PDA

View Full Version : killing off characters?

Frenzy
09-18-2011, 01:41 AM
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/koma-comic-strip-a-clash-of-writers.jpg

Uno
09-18-2011, 02:22 AM
There's probably a happy medium, what? Martin kills off main characters in excess, whereas with RJ, you know that--no matter what the odds--even secondary characters that have had any amount of "screen time" are going to come out of it ok, which rather ruins the suspense. If there's a primary character involved, it's just a matter of how they're going to kill the six hundred thousand baddies that caught them unawares.

Kimon
09-18-2011, 02:47 AM
There's probably a happy medium, what? Martin kills off main characters in excess, whereas with RJ, you know that--no matter what the odds--even secondary characters that have had any amount of "screen time" are going to come out of it ok, which rather ruins the suspense. If there's a primary character involved, it's just a matter of how they're going to kill the six hundred thousand baddies that caught them unawares.

The main problem with GRRM is that he started out with such a beautifully executed tragic death with Ned Stark, but then cheapened the impact of that death first by killing off too many characters, then exacerbated that problem by resurrecting Catelyn and failing to kill off Dany. I've long since given up hope on any sort of kathartic denouement.

Concerning RJ, as much as I love his books, I can't help but feel that he cheapened what could have been a perfectly heroic, and inspirationally self-sacrificing death with Moiraine.

Isabel
09-18-2011, 02:59 AM
@Frenzy: LOL ;)

We don't know how many people will die in the Last Battle. According to Brandon it seems at least a few characters die.

Frenzy
09-18-2011, 03:17 AM
Concerning RJ, as much as I love his books, I can't help but feel that he cheapened what could have been a perfectly heroic, and inspirationally self-sacrificing death with Moiraine.
THIS!!

omfg this...

Sarevok
09-18-2011, 07:19 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but... who's the woman in that picture? :(

GonzoTheGreat
09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but... who's the woman in that picture? :(GRRM, probably.

Isabel
09-18-2011, 08:35 AM
The women in that picture is JK Rowling ;) The writer of Harry Potter.

DahLliA
09-18-2011, 07:17 PM
There's probably a happy medium, what?

Steven Erikson !

and lol at the picture :p

Uno
09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Steven Erikson !

and lol at the picture :p

I made it through one of Erikson's books, but only because you'll read just about anything at airports. Never again.

Kimon
09-18-2011, 08:02 PM
There actually is a rather well known fantasy author who walks a middle path of carnage - Tolkien. Sure, not many of the good guys died in LotR, but quite a few of the dwarves (most notably Thorin) died in the Hobbit, and nigh all of the Noldor died in the Silmarillion.

Uno
09-18-2011, 08:17 PM
There actually is a rather well known fantasy author who walks a middle path of carnage - Tolkien. Sure, not many of the good guys died in LotR, but quite a few of the dwarves (most notably Thorin) died in the Hobbit, and nigh all of the Noldor died in the Silmarillion.

That's true. I usually don't mentally group Tolkien together with his successors, I suppose. I don't think the Silmarillion was written in such a way that the reader forged a strong personal connection with most of the characters, though. But one does get to know Thorin pretty well.

Kimon
09-18-2011, 08:42 PM
That's true. I usually don't mentally group Tolkien together with his successors, I suppose. I don't think the Silmarillion was written in such a way that the reader forged a strong personal connection with most of the characters, though. But one does get to know Thorin pretty well.

Perhaps it is just that the Silmarillion was by far my favorite of his works, but I've always felt that many of the death scenes in it, but particularly those of Finrod Felagund and Turin Turambar were excellently crafted.

Daekyras
09-19-2011, 07:39 AM
There actually is a rather well known fantasy author who walks a middle path of carnage - Raymond e Feist.

Fixed, you know, for accuracy.

Gilshalos Sedai
03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Some should die. Yes. Racking up a body count to rival Jeffrey Dahmer...? Not so much.

eht slat meit
03-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Eh, that's kinda true, but that's the story-telling process, and I get the impression that there's meant to be a bit of old-school "big heroic battle" at the end in it.

I hope so, in RJ's case, because it would be rather disappointing to see every last hero walk through the series untouched by meaningful deaths.

As far as Martin is concerned, I'm betting even the big heroes at the end are meant to die in a bloody FFA. Hard to care when he drops the resurrection card into the mix.

Gilshalos Sedai
03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I think you mean Zombification.

Nazbaque
03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't think WOT is all that lacking in death. Way too many death teases but neither too few nor too many actual deaths. Ingtar, Fel, Anaiya, Verin, Adeleas, Vandene, Aram, Hopper (and he does it twice) Jain and some others that I would count as important good guys and gals but can't recall at this point.

But as for TG. Mat and Perrin survive and I think Rand will somehow cheat death. Moiraine and Thom will again do death teases, but this time only they will believe the other one died. Nynaeve and Lan will probably survive but I'm not certain. I'd like Siuan and Bryne to survive but I don't think either one will. Logain will die. Rhuarc and some other clanchiefs will die. Cadsuane dies. Davram Bashere dies not sure with Rodel Ituralde and Agelmar Jagand. Loial will survive but his mother and Elder Haman won't. I'm not sure if I want Egwene to die, but I'm pretty sure she won't. Aviendha, Min and Elayne will survive. Tuon and Faile will survive. Tam is the only Village council member who survives. Amys will survive and so will Melaine but Bair won't. With Sorilea I still get a strong shadow runner vibe so her death might be a pretty big thing, but even if she is on the good side she will die. With the rest I have no clue.