PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody read Warhammer?

Sei'taer
09-19-2011, 09:21 AM
A friend of mine told me I needed to pick up the Gotrek and Felix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotrek_and_Felix) Omnibus. I'm not sure if it's my kind of book or not. I've never read any of the Warhammer books but he says these are a lot more fun. Anyone have any thoughts?

Isabel
09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
I haven't read them. However, my impression is that the warhammer books are very simple fantasy, so if you need an easy quick read, than read it.
But if you actually expect some quality, don't read it :D

WinespringBrother
09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I bought the Eisenhorn Omnibus (a trilogy set in Warhammer) based on some positive reviews, but haven't read it yet, I'll let you know how it is after I read it...

Mort
09-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Never read and never played Warhammer. I guess they are about in the same league as the Star Wars novels. You got to be a big fan of Star Wars to appreciate them, because it's mostly sub par books.

confused at birth
09-21-2011, 08:49 PM
depends on which books some keep the same author others change it halfway through a series.

some are good some are boring you need to know the games quite well or a lot of it will not mean anything to you. and you have to check when the book was first published and look for the rules and contests that were out at the same time to get the context right for the story or the current rules will not fit what you are reading.

the books have been around for years but the rules and stories change every 4-5 years so the ideas in earlier parts of a series will vanish as they are written out of the rules.

chunt24
10-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Warhammer has a lot of books and I don't where to start. My friend started reading Gaunt's Ghost stories and Horus Heresy and he said it's a good read. So there, maybe i'd help you :D

Bryan Blaire
01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Warhammer Fantasy: stuff like the Gortrex and Malus Darkblade material.

Warhammer 40K: Sci-fi with Space Marines in power armor, orks and elves in space, and a couple of somewhat unique races: Eisenhorn, Gaunt's Ghosts, Horus Heresy series.

None of them are the absolute greatest, and I think the Horus Heresy may actually be the only books where you (supposedly) don't need to know much about the setting to be able to get into them, because they pretty much start after the War of Unification on Earth and are the middle to end of the Great Crusade (ie, for this setting, basically the beginning).