I may go over and ask a few questions that have come up in our discussions recently. These are the ones I plan on asking. Feel free to offer suggestions on edit for these, or come up with your own.

My questions so far:

We see the know that Dragonmount was created when LTT killed himself. I've always thought this to be 100% an effect of the way he killed himself, but now I'm doubting that to be the whole story. In his death, did LTT's connection to the Land as the Dragon affect the earth in any way? Did his connection contribute to any of the destruction after his death, or even the creation of Dragonmount?

We know of two Parallel Worlds. So I'm curious, how many Parallel Worlds did the people of the Age of Legends discover? If you can't give an exact number, can you give us some indication of quantity?

In any of these Parallel Worlds that were found, did they discover inhabitants that could channel the One Power?

We know that Rand was taken to a Mirror World in The Great Hunt. Also, we've seen Egwene open a gateway into T'A'R. So, I'm curious, could Rand open a gateway to that Mirror World either through direct Traveling or Skimming?

Sarevok
08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Noon mountain... is RIGHT NOW, I believe. But I can't find any live chat or interview or anything on the site you linked. :(

Tamyrlin
08-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Noon mountain... is RIGHT NOW, I believe. But I can't find any live chat or interview or anything on the site you linked. :(

Brandon will post, and then you can post your question or questions and supposedly he will then reply to the ones he wants to answer.

That's what I understand.

WinespringBrother
08-31-2011, 01:17 PM
here are a few questions from my notepad document of notes and questions:

WOT:
are there any rogue heroes of the horn?
does the a'dam only work when the collar is worn around the neck?
was Norla the toothless wilder one of the kin? where did she get her paralis-net?
did the dark one try to resist rand's cleansing of saidin?

Mistborn:
do soothing and rioting work on a telepathic or physiological level?

WinespringBrother
08-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/k0fp8/iama_professional_fantasy_novelist_named_brandon/

the_collective
08-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/k0fp8/iama_professional_fantasy_novelist_named_brandon/

Booo.

Tried accessing this link several ways, but it looks like I'm cock-blocked by my workplace. Any details anyone would like to post here would be helpful to the underprivileged.

Tamyrlin
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Booo.

Tried accessing this link several ways, but it looks like I'm cock-blocked by my workplace. Any details anyone would like to post here would be helpful to the underprivileged.

I'm planning to tweet Q&A's...that are relevant to WoT.

And I'm sure we'll move stuff here once it is over.

the_collective
08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm planning to tweet Q&A's...that are relevant to WoT.

And I'm sure we'll move stuff here once it is over.

That'll do. I thankee, Tam.

the_collective
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
As I understand it, it's never been confirmed that the link between Rand/Ishamael began the moment that their balefire streams crossed that day in Shadar Logoth.

I'm not sure how best to word this question (to avoid a RAFO, anyway), but I suspect that something about Rand changed between the moment Lanfear sent him into the Mirror World in TGH and when he personally channeled to get them (and their horses!) back 'home' to the real world. I guess my question is this (worded different ways for maximum effect, assuming each can be asked in turn):

Did anything change about Rand's connection to the Shadow as a result of the decisions he made during his time spent in the Mirror World from The Great Hunt?

Did anything change about Rand's connection to the Dark One as a result of the decisions he made during his time spent in the Mirror World from The Great Hunt?

Did anything change about Rand's connection to the Ishamael as a result of the decisions he made during his time spent in the Mirror World from The Great Hunt?

Did anything change about Rand's connection to the One Power as a result of the decisions he made during his time spent in the Mirror World from The Great Hunt?

Did anything change about Rand's connection to the True Power as a result of the decisions he made during his time spent in the Mirror World from The Great Hunt?

Tamyrlin
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Rand's trip to the Mirror World was short, but I'm wondering, did Rand experience any changes that the reader is unaware of from the time he was sent to the Mirror World to the time he left the Mirror World in TGH?

Terez
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
I am keeping a transcript of this as it goes.

the_collective
08-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Rand's trip to the Mirror World was short, but I'm wondering, did Rand experience any changes that the reader is unaware of from the time he was sent to the Mirror World to the time he left the Mirror World in TGH?

Yeah - that works for me. Thanks for the re-wording!

the_collective
08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Is there any connection between the large chunk missing from the side of Dragonmount (as seen in TGS) and the huge rock that was converted into the fortress later called "The Stone" in Tear?

In order to "instill" Padan Fain with the overwhelming urge to pursue the 3 ta'veren, was it necessary for Ishamael to impart upon Fain any part of his own inherent ability to sense ta'veren within the Pattern?

Was it impossible for Ishamael to channel the One Power (Saidin, in his case, of course) while he was still partially sealed in the Bore?

Have we ever seen Ishamael channel the One Power (as opposed to the True Power)?

If I think of a couple more, I'll post 'em real quick...

the_collective
08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Is it possible to use Need in the real world, as we've seen done in Tel'aran'rhiod?

the_collective
08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
The original wards placed upon Callandor were enough to stop any of the Forsaken from trying to grab it before Rand did; does this mean that the wards were somehow attuned to Rand's soul specifically?

If so, how was this attunement to a dead person's soul accomplished, assuming that Callandor was in fact created during or after the Breaking of the World, as has been stated in the text?

Juan
08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Is it possible to use Need in the real world, as we've seen done in Tel'aran'rhiod?

Yes. Rand did that with the eye of the world.

the_collective
08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes. Rand did that with the eye of the world.

Well, yes. This is my theory as to what happened in that part of the story, but the point of this is to find out for sure that this is even possible in fact, rather than assumed to be true in conjecture as we may have done in the past.

Terez
08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Transcript (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5919). (In case you missed it.) He has already cut off questions, but he will still be answering the ones before the cut-off point for a few days. I will update it fairly regularly.