PDA

View Full Version : Erikson poll

Terez
08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Someone mentioned keeping a sticky of book recommendations to avoid the multiple threads that pop up constantly about "What should I read next?", and if you guys do that, it would probably be a good idea to link to stuff like this in the sticky (and probably also a good idea to keep polls open indefinitely - there's no tree any more so no need to save space).

StrangePackage
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Erikson is a scumbag.

Terez
08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm sure your opinion means a great deal to him. :)

Zaela Sedai
08-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I put it donwn again. I'm rereading WoT.

For those of you who said its better then you must not care about getting to know characters from the beginning. Thats the reason I can't get into it, I care about noone.

Terez
08-05-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not one of the ones that thinks it's better, but I was able to put aside the initial non-bond with the characters because of promises from friends that it would be worth it to continue. I didn't really get hooked until the end of book 2, which was awesome. And by the time book 3 rolled around, I realized I cared about the characters a great deal.

Davian93
08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I started reading Gardens of the Moon again and am about 100 pages into it. I'm still kinda lost on what's going on as its jumped around a bit but I'm trying to slog through it.

Crispin's Crispian
08-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I started reading Gardens of the Moon again and am about 100 pages into it. I'm still kinda lost on what's going on as its jumped around a bit but I'm trying to slog through it.
Some of the stuff from GoTM won't be clear till the next or third book. My advice is to focus on what you do understand and follow those plot lines. Don't try to get the big picture yet.

Oh, and try to pretend you're one of the Bridgeburners. That helps too.

Terez
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Muttley=Paran

Zaela Sedai
08-05-2008, 11:43 AM
i put it down around page 150-160... I'm sure i'll pick it back up at some point

Brita
08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
"I will not read a sentence until the series is finished." That is a binding resolution that I made after RJs untimely passing regarding any and all epic series. I intend to keep this resolution until the day I die. So when book 10 is released, let me know and I will start the series.

Crispin's Crispian
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Muttley=Paran
Sweet!

Rawr!

Terez
08-05-2008, 09:19 PM
"I will not read a sentence until the series is finished." That is a binding resolution that I made after RJs untimely passing regarding any and all epic series. I intend to keep this resolution until the day I die. So when book 10 is released, let me know and I will start the series.
It won't be long, since he puts them out about once a year. :D

pops taer
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
it was in no way awesome, but good enough for me to read. However, I've moved into one of my all time favorite genre of books. Sports. Currently reading "The St. Louis Baseball Reader. Waiting in the wings is "Unhittable" a series of stories about no-hitters and perfect games pitched in the major leagues from way back and a book written by Yogi Berra with some author assisting.."You can observe a lot by watching." So..I'm bouncing around a bit to keep from burning out.

Main thing is that everyone continue to read and exercise their mind.

cottillion
08-06-2008, 02:07 AM
I love both of the series but in the end I like the Malazan books better. If Wot would of stayed consistant and not been drawn out so much it would of been alot closer but the later books really let me down.

DahLliA
08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I have to say I like MBotF better than WoT now. Erikson's way with humor and bleak pessimism, all the minor characters which make the world seem more real, the whole magic system which isn't as (relatively) straight forward and science like as the OP and all the philosophical monologues put MBotF ahead of WoT.

Terez
08-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Interesting. Out of those who have voted so far, and actually finished the series (or close to it), the vast majority like it. Half of those who have even started the series like it better than WoT. All but one of the 13 that have finished it at least liked it (though I could have sworn that Isa said before that she liked it, but not as much as WoT).

Brita
08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
It won't be long, since he puts them out about once a year. :D

Excellent- something to look forward to.

However- I've already broken my resolution since I am currently reading The Wells of Ascension- haha, so much for my self discipline.

Terez
08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, that series is technically already finished, from what I understand. BS got the 3rd (and final) book ready for publication before he started working on the WoT project. So, no resolution-breaking yet. :)

Brita
08-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Terez- I knew I could count on you to put just the right spin on it :D

~~~pats self on the back for being so self-disciplined~~~

Terez
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Spin? I'm offended. :( The reason for your resolution is that you didn't want to go through the whole author-dying-before-the-series-is-finished thing again, right? No spin is necessary here. :)

Brita
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
True- and no offense intended. :) I'll re-phrase that:

I knew I could count on you to put the situation in the right context. :D

I didn't realize he had completed the book
to the point of publication- that is great news- when is the anticipated release date?

Terez
08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I didn't realize he had completed the book to the point of publication- that is great news- when is the anticipated release date?
According to this (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/Mistborn-3/), some time in October. Perhaps amazon.com could be more accurate.

caladanbrood
08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm also about to re-read GotM (for the 15th or 16th time... I lost track ages ago), though for the purpose of writing out chapter summaries and suchlike, rather than actual enjoyment;) and I fully expect to notice more new things that I hadn't before... they're those kind of books:)

Zaela Sedai
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
At least 2 of those who liked it better than WoT have handles that come from the series, LOL

Terez
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
At least 2 of those who liked it better than WoT have handles that come from the series, LOL Only two, and one of them hadn't voted when I made my earlier analysis. ;)

though I did just catch an error in it...

Crispin's Crispian
08-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Interesting. Out of those who have voted so far, and actually finished the series (or close to it), the vast majority like it better than WoT. Half of those who have even started the series like it better than WoT. All but one of the 13 that have finished it at least liked it (though I could have sworn that Isa said before that she liked it, but not as much as WoT).
I wonder how much of this is skewed by the interminable waiting that's involved with WoT, as opposed to the almost annual satiation provided by SE.

For those damned foreigners, the wait is even shorter.

I also wonder how much of my opinion is influenced by the fact that I haven't read a word of WoT since the last book came out, which I read one time and put down. In the literary world, absence doesn't necessarily make the heart grow fonder.

Terez
08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I wonder how much of this is skewed by the interminable waiting that's involved with WoT, as opposed to the almost annual satiation provided by SE. I wonder often myself. There are a lot of ex-WoT fans over at the Malazan forums, and most of them had serious issues with the waiting. I didn't think that Crossroads of Twilight was a bad book, but I only had to wait a year or so for it after having read the series for the first time (and second, by then). I can imagine the frustration for those who had been reading it since before Lord of Chaos was released...

For those damned foreigners, the wait is even shorter. The next book should be released in synch, or very close to it.

I also wonder how much of my opinion is influenced by the fact that I haven't read a word of WoT since the last book came out, which I read one time and put down. In the literary world, absence doesn't necessarily make the heart grow fonder.
That's probably a factor as well. I don't plan on doing a WoT re-read any time soon. I'm starting to get rusty, but I don't really care - it's time to take a break from reading it over and over again. :)

Crispin's Crispian
08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
- it's time to take a break from reading it over and over again. :)

I think as soon as we know that BS is done writing AMoL, we should start a group re-read as a ramp-up to the finale. It usually takes, what, six months to get from the author's desk to the bookstore? That sould be plenty of time to read 11 books if we are on top of things.

It would be amazing to have a dozen or so of us not only doing a reread at the same time, but to be completely up-to-date and ready for the final book.

Terez
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, as long as you don't expect us to all read it together, I'm sure we can manage that much. Maybe even Tam will do a re-read for the first time since 1998...

Brita
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
I think as soon as we know that BS is done writing AMoL, we should start a group re-read as a ramp-up to the finale. It usually takes, what, six months to get from the author's desk to the bookstore? That sould be plenty of time to read 11 books if we are on top of things.

It would be amazing to have a dozen or so of us not only doing a reread at the same time, but to be completely up-to-date and ready for the final book.

I plan to do that already- so I am totally in!

Crispin's Crispian
08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, as long as you don't expect us to all read it together, I'm sure we can manage that much. Maybe even Tam will do a re-read for the first time since 1998...
Of course we would read it together. I was thinking we could rent a nice beach house for the summer and have a Read-In. I'll spring for pizza a couple times, and I'm sure other people could chip in.

My wife and kids won't mind at all.

Terez
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
I was thinking more of the scholar's board re-read sort of project (Wotmania is doing the same thing, btw). :)

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Of course we would read it together. I was thinking we could rent a nice beach house for the summer and have a Read-In. I'll spring for pizza a couple times, and I'm sure other people could chip in.

My wife and kids won't mind at all.

Sigh.

I really need to win that big lottery. That sounds like a plan. 3 months non stop reading and arguing. hehehehe.

Hey, someone needs to pitch it to a production team and get it paid for by having a 24 hour feed. Big Brother meets WoT.

Nah, RJ would've hated it. GRRM is enough of a madman to go for it though.

Crispin's Crispian
08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Sigh.

I really need to win that big lottery. That sounds like a plan. 3 months non stop reading and arguing. hehehehe.

Hey, someone needs to pitch it to a production team and get it paid for by having a 24 hour feed. Big Brother meets WoT.

Nah, RJ would've hated it. GRRM is enough of a madman to go for it though.
Friggin' awesome idea. Can you imagine the ratings we would have? Especially with all of us reading most of the time!

Brita
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Friggin' awesome idea. Can you imagine the ratings we would have? Especially with all of us reading most of the time!

ROFLMAO! Well- that's what editing is for. They can just show the scenes with drama involved- I am sure there will be a few :D

As for the reading they could sum it up in a nice montage with some inspirational music...snapshots of each of us thoughtfully gazing at the wonder known as WoT.

1Powerslave
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
A reread sounds cool. I'm in, if life wills it. And if I am converted about LTT's realness I'll eat my shoe.

How I rate WoT and Malazan depends a lot on what I've have recently immersed myself in. They are both awesome works in my opinion, and they stand very close in my book.

Davian93
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Paran finally came back into the story in GotM and I can follow it...I'm now at the dangerous part of a series where I'm teetering on the edge of being drawn in...do I dare start a new series?

cottillion
08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Paran finally came back into the story in GotM and I can follow it...I'm now at the dangerous part of a series where I'm teetering on the edge of being drawn in...do I dare start a new series?
Don't fight it. It only gets better when everything actually starts to come together and make sense.

Davian93
08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm about 200+ pages in at this point...yeah its starting to get good...damnit I'm gonna have to go to Borders and get the next couple books in the series.

Marie Curie 7
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
So what is it about Erikson that people who think he's better than RJ find so wonderful?

Terez
08-09-2008, 02:15 AM
I'd say it's probably the complexity of the story, along with the huge step away from genre stereotypes. That on top of the fact that it's a good story, of course. :)

jason wolfbrother
08-09-2008, 04:50 AM
For me it is the sheer complexity of the world and how it works. There is so much going on and yet he does pull it all together and show hot it's all tied in and part of a bigger picture. Plus the great characters, and so many of them are just awe inspiring. And others just bring a smile to my face every time they appear "on stage" as it were. Kruppe, Tehol and Bugg, and Iskaral Pust to name a few specifically. Trying to follow Kruppe's train of thought, or Pust's external "internal" dialogue is nearly impossible to do straight-faced. And following any conversation between Bugg and Tehol is impossible to read without laughing out loud.

"Try to clean up around here."

"If I've got time."

Terez
08-09-2008, 04:53 AM
You listed some of the funniest characters, but I'd definitely add Hellian to that list. She's a recent introduction, and a fairly minor character, but she cracks me up. :D

cottillion
08-10-2008, 12:08 AM
The others have said it better then I so I really have very little to add.

He thought about that, too. “The Tiste Edur”
“Yes. I killed them.”
“You did?”
Bugg nodded, looked briefly away. “I am afraid I lost my temper.”
“Ah.”
The manservant looked back. “You don’t sound surprised.”
“I’m not. I’ve seen you step on cockroaches. You are ruthless.”
“Anyhting for a meal.”

Frenzy
08-10-2008, 01:11 AM
"For me it is the sheer complexity of the world and how it works. There is so much going on and yet he does pull it all together and show hot it's all tied in and part of a bigger picture"

if you say so, jwb. i just finished Memories of Ice, and i've yet to see it. The first book was annoying with it's emo vibe, but i liked how the main cliché character (the boy picked by the gods) did nothing but give the other characters something to move around, as opposed to the cliché of saving the world. That was original.

Second book introduced a few interesting characters, but it was more of the emo 'life sucks and is meaningless and it sucks but i'll keep going because i have nothing better to do' stuff. Coltaine was cool, but then again so is Lan. That character is pretty archetypical.

Third book was enjoyable, mostly because it was predictable. Everything was foreshadowed & telegraphed, and it wrapped up pretty neatly at the end. i could walk away from the series now and be satisfied.

Which concerns me, because the last two series i felt that way about mid-series really stank after that. (Rice's Vampire Chronicles should've ended with Queen of the Damned, and i never got past book 4 in Jack Whyte's Cameloud Chronicles.) So i haven't decided if i'm going to read book 4, or reread the first three, or just be done with it.

jason wolfbrother
08-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Well you are right at that point where is starts to come together. Book 4 reintroduces some characters from Book 2 along with some new characters. It is complex and hard to follow but it is worth the struggle, imnsho ;) The first time I picked up book 4 I almost put it back down. I was wondering just who in the hell is the guy? Whole 1st part of the book is about one character and his back story and you, or at least I didn't, don't figure out who he is until near the end of the 1st section. It is worth it Frenzy. If you honestly think it isn't after finishing book 6 or 7 then...~thinks really really hard~ I'll eat a FYR wing ;)

DahLliA
08-10-2008, 05:34 AM
JWB pretty much summed up why I think MBotF is better than WoT. just something about the way Erikson can add so many characters and storylines and still have it make sense at the end of the book.

and book 4 almost put me off the first time I read it too. mostly because I wanted to read more about the remaining bridgeburners and paran. but after getting over that first bump I think book 4 is one of the best. and the story just gets better after that so it's well worth sticking to it

Isabel
08-10-2008, 07:06 AM
In my opinion Erikson isn't better. I atleast don't care that much about the characters. You never get to know the characters. Plus every time you know one, he or she gets killed.
Besides that: all the time someone bigger comes on screen for another threat, that gets a bit boring.

Davian93
08-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I bought books 2 and 3 yesterday and I've almost finished book 1...so far so good though its still hard to follow.

JSUCamel
08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
It'll get better. I voted that I liked the Erikson better than RJ, but the only reason I can give is that I'm just enjoying the Malazan books immensely right now. It's been years since I've read through WoT and even then, I've read them so many times it's lost some of its wonder and mystery for me, while Erikson's world is so detailed and well done that I'm finding myself on the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen next and how certain things work.

caladanbrood
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
In my opinion Erikson isn't better. I atleast don't care that much about the characters. You never get to know the characters. Plus every time you know one, he or she gets killed.
Besides that: all the time someone bigger comes on screen for another threat, that gets a bit boring.
I care about the characters, though I can see why some people might not - but the storyline and worldbuilding is more important to me anyway :D

Terez
08-11-2008, 09:35 AM
My favorite thing about the characters is that they're, for the most part, not all that glamorous. They're not extraordinary people, and they're not beautiful, and their lives suck. That doesn't make it more realistic than WoT to me (though I'm sure many would disagree), but realistic in a rather different fashion.

And I can see (and respect) why Frenzy has gotten from this "life sucks" the "emo vibe" she mentioned, but I didn't see it that way. It's an accurate reflection, fantasy aside, of the struggles of real life. Life sucks, but we keep on trucking anyway, and we try to enjoy life for the pleasures of it, rather than giving up because we sometimes can't see the point of trying.

DahLliA
08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
just finished Toll the Hounds. and the ending simply left me stunned...

as for characters getting killed off. that's one of the many things that make MBotF so good. a good story needs tragedy IMO. as long as you don't go overboard like GRRM and kill everyone. I think Erikson has found the perfect balance there. enough characters you like get killed to bring the story "down to earth", but more than enough of them survive so you actually want to keep on reading

Terez
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
just finished Toll the Hounds. and the ending simply left me stunned... Isn't it crazy, when you get to that point where the shit hits the fan, and you realize, "hey...there's 200 pages left!" :D

as for characters getting killed off. that's one of the many things that make MBotF so good. a good story needs tragedy IMO. as long as you don't go overboard like GRRM and kill everyone. I think Erikson has found the perfect balance there. I agree with that 100%. He's about halfway between RJ and GRRM when it comes to killing off major characters.

DahLliA
08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Isn't it crazy, when you get to that point where the shit hits the fan, and you realize, "hey...there's 200 pages left!" :D

yeah. loved that. I read most of the 4th part in one go because I couldn't put the book down :p

jason wolfbrother
08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
~still impatiently waiting for amazon.co.uk to send Toll of the Hounds and Return of the Crimson Guard~ :(~

October I think :(

DahLliA
08-13-2008, 04:42 AM
~still impatiently waiting for amazon.co.uk to send Toll of the Hounds and Return of the Crimson Guard~ :(~

I gotta get return of the crimson guard too. and there's more of the bauchelain and korbal broach books than I knew

Terez
08-13-2008, 04:45 AM
Well, I think pretty much everyone's had a chance to vote and make their Erikson pitch/rant, and at least one person is already moving into the realm of changing his vote, so let's kill it for now and do it again in a year or so. :D