PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Review (Dav is a nerd)

Davian93
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
So Blockbuster does this thing where if you rent a movier mon-wed you can rent an older movie for free. Because of this I get to pick the free movie as long as my fiance picks whatever she actually wants for the one we're paying for. Long story short, I've rented every Star Trek movie in the past few weeks for free and now feel the urge to write a short review on them. Mind you I've already seen all of them before but still:

Here Goes:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Brutal, more brutal and even longer than I remember. I had always thought this was a horrible movie and I was right. The whole Voyager thing and innumerable extended no-action scenes killed this one for me. 1 Star

Wrath of Khan: Still the best of the bunch with superior writing, the best villian in Star Trek history (one of the top in any movie) and a wrenching ending with Spock dying. 4 Stars.

Search for Spock: Better than I remember. Ironic that Kirsti Alley thought she was too big a star to be in this one...she would have helped it out as the other Saavik sucked. Nimoy directed this "movie" and it had its moments. Christopher Lloyd was underrated as the Klingon villian and it was decent overall. 2 Stars

The Voyage Home: Meh...perhaps its because this was the one I watched the most while growing up (besides Khan) but its gotten old to me. It was still pretty good and the plot is cute though dated. Kirk getting demoted always pissed me off but it kept him in the Captain's chair and thus able to command future movies...ahem missions. 3.5 Stars

The Final Frontier: So Spock has a brother and his brother is a vulcan hippie apparently who ends up discovering the devil. Interesting plotline I suppose but there was too much forced humor and lack of a cool villian and/or fight scenes. 1 Star.

The Undiscovered Country: I liked this one alot...the parallels to current events between the US and USSR were only beaten into the viewer with a baseball bat but it was still pretty good. Christopher Plummer was an underrated casting as General Chang and it worked for me. 3.5 Stars

Generations: The use of both crews seemed a tad forced to me but it offered continuity and a final chapter for Kirk to go out in a blaze of glory. The whole Nexus plotline could have been better done and it didn't seem worthy of a movie...it seemed rather like a 2 part episode but what the hey it was their first effort with the TNG crew. I'll take it and I rememeber liking it when it first came out. 2.5 Stars.

First Contact: Finally the Borg are back...the Borg should have been the focus of the first TNG movie as they are a great villian. This movie realised that and attempted to correct for it. The beginning battle scene was well done and time travel plot device is always a good one for Star Trek. I didn't like James Cromwell for some reason. He's normally a pretty good actor so I'm not sure why that was. It was a bit darker and thus better. The history part was nice (especially before Enterprise came out so we didn't really have any of that). 3 Stars

Insurrection: 2 hours of brutalness not seen since the original movie. Sorry but this one didn't do it for me and it was a huge warning sign of what not to do with Star Trek. There was nothing I liked about this movie. 1 Star

Nemesis: Alot of people didn't care for this movie but I thought it was really good. I've always felt the Romulans were ignored when it comes to villians and this move did a good job of finally using them in that role. The Picard clone subplot was unnecessary but it didn't take from the movie. The rest of it was done pretty well and Data dying really HAD to happen as he was very noticably aging at this point and there's only so far contacts and makeup can take Brent Spiner. 3.5 Stars

That's it...I would do more indepth revies but I'm really tired from work. Thoughts?

tworiverswoman
08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I still have never watched them all.

Move one got a lot of bad hype -- but it wasn't really THAT horrid. The effects were (when the movie was new) quite awesome, though I have to admit that the 10-15 minutes the camera spent loving every incomprehensible inch of the alien spacecraft was a tad overdone...

Wrath of Khan was kick-ass. I've always loved Ricardo Montalban (Corinthian leather, anyone?) (Aside -- his role as Antonio Banderas' character's father in Spy Kids 2 was HILARIOUS)

Search for Spock was pretty good. "You lied." "I exagerated."

The Voyage Home -- hands down, my top favorite Star Trek movie. "Nuclear Vessels. Ve are looking for NUCLEAR VESSELS..."

The Final Frontier -- I know I saw it...

Same for the remainder on the list -- they made little impression on me, other than bits and pieces.

Matoyak
08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Would it offend anybody if I admitted to having never seen any star trek movie? (Well...when I was 3 my grandma forced me to watch the one with the whales and earth(?) or something like that...maybe something with time travel?)

Would it also offend anybody if I said I've only seen 2 star trek original episodes? (I've seen about 8 TNG, 2 Voyager, and 1 DSN...not sure, but I think I currently like TNG the best...though if I saw more of DSN I might end up liking it best, but it's been a while since I saw that one and might be confusing it with Voyager...)

Sarevok
08-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Hmm, I hardly remember some of the older ones... I need to go rewatch them :D

Gilshalos Sedai
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Mato, you must fix this deficiency in your education before you are allowed to call yourself a geek.

Dav, I agree with you on all fronts, except Khan and Voyage Home. I still enjoyed Voyage Home even after seeing it as an adult, but that whole chase scene in the nebula in Khan now seems definitely less cool in my jaded adulthood. It lacked suspense and was merely tedious, all I could think was that David Weber somehow did space battles better in a book.

Nemesis: I didn't think they needed to kill Data to fix Spiner's aging. Deactivation or a remodel would have been a better idea. However, I think they used it as an excuse to STOP making ST:TNG movies since Contact simply couldn't be topped.

irerancincpkc
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah, after reading that some rewatching is in order for me as well. :D

Sinistrum
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
The Motion Picture: I generally agree there Dav. The plot was pretty dumb, the uniforms sucked, and the writers passed on the perfect opportunity to redeem the movie when they disavowed the Vger/Decker merger as the creation moment for the Borg.

Wrath of Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!: Still one of my two favorite Trek movies. Just remember. You gotta role your R's sexy. Like Ricardo Montalban.

Search for Spock: This movie more than any other exemplies the U.S.S. Make Shit Up mentality so prevelant in Star Trek. Between Spock's ressurrection and the destruction of the Genesis planet, my willful suspension of disbelief was sorely tested. However I will agree that Christopher Lloyd is underrated as a Star Trek villain.

Voyage Home: This was probably the one I watched the most as a kid and the first one I saw in theaters. However, it's still really campy and more than a little preachy on environmentalism which turns me off a bit now. However it does have some redeeming qualities such as checkov running around San Fran in a full blown Russian accident in the middle of the Cold War asking about "nuklear wessels" or the hospital chase scene. Fairly good but certainly not my favorite.

Final Frontier: Uhhh yeah, Dav's criticisms pretty much sum this one up for me.

Undiscovered Country: This is without a doubt my favorite of all the Trek Movies. Great plot with lots of twists that keeps you engaged, Christopher Plummer is awesome as a villain, and it had a really good battle at the end. taH pagh taHbe!

Generations: Meh, didn't really like this one all that much. The Nexus plot line was kind of lame, Kirk's ending was sort of unbefitting of him. He should have died in an explosion instead of falling off a bridge. The only redeeming quality was Data's emotion chip and some of the funnier moments it produced. Life forms! You tiny little life forms! You precious little life forms! Where are you?

First Contact: Another favorite of mine. Anything with the Borg involved pretty much rules. And Captain Picard going to town with a Tommy Gun was awesome.

Insurrection: I kind of liked this one a lot more than most people. I thought F. Murray Abraham did a good job as the primary villain in it and although the primary plot wasn't that great, it had a lot of good actions scenes in it.

Nemesis: I liked this one all the way up until the end. You can't kill Data! You just can't! It's so wrong I don't even know where to begin. He is probably one of my two favorite Star Trek characters of all time, and to kill him off just spoils the movie.

Davian93
08-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I still say that Data HAD to die in Nemesis...Spiner was getting too obviously old and his eyes looked all weird at that point.

I was of course highly disapointed that nothing ever came of the obvious spinoff of Riker with his own ship w/ Troi and Wesley Crusher as his engineer (deleted scenes in Nemesis show this). That or a DS9 based movie using Capt. Sisko or even a combination of the 2 would have been awesome.

To Gil: I should clarify, I wasn't trying to say I still didn't like Voyage Home...only that it was quite as good as I remember. I would rank it 3rd overall after Khan and First Contact personally.

That's another clarification, First Contact should have 3.5 Stars, not 3 as originally posted.

Personally I would kill for another ST television series as long as Janeway has nothing to do with it...Voyager basically killed the tv shows IMHO. I thought Enterprise was much better despite its lower ratings and cancellation. Voyager was just brutal though. Synopsis of all Voyager episodes "Well we could use this wormhole/alien technology/blah blah blah to get back to the Alpha Quadrant but it would violate the Prime Directive and thus we won't get home anytime soon." In real life Janeway would have been shot in the back after about week 3 of that crap and they would have gone home. Gilligans island on a starship was kinda a dumb plotline...especially compared to the Dominion War plot arc that DS9 had going.

Ishara
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, Wil Wheaton got screwed there...

Sinistrum
08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I still say that Data HAD to die in Nemesis...Spiner was getting too obviously old and his eyes looked all weird at that point.

There would have been nothing stopping them from re-casting the role. Spiner's age still doesn't take away from the fact that they killed off one of the coolest characters in Star Trek. It would be like Jordan killing off Mat or GRRM killing of Tyrion.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Like I said, remodel. New chassis. Something other than destruction.

Davian93
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah but he didn't really "die" because he downloaded his katra to the B-4...thus clearing the way for another Data.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-08-2008, 07:50 AM
As long as its not Star Trek: The Search for Data.

Sinistrum
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I dunno, I always thought it would be kind of cool if say his head survived the explosion and someone used that to rebuild him. But alas, I don't think the Star Trek writers are that creative.

Frenzy
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
i agree with what most have posted here. i loved the camp in IV & VI, especially since Star Trek itself IS camp. The dinner scene in VI was classic, one of the best Trek scenes out ther. And i have to admit i kinda like III. Mostly for Christopher Lloyd & John Larroquette as Klingons, though, the rest was just there. Wrath of Khan should be required viewing for every fanboy/girl on the planet. i think i can trace my phobia of bugs to Khan. V sucked, plain and simple. Even Uhura doing a feather dance couldn't save that steaming pile.

The Borg TNG movie was alright. They could've done MUCH better with the Borg Queen, though. She annoyed me. Haven't seen Nemesis all the way thru yet. I skipped Insurrection because i heard it blew goats. And that was from my older bro, who's like THE biggest trekker geek in the galaxy.