PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About This...

tanaww
08-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Indoor Play Affects Chidrens' Eyesight (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/2485641/Indoor-play-affects-childrens-eyesight.html)

How interesting if this is true. But more importantly, if there is a proven link, how does one ensure their little darlings get enough time outside? With a six to 8 hour school day and then homework - even if you don't allow video games (God I wish I didn't allow video games), how do you give them / force them to spend three hours outside? Sure, you have recess at school but that's about 45 minutes nowadays.

Your thoughts?

GonzoTheGreat
08-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Sleep deprivation. If it's good enough for ragheads (at Gitmo), then it is good enough for your own kids.

Mort
08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I think that a 3 hour per day is just an estimate. A "normal" kid probably regains his hours outside during weekends, spending maybe 5 hours a day outside.

Some are probably more suceptible for a decrease in eyesight since I don't think this is the only factor. I know some when being kids were almost only outside and still had to get glasses (strong perscriptions too) and others who did the same thing and didn't have to, and vice versa.
We also know that decades and more ago, people still got bad eyesight (dunno if in lesser numbers though) and they could have been working outside their whole life. Then again, too much of a good thing here in life is usually a bad thing :)

Interesting stuff though.

Hey kids! Do your homework outside under a tree why dontcha!

Terez
08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
The distance between my dorm and my classes unfortunately assures that I am outside for a few hours a day. Make kids walk to and from school!

Davian93
08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Precious snowflakes melt in the evil hot sun.