PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Amber

Wunderwaffe
10-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Anyone read these books? My mom buys me a new book whenever I finish one so I had her pick http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amber-Complete-Chronicles/dp/0380809060/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317688066&sr=8-1 this up at B&N tonight for me.

Can anyone give any feedback on this series?

Thanks.

Isabel
10-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I have read it a couple of years ago. I really liked the books, only if i remember the series isn't completed?
However, I would advice you to read it. Its one of the classics and you can see how it influenced other works.

GonzoTheGreat
10-04-2011, 03:42 AM
It is sort of two series. The first one left a bunch of open plot lines. The second one closed many of those, and left some more open. Then there's a series of three prequels (written by another author, Betancourt), which is not completely consistent with the main series, but is still quite good.
All in all, I can definitely recommend this.

Once you've finished, let us know, and we can discuss some of the morals in the books. I've considered starting a thread about that here when I reread them all a couple of months ago, but I didn't get around to doing it then.

Edited to add:
The reason why there were so many open plot lines is probably that there were lots of plot lines anyway, and closing them all in a satisfactory way would've been impossible. Leaving some open fit the series far better.

Wunderwaffe
10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm about halfway through 'Gormenghast' by Mervyn Peake atm, but I will definitely begin reading Amber when I'm done with that. I'm not going to immediately read 'Titus Alone' because I think I will be burned out of the comings, goings, and happenings within Gormenghast castle by the conclusion of the second novel.

I will definitely provide some feedback and hopefully we can start a discussion about Amber when I'm done with, say, the first four books. (which I believe chronicle Corwin -- at least from what I've read)

Thanks for your posts.

GonzoTheGreat
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
The first five books are from Corwin's POV, the second five from that of Merlin*.

* Who may or may not be named for the Merlin of Arthurian legend.

Wunderwaffe
11-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm almost done with Sign of the Unicorn and I must say I am very pleased with my purchase thus far. Not the best work of fantasy I've ever read, but definitely worth reading. I really like Corwin, Random, and Benedict. All in all the series has some great characters and locales. The story is nothing to be ashamed of, either.