PDA

View Full Version : The wacky dreams of the Dragon

The Unreasoner
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
This idea came to me while reading through the 'twice dawns' theory.

It seems that the issue of the Dragon-Moridin link could be resolved by Egwene, Perrin, and Nynaeve breaking through Rand's wards and killing the connection from within Rand's/Moridin's mind. As Terez has pointed out, there is at least some evidence that Egwene will eventually break through Rand's wards. Thematically, it works:
Rand v Moridin
Egwene v Lanfear
Perrin v Graendal
Nynaeve v Moghedien

All rematches. And the good allies are among the best non-Aiel Dreamwalkers, while the bad are all mindtrapped. The battle, (maybe even the Last Battle), could be fought in Rand's valley or Moridin's rooms with fireplaces. Or both. Egwene could have begun planning it right after her last scene, perhaps in an attempt to twist Rand's mind so he wouldn't break the seals. Or to try and reason with him from within his mind, for Egwene lovers.

Killing the Forsaken and the Nae'blis within the minds of Rand and Moridin may suffice to sever the connection (and kill them for real).

If you ascribe to the body-merge theory, maybe this is a way for Egwene and pals to fix it without balefiring the Dragon-knock him out and invade his dreams. In fact, as the wards are actively set, knocking him out may remove that obstacle altogether.

This isn't a theory, more a seed for further discussion. Take it and run with it, tear it apart, twist it and call it your own. I don't care. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts though.

GonzoTheGreat
09-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Good joke. It seemed serious right up to this point:
Egwene could have begun planning it ...

Zombie Sammael
09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure that the Last Battle as such will be fought in TAR, though certainly TAR will be important to the final confrontation with the DO somehow.

What I did think was very interesting and right on the money were the match-ups. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out how neatly the surviving Forsaken match up with the Two Rivers kids. I'd add Mat vs Demandred to that list, in fact, as it works even better than many of the others: the Dragon's best friend versus the one who hates him most; the greatest general of the Third Age versus the greatest general of the AOL.

Of course, that leaves out both the still-living Slayer who no doubt has some important role to play, and also Shaidar Haran. I think perhaps that Shaidar Haran will be important to defeating the DO; I understand RJ said he wasn't an avatar in the strictest sense but it still makes sense that in order to take out the DO you have to take out the worldly extension of his power.

The Unreasoner
09-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure that the Last Battle as such will be fought in TAR

These scenarios are mainly dealing with Rand's dreams, not T'A'R. And I had forgotten about Mat/Demandred. But I like it.

The Unreasoner
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
And, once the dream-battle is over, Rand could wake up and go deal with Fain and SH at SG.